Obama will talk to China about hacking our weapon systems

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
White House: Obama will talk to China about hacking our weapon systems | WashingtonExaminer.com

Chinese hackers gained access to some of the top weapon systems in the United States military, especially those that project American power in the Pacific, according to a Pentagon report prepared by a Defense Department advisory council, a topic that President Obama's spokesman said would be discussed at his next meeting with Chinese leaders.

"I've seen the report," White House press secretary Jay Carney said during the press gaggle Tuesday. "I would refer you to the Pentagon for specifics about the potential hacking of weapon systems. But I would note, as you've heard from the president, his national security adviser and others, as well as myself, cybersecurity is a key priority of this administration. It is a key concern that we have. It is an issue that we raise at every level in our meetings with our Chinese counterparts, and I'm sure will be a topic of discussion when the president meets with President Xi in California in early June. It was certainly a topic of conversation when National Security Adviser Donilon was having meetings in China, from which he is just returning now."

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Pentagon: The Chinese stole our newest weapons

The designs for more than two dozen major weapons systems used by the United States military have fallen into the hands of the Chinese, US Department of Defense officials say.

Blueprints for the Pentagon's most advanced weaponry, including the Black Hawk helicopter and the brand new Littoral Combat Ship used by the Navy, have all been compromised, the Defense Science Board claims in a new confidential report.

The Washington Post acknowledged late Monday that they have seen a copy of the report and confirmed that the Chinese now have the know-how to emulate some of the Pentagon's most sophisticated programs.

"This is billions of dollars of combat advantage for China," a senior military official not authorized to speak on the record told Post reporters. "They've just saved themselves 25 years of research and development."

"It's nuts," the source said of the report.

The Defense Science Board, a civilian advisory committee within the Pentagon, fell short of accusing the Chinese of stealing the designs. However, the Post's report comes on the heels of formal condemnation courtesy of the DoD issued only earlier this month.

"In 2012, numerous computer systems around the world, including those owned by the US government, continued to be targeted for intrusions, some of which appear to be attributable directly to the Chinese government and military," the Defense Department alleged in a previous report.

Ellen Nakashima, the Post reporter who detailed the DSB analysis this week, wrote that the computer systems at the Pentagon may not have necessarily been breached. Instead, rather, she suggested that the defense contractors who built these weapons programs have likely been subjected to a security breach. US officials speaking on condition of anonymity, she reported, said that a closed door meeting last year ended with evidence being presented of major defense contractors suffering from intrusions. When reached for comment, the largest defense contractors — Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and Northrop Grumman — all refused to weigh in.

Chinese hackers have previously been accused of waging cyberattacks on a number of US entities, including billion-dollar corporations and governmental departments. In 2007 it was reported that China accumulated the blueprints for the Pentagon's F-35 fighter jets, the most expensive weapons program ever created, but the latest news from the DSB decries that much more has been compromised.

According to the Post, the plans for the advanced Patriot missile system, an Army anti-ballistic program and a number of aircraft have all ended up in the hands of the Chinese. The result could mean the People's Republic is working towards recreating the hallmarks of America's military might for their own offensive purposes, while also putting China in a position where even the most advanced weaponry in the world won't be able to withstand complex defensive capabilities once those projects are reverse engineered.

"If they got into the combat systems, it enables them to understand it to be able to jam it or otherwise disable it," Winslow T. Wheeler, director of the Straus Military Reform Project at the Project on Government Oversight, told the Post. "If they've got into the basic algorithms for the missile and how they behave, somebody better get out a clean piece of paper and start to design all over again."

Mandiant, a US security firm located outside of Washington, reported earlier this year that the China has enlisted an elite squadron of cyber warrior to attack American computer systems and conduct espionage on behalf of the People's Liberation Army. When the report was released in February, Mandiant said the PLA's elusive Unit 61398 has successfully compromised the networks of more than 141 companies across 20 major industries, including Coca-Cola and a Canadian utility company. Those hacks reportedly subsided after Mandiant went public with their claims, but earlier this month the firm said those attacks have since been renewed.

"They dialed it back for a little while, though other groups that also wear uniforms didn't even bother to do that," CEO Kevin Mandia told the New York Times recently. "I think you have to view this as the new normal."

On their part, China has adamantly denied all claims that they've waged attacks on US networks. Following Mandiant's initial report, a spokesperson for China's foreign ministry said the claims were "irresponsible and unprofessional."

"Hacking attacks are transnational and anonymous," Hong Lei said. "Determining their origins are extremely difficult. We don't know how the evidence in this so-called report can be tenable."
http://rt.com/usa/us-chinese-report-defense-888/

:tsk: :tsk:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Last edited:

Impluseblade

I don't know a lot of hacking but I always have two questions.
1) Most of the allegations are based on IP addresses that can be linked to some servers in China. If I were a thief and stole something from your home, why would I leave my address at the scene?
2) Why are these computers with top secrete so easy to be hacked? Are the IT guys in these companies not competent? I doubt so. I think many of these systems don't even have physical connections with outside internet.

American hackers are amateurs and geeks.

Chinese hackers are part of PLA.

Chinese hackers steal plans for F-35.

What could America steal from PLAAF?

Impluseblade

Wang Xiaoyun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wang Xiaoyun (simplified Chinese: 王小云; traditional Chinese: 王小雲; pinyin: Wáng Xiǎoyún) (born 1966) is a researcher and professor in the Department of Mathematics and System Science, Shandong University, Shandong, China.

At the rump session of CRYPTO 2004, she and co-authors demonstrated collision attacks against MD5, SHA-0 and other related hash functions. (A collision occurs when two distinct messages result in the same hash function output). They received a standing ovation for their work.

In February 2005 it was reported that Wang and co-authors had found a method to find collisions in the SHA-1 hash function, which is used in many of today's mainstream security products. Their attack is estimated to require less than 2^69 operations, far fewer than the 2^80 operations previously thought needed to find a collision in SHA-1. Their work was published at the CRYPTO '05 conference. In August 2005, an improved attack on SHA-1, discovered by Xiaoyun Wang, Andrew Yao and Frances Yao, was announced at the CRYPTO conference rump session. The time complexity of the new attack is claimed to be 2^63.

-----
Maybe Prof. Wang made another breakthrough after 2005 and her research has not yet be published. However, SHA-1 has been replaced by SHA224, SHA256, SHA384 or or SHA512 these days and it is hard to break the new standards within a "reasonable" period.

no smoking

Country flag

Really? I just can't believe someone would really accept that USA doesn't have cyber soldiers of their own!

Do you have any solid evidence? Except some "anonymous souce"?

Yes, Americans said so! Any evidence?

Well, Chinese said that they can and they did!

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Really? I just can't believe someone would really accept that USA doesn't have cyber soldiers of their own!

Do you have any solid evidence? Except some "anonymous souce"?

Yes, Americans said so! Any evidence?

Well, Chinese said that they can and they did!
There are already threads with posts on the subject with some credible sources.

I think blaming Pentagon blaming Chinese is pointless anyway, and revealing any damage done creates more liability.

If US can't defeat Chinese digital threat, shame on us.

J20!

Country flag

Oooh please!!!! Do you honestly believe that Ewald?

Hacking originated at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology( or MIT) way back in the 50's. American hackers have the longest, most proficient and most illustrious history.

The hackers YOU know about are college armatures. So what you're saying is the CIA, FBI etc haven't gotten wind of the biggest data collection tools since espionage began? That they are too gallant and noble to hack foreign networks? How do you think they get their info in this digital age?

This is just the white house crying wolf over something they do as well.

How do you think the Pentagon get's its information for the release of the annual China Report? A detailed report that investigates major Chinese weapons systems as well quite classified information on developmental and brand-spanking-new, national security imperative ballistic missiles. The days of 007 ended way back in the cold war, this is the hacker age my friend.

Chinese government offices and AVIC's networks are some of the most foreign hacker assaulted computer systems on the globe. Please don't fall for the political dog and pony show... The biggest hacking threats out there are the ones you don't know about.

Last edited:

J20!

Country flag
Hacking is an international endeavour and problem. Almost all major economic and military powers have multiple hacking arms in their armed forces as well as intelligence agencies. Trying to single out the biggest source of international hacking, ie China, as Washingtron seems to be doing is hypocricy at its core. The US comes in a close second after China as a source of international hackers:

Origins of Global Hacks: America And China are Leader | CyberGuerre

Where do hackers come from? | Global tracking ranks hacks by country of origin

Computer hacks originating in the UK cost the global economy over $2 billion in 2011 according to latest research from FTSE listed IT assurance company, NCC Group.
The research, which tracks the country of origin of hacks, observed over 23 million hacks attempted in the UK in the second half of 2011. This figure places the UK at 15th in the global league table.

The US and China are positioned 1st and 2nd, respectively. Together these two countries are responsible for nearly 40% of the world's hack attempts, costing the global economy over $44 billion each year.

Interestingly, five of the top 10 countries are located in Western Europe, with Italy, the Netherlands, France, Denmark and Germany accounting for nearly 200 million attempted hacks, costing the global economy an estimated $16 billion.

Rob Cotton, NCC Group's chief executive, comments: "Reading the papers each day, it's easy to think of hacking as something that happens to us from afar; that we're victims of foreign criminal gangs in developing countries. Yet hackers can be anywhere in the world, as our research illustrates, including on our own doorstep.

"Fighting this global threat will only work with global collaboration. We hear lots about governments wanting to work together and there's a strong financial motivation to find this long-suggested global solution but progress is painfully slow.

"I'm certain that when we look at these figures again the number of hacks and the cost to the global economy will have increased. I'm less certain that progress will have been made in the global battle against these hackers.

The research is based on intrusion detection logs monitored by DSHield, a cooperative network security community based in the US. Stats do not necessarily indicate successful access, just unauthorised attempts and attacks can be routed through IP addresses in different countries.
China and the US rank as no. 1 and no. 2 respectively. They also rank no. 1 and no. 2 in the number of internet users in their populations. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they are the biggest hacker countries.

Same thing goes for pollution. China and the States rank no. 1 and no. 2 respectively, mostly because they are the largest economies and industries on the globe.

What I want you to note is that in both cases Washington has used the issue in question as a "China threat" discussion topic, despite coming in a close second in both categories, and in the case of pollution, despite being outpaced by Chinese "green" initiative/anti-pollution project and policy implementation.

Don't be amongst the (figurative) ignorant crowd screaming witch as an innocent is burned, as is encouraged by the White house. Because if China is a hacker threat, then the US is most definitely one too.

t_co

@J20!

But Chinese people are dirty, filthy, unimaginative, uncreative, subhuman thieves, while Americans are responsible, contributing, upstanding, global citizens. Which nation would you rather have snooping around your data networks?

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
@J20!

But Chinese people are dirty, filthy, unimaginative, uncreative, subhuman thieves, while Americans are responsible, contributing, upstanding, global citizens. Which nation would you rather have snooping around your data networks?
Knock off the drama. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SinghSher1984

Tihar Jail
Banned
Unplug ur router.. I mean college kids hack the FBI it's funny, they don't even run firewalls and forward all their ports.

I read once, about directed energy US weapons and how they purposely brought PLA COS instead of a gov. official to see it.

Next day Chinese stance changed from dancing about Taiwan invasion, to well just have diplomatic talks.

I strongly suspect, after seeing some shit that if it's connected to the internet it's not their most advanced plans. I mean, tbh Idk if BES has been hacked yet and that's in every company.

natarajan

Usa itself cant save their ass i dont know indian all secret information will be with china including atv,tejas,icbm etc

Global Defence

New threads

Articles