Obama in India: Good visit? Or very good visit?

Zebra

Country flag
Obama in India: Good visit? Or very good visit? - The Economic Times

By Indrani Bagchi, TNN | 29 Jan, 2015, 12.30PM IST

When Modi surprised Obama with his invitation to be chief guest of Republic Day he sent out a set of clear messages: he wanted to place the India-US relationship on the 'salaami manch' of a familiar parade; he wanted the US to be deeply involved as he struggles to pull India out of the economic suds; most important, he saw India's 'Act East' giving new energy to US 'rebalance' that, if played right, has the potential to propel India's global power ambitions......
......We cannot therefore overstate the importance of the US offer to help build a new aircraft carrier. In September, India had already stitched up another agreement for the US to cooperate in building new naval vessels with technology and avionics - India is in the process of building over 40 ships.......

Glint

Country flag
Sanctions is the single most used trick by US. Think about it.

Glint

Country flag
Not against them, just saying old habits die hard

Zebra

Country flag
Nothing to do with me if someone is against or in favour of anybody.

But at the end what India gets, it matters.

Glint

Country flag

Jalashwa Austin class ATD,
"Under terms of sale, Jalashwa cannot be used during a war or offensive operation, unless such action is granted by the United States Pentagon."

They have done this before. Other than that it's obviously gonna be a step forward for India.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

"Under terms of sale, Jalashwa cannot be used during a war or offensive operation, unless such action is granted by the United States Pentagon."

They have done this before. Other than that it's obviously gonna be a step forward for India.
What?

If it can't be used in case of War then do we buy it for selling vegetables or catch fish?

Glint

Country flag
That's the whole point buddy, I hope US doesn't play these cheap tricks again.

Zebra

Country flag
Obviously, if some country who always stayed on opponents side buy it then US can sell it with such terms.

But it won't be the case in future because India is getting closer to US now.

Nuke deal is also going through.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Whether we are getting "close" to US or not, I don't want any shit which has conditions attached to it like "Pentagon's permission required before war". If I find out that such conditions have been surreptitiously inserted into the agreement, I will become the biggest opponent of Modi sarkar on DFI.

Compersion

Country flag
Someone said that the PRC has no sanctions yet we had. Yet we are having military relationship with USA beyond what PRC has with USA.

Interpretation can work both ways and what is important is what we express. I would not doubt the IFS i trust in them and i am sure there is a proper audit trail. What we are doing has never been done before and probably will never be done again its careful and precise and It is special and the story how we have reach here is extraordinary and it still has not yet finish a few time to go. We had a parliament session that had political parties vote in very strange ways yet we managed and the reasons. In the end this is a mutli-lateral approach but it all started long time ago.

The USA wants to be "thanked" (in a way make us dependent) that's the crust of it. There is a hint of the Americans knowing we played a good *crafty) move. It was on principle and sovereignty parameters which are clear and its not at all worse compared to what our neighbors have pulled on the Americans.

Country flag
Many things from Obama visit will not be made public. For what we know IMO
It was a good visit. It could have been possibly very good but it was cut short.
If you look at the joint vision statement there is a whole spectrum of things
On the drawing board.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
this thread has gone on a b it without anyone summarising what was achieved
then hiw do we determine whether the visit was good or whatever ?

Someone said that the PRC has no sanctions yet we had. Yet we are having military relationship with USA beyond what PRC has with USA.

Interpretation can work both ways and what is important is what we express. I would not doubt the IFS i trust in them and i am sure there is a proper audit trail. What we are doing has never been done before and probably will never be done again its careful and precise and It is special and the story how we have reach here is extraordinary and it still has not yet finish a few time to go. We had a parliament session that had political parties vote in very strange ways yet we managed and the reasons. In the end this is a mutli-lateral approach but it all started long time ago.

The USA wants to be "thanked" (in a way make us dependent) that's the crust of it. There is a hint of the Americans knowing we played a good *crafty) move. It was on principle and sovereignty parameters which are clear and its not at all worse compared to what our neighbors have pulled on the Americans.
(1) ccpland cant be sanctioned easily because they mfg most things from paper clips
to j10 fighter , and get the engine from russia so not much use for usa to try sanction them

(2) we should do more or less likewise

(3) you can be dead sure usa wants us dependent - and we have to watch that

Many things from Obama visit will not be made public. For what we know IMO
It was a good visit. It could have been possibly very good but it was cut short.
If you look at the joint vision statement there is a whole spectrum of things
On the drawing board.
let's at least debate the facts we do know and make extrapolations over those areas
whcih were not openly declared ?

Obviously, if some country who always stayed on opponents side buy it then US can sell it with such terms.

But it won't be the case in future because India is getting closer to US now.

Nuke deal is also going through.
That's the whole point buddy, I hope US doesn't play these cheap tricks again.
that is gonna be asking a tall order

Whether we are getting "close" to US or not, I don't want any shit which has conditions attached to it like "Pentagon's permission required before war". If I find out that such conditions have been surreptitiously inserted into the agreement, I will become the biggest opponent of Modi sarkar on DFI.
the usa being who they are let's go by their track record _:-
when they sell weapons they withhold the source code
our relationship with the was flying rather high when the Khobragade issue took place
they have not shown any grace on the Khobragade issue and indeed continue to add further charges

are they adding more scholarships for our younger students who go for research degrees ?
otoh they are giving some scholarships they are allowing indians to rise high in their society
as for nuke deal - who is gonna carry the burden in case of liabilities, - talk is that the Indian insurance
co's and therefore the indian consumer will pay ?

plus unspoken agreement on china and pak ? - what does it relate to in practice ?
are we gonna have another useless CENTO type agreement with the usa ?

P5 in unsc - usa britain talk talk , no action
nsg talk and talk -no nation
vajpayee was willing to be part of us missile defence shield - no action
they are gonna make one small uav with radar nose in india - big deal ?

so far, sounds to me like we are back where we were all along
that is . usa uses our talent in their society - which is a fair deal and good for both of us
eg in research at uni's and scientists, engineers in their workforce - is mutually beneficial

but when it comes to defence - no substantial change
a lot of hype , but so far nothing on the ground ?

it's an open debate - lets' talk teh facts
otherwise how do we judge good or v good - based on what ?
the military parade ?

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
HOw many wanna bet on the fact that the Obama Visit has a major chunk of haves to do with the upcoming US elections, that include the reorientation policies, the expat votes etc etc

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
What?

If it can't be used in case of War then do we buy it for selling vegetables or catch fish?
Yeah, if ever INS and USN go for operation together, then USN guys may say like ....hey, listen, you are not allowed to bring INS Jalashwa in such operations. :D

dastan

What was the new hot line set up, all about? I don't understand, isn't such a thing to be set up between rivals eg. pak-ind to stop escalation of conflict? What purpose does it serve with US

anoop_mig25

Country flag

does us kill switch ???

its now INS boat they can use it whereever they want

does us kill switch ???

archie

Country flag
does us kill switch ???

its now INS boat they can use it whereever they want

does us kill switch ???
That is the problem with US orgin wepons .. Intrusive inspections and End user aggrement . I dont think there is a kill switch but will tarnish the image with the global community.

For IN the scope of this ship is to learn from it when Our designs come alive in the next few years i believe

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Well there will be if we sign cismoa,lsa etc. and which is why im against any such deal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles