Oil-rich Republic of Chad invites Republic of Turkey companies

Hindustani78

http://aa.com.tr/en/africa/oil-rich-chad-invites-turkish-companies/1017591

Oil-rich Chad invites Turkish companies

Energy Minister Bechir Madet says Turkey can help harness country's underground resources

By Alaaddin Dogru

N’DJAMENA, Chad

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s visit to Chad has paved the way for cooperation in extracting hydrocarbon energy, the African state’s energy minister said Thursday.

Erdogan’s one-day visit earlier this week was part of an African tour that included Sudan and Tunisia.

“We see this visit as a huge opportunity,” Petroleum and Energy Minister Bechir Madet told Anadolu Agency.

“We signed joint agreements on hydrocarbon fields with my counterpart [Turkish Energy Minister Berat] Albayrak and we will welcome Turkish companies to extract oil and energy resources in our country.”

Chad has crude oil reserves that were estimated at 900 million barrels in 2004 and it also has plentiful sunshine, offering opportunities for solar energy projects.

“I believe we can increase the use of our underground sources with the help of our brother, Turkey,” Madet said.

“I have no doubt that the two countries will be very profitable in economic terms in accordance with the ‘win-win’ model.

“I have a map of Chad's oil reserves. Even today, if demanded, we would immediately start production and export of petroleum through Turkish firms.”

The Turkish government’s win-win model pledges not to exploit but support the African people and African development.

Erdogan’s visit, the first by a Turkish president, was dominated by business forums and the signing of agreements to strengthen economic partnerships.

Chad presents opportunities for Turkish investors in construction, agriculture, food processing and storage, animal product processing, textiles, machinery and energy, according to Turkey’s Economy Ministry.

“I invite the Turkish companies to come and invest here,” Madet said. “I promise to provide them with every kind of convenience and support. They can start to produce electricity immediately.”

As well as oil, Chad has rich gold and uranium deposits.

Turkey's imports from Chad in the first 10 months of 2017 stood at $26.9 million while exports were $14.9 million, according to the Turkish Statistical Institute.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles