Number of balistic missiles

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
New Air Force Intelligence Report Available FAS Strategic Security Blog

Indian Nuclear Forces

Even though Indian news media reports and private/corporate institutes have reported for years that Agni I and Agni II were deployed, the NASIC report shows that operational deployment of the road-mobile Agni I SRBM has only recently begun, with “fewer than 25” missile launchers deployed. NASIC seems to back our assessment from last year that the Agni II at that time was not yet fully operational, by listing “fewer than 10” launchers deployed.

Two short-range sea-based ballistic missiles are under development: Dhanush and Sagarika. Neither is operational yet, and NASIC safely estimates that the Sagarika will become operational sometime after 2010.

Despite Indian news media reports of development of a nuclear-capable cruise missile, no mentioning of such a weapon system is made by NASIC.

luckyy

25 Agni I ...10 Agni II ....are with nuclear warheads....

can anybody have the figure how many balistic missiles we have with conventional warheads..?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager

can anybody have the figure how many balistic missiles we have with conventional warheads..?
These are strategic missiles why need to be with conventional warheads? :)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Tipping ballistic missiles with conventional payload is a waste and expensive. A one ton conventional payload is better delivered with Aircrafts.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Yusuf...Prithvi is a tactical missile. It is not a strategic missile. No no nuclear warheads on Prithvi.

p2prada

Tipping ballistic missiles with conventional payload is a waste and expensive. A one ton conventional payload is better delivered with Aircrafts.
A ballistic missile confirms delivery. An aircraft needs to handle SAMs and other aircraft before delivery.

Yusuf...Prithvi is a tactical missile. It is not a strategic missile. No no nuclear warheads on Prithvi.
Prithvi handles both strategic and tactical needs.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
P2P, Yes it can handle both. But after declaring it a tactical missile you cant strap on a nuclear warhead on it.

p2prada

P2P, Yes it can handle both. But after declaring it a tactical missile you cant strap on a nuclear warhead on it.
A tactical missile does not necessarily mean the Prithvi is not supposed to use Nuclear warheads. The Prithvi is used by the forces for tactical use of nuclear weapons.

An NBC protected BMP will monitor enemy forces from close range and order a strike using the Prithvi missile carrying a nuclear warhead. Meaning the Prithvi will be used at a Colonel or Brigadier level after authorization and will be carried with the troops in convoys. That's what it means by its tactical use.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I thought it will use only conventional warheads if it has be declared as a tactical missile. I am sorry.

p2prada

Don't sweat it. Even cruise missiles with nuclear tips are tactical weapons.

A strategic weapon is used to change equations in war. For eg: An ICBM with nuclear payload or an Aircraft Carrier. Or GDI's ION Cannon from Command and Conquer.:blum3:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
A ballistic missile confirms delivery. An aircraft needs to handle SAMs and other aircraft before delivery.
Still, a strategic missile will never be tipped with conventional payload.

p2prada

Still, a strategic missile will never be tipped with conventional payload.
A strategic missile, yes. But a tactical missile will need to be employed both ways. A Nuclear missile will not destroy NBC protected tanks and APCs. You will need a Neutron bomb or other warheads for that purpose.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
HTML:
then how you going to destroy a target deep in enemy territory ?
Bombers ideally, if you can maintain a fleet of them. Only the US does that as its able to afford it.
Other have to make do with fighter bombers. India uses the Jaguar for deep penetration strkes.

luckyy

HTML:
Bombers ideally, if you can maintain a fleet of them. Only the US does that as its able to afford it.
Other have to make do with fighter bombers. India uses the Jaguar for deep penetration strkes.
bombers have to counter enemy air defence missiles and fighter jets.

tharikiran

Country flag

Prithvi handles both strategic and tactical needs.
I don't agree with this part-- "A ballistic missile confirms delivery."

This is a definition of ballistic missile from Wikipedia---"A ballistic missile is a missile that follows a sub-orbital ballistic flightpath with the objective of delivering a warhead "

My point is if it takes time to go into orbit/suborbit and then come down, then it gives the other party the time to detect it and fire their anti-ballistic missiles.

Just my 2 cents there.

I would want India to develop hypersonic cruise missiles . Next gen BRAHMOS with a range of 2000 to 3000 Kms. That will be game changer to me. You just can't intercept it. Imagine a terrain hugging hypersonic BRAHMOS. :)

Regards,
Hari

Arjak

Respected Member
Country flag
yeah,i am imagining!!! mate,that much increase in speed and distance jointly,wd'nt even come in a decade,for the brahmos............but,lets be optimistic

tharikiran

Country flag
yeah,i am imagining!!! mate,that much increase in speed and distance jointly,wd'nt even come in a decade,for the brahmos............but,lets be optimistic
India has made some pretty good progress regarding testing of hypersonic vehicles.
I don't remember the name. It's regarding a hypersonic re-entry vehicle to place satellites in orbit .

The designers have done some good tests with regards to the critical components needed for this vehicle.

I am optimistic too we should be able to have a hypersonic cruise missile.

Got the name finally-- "AVATAR"

luckyy

India has made some pretty good progress regarding testing of hypersonic vehicles.
I don't remember the name. It's regarding a hypersonic re-entry vehicle to place satellites in orbit .

The designers have done some good tests with regards to the critical components needed for this vehicle.

I am optimistic too we should be able to have a hypersonic cruise missile.

Got the name finally-- "AVATAR"
indian ramjet engine still not operational...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles