Obama kills Airborne Laser and Future Combat System

Vladimir79

Professional
New defense bill cuts waste, but not enough: Obama
Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:27am EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama will say on Wednesday there is still too much waste in U.S. defense spending, despite a number of costly projects being terminated in the 2010 defense authorization bill.

The bill authorizes Pentagon operations, and Obama's administration threatened a veto because it calls for several programs the Pentagon had deemed unnecessary. Among those is an F-35 fighter jet engine built by General Electric Co and Rolls-Royce Group Plc.

"This bill isn't perfect. There is still more waste we need to cut. There are still more fights we need to win," Obama will say, according to excerpts of remarks he will deliver at a White House ceremony to sign the bill into law.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, Vice President Joe Biden and members of the Congress will attend.

Obama has taken aim at no-bid contracts and costly defense contracts that are often plagued by massive cost overruns and delays.

"No longer will we be spending nearly two billion dollars to buy more F-22 fighter jets that the Pentagon says they don't need," Obama will say on Wednesday.

He will say he rejects "the notion that we have to waste billions of taxpayer dollars to keep this nation secure."

The bill also terminates programs such as the Future Combat Systems and the airborne laser, and a new presidential helicopter that costs nearly as much as Air Force One.

Both the VH-71 presidential helicopter and the F-22 are made by Lockheed Martin Corp.

Obama said the bill would fund the Joint Strike Fighter, the littoral combat ship and more helicopters.

New defense bill cuts waste, but not enough: Obama | Politics | Reuters

Wow --- this guy is going to kill USA's technological advantage. 7 more years of this bloke and Russia will catch up. :dfi-1:

jakojako777

Wow --- this guy is going to kill USA's technological advantage. 7 more years of this bloke and Russia will catch up. :dfi-1:
:twizt:
I can't agree more with every word you say Vladimir!
That is great news indeed !
:crazy:He is as deadly for US army as Bush was for USA positive image in the world!

Vladimir79

Professional
:twizt:
I can't agree more with every word you say Vladimir!
That is great news indeed !
:crazy:He is as deadly for US army as Bush was for USA positive image in the world!
Maybe that is the way he wants it. The less threatening Amerika is, the more the world will like it.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

Wow --- this guy is going to kill USA's technological advantage. 7 more years of this bloke and China will catch up. :dfi-1:
I fixed that for you. :connie_searchingsky

jakojako777

Maybe that is the way he wants it. The less threatening Amerika is, the more the world will like it.

I doubt that his reason is so subtle!:viannen_10:
More like down to the ground - money problems...
To me all this looks more like F-22 situation ...
(we USA are already strongest - this stuff is just so far away ahead of everybody- and money is needed for more urgent things like our WARS)
He is not soldier in his head there is not point to spend so much money
(they do NOT have) on something that will be after sometime outdated anyway.

But I might be completely wrong about all this of course...

BTW where is the Russian (mobile) laser Vladimir? Russia (Soviets) was never behind USA in lasers...is that now the case ?:animals_horse:

jakojako777

I fixed that for you. :connie_searchingsky

Hmmm....Are you sure that you are Indian? That "correcting" was not very....how should I say... it was not very...patriotic, huh?!:fighting:

I personally think that Russia should not be underestimated and personally I'm convinced that they will do plenty of catching up on USA in next 10years (thanks to cooperation with India also):Laie_42:

IMM

"you develop a weapon, your enemy will develop a better one and this cycle goes on"

This is what is happening in the world. Most of the income of the country is being spent on military rather than well fare of civilians. I am very glad and surprised to know about cut downs on its military spending from AMERICA.

Hats off to you Obama....

May all countries come to agreement to not develop any weapons to counter each other. which are rarely used and if they are used it is too destructive.

Sorry if you do not understand my english.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles