Nuclear Power in India

wuzetian

Where the heck is Wahkyn and Lostoin? Its not showing up on google maps.
Domiasiat is barely 10 km from Bangladesh border.

Anyhow, good news. I thought the only uranium reserves we had were in Rajasthan.
Haven't you heard of Kadappa reserves in Andhra Pradesh?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Anyhow, good news. I thought the only uranium reserves we had were in Rajasthan.
Issue is not with finding uranium ore, it is with transporting it from Meghalaya to Jharkhand to make the yellow cake.

We had to shelve a iron ore mine project because of these prohibitive transporting cost 4 years back. I hope transportation has developed in recent years.

mintly

Willy2

Plenty of strategic locations in India are out of Google Earth & GPS.
I think we can't see then in Google map as they are probably small villages. One of my habit is watching topography along LOC and in POK, and it's very hard job to find them as most of the sector or war site are small village centric along river valley.
I think same thing happens with these 2 .
Also last time when iron ore was found in Meghlaya huge protest happens to resist mining.Waiting for greenpeace along with liberal, graduate in arts to give lecture how trees going to be radioactive due to mine.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
2 .
Also last time when iron ore was found in Meghlaya huge protest happens to resist mining.Waiting for greenpeace along with liberal, graduate in arts to give lecture how trees going to be radioactive due to mine.
It's not the greenpeace or liberals who are the problem there, it ULFA. they run a parallel govt if I am not wrong.

IndianHawk

Country flag
It's not the greenpeace or liberals who are the problem there, it ULFA. they run a parallel govt if I am not wrong.
Ulfa can of course be bribed. The problem is that in North East tribals actually care about their natural habitat and religiously custom wise very sensitive to outside influences.

That combined with violent groups and liberal funding against state creats a very serious problem.

Willy2

The problem is that in North East tribals actually care about their natural habitat and religiously custom wise very sensitive to outside influences.
tribes grown up respecting and worshiping their land and everything on it , contrast to the modern definition of "civilize" where own grown up exploiting the land where he grew up. It's govt duty to talk with them and realize them that what inside their land have no use if u can't extract it .
What our problem is we use those ppl are mediator who are hell bound to stop the project ,except act as a mediator they highlight the bad things to them , all these environmental fighter , liberal and these idiots from JNU etc if works as mediator then it's hard for us to crack these thing .

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I think we can't see then in Google map as they are probably small villages. One of my habit is watching topography along LOC and in POK, and it's very hard job to find them as most of the sector or war site are small village centric along river valley.
I think same thing happens with these 2 .
I'm talking about Government rule.

Military Air Bases are really not visible on Google Maps!;)

Willy2

I'm talking about Government rule.

Military Air Bases are really not visible on Google Maps!;)
Yes, military bases are't visible , but I wonder is't really a reason that Wakhyn and Lostoin are't visible in GM, I mean if u can get Domiasiat in GM , then whats the problem with rest of them ??surely they re small villages , thats why they are't visible in GM .

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
India Developing Third Generation Nuclear Reactors

Thorium Mining in progress
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) has designed Advanced Heavy Water Reactor (AHWR) for utilization of Thorium. This reactor has several passive safety systems and runs on coolant flow by natural circulation. It meets all the post-Fukushima requirements and can withstand severe accidents without exposing radiation to the environment. It meets all the safety features of 3rd generation reactors. AHWR design has been reviewed by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) has accorded pre-licensing approval. The government has given ‘in principle’ approval for constructing AHWR in Tarapur, Maharashtra.
Uranium Reserves
Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMD), a constituent unit of Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), which has a mandate to identify and evaluate mineral resources of uranium, has established 1,22,691 tonne in situ U3O8 (1,04,042 tonne U) in Andhra Pradesh (as on February, 2017) which is the highest in comparison to the other states of the country.
District-wise details of the uranium resources in Andhra Pradesh are given below:

[1t U3O8 = 0.848 t uranium metal (U)]
Uranium Corporation of India Ltd. (UCIL), a Public Sector Unit of Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) has already constructed an underground mine at Tummalapalle over a length of 7.6 km with potential to mine 3,000 tons of ore per day. A plant to process 3,000 tpd is also under operation by the Company. Uranium production has started from this plant since 2012.
Syndicated Feed
Just telling, third generation reactors are latesr operational tech that even in very few developed countries.

wuzetian

India Developing Third Generation Nuclear Reactors

Thorium Mining in progress

Uranium Reserves

District-wise details of the uranium resources in Andhra Pradesh are given below:

[1t U3O8 = 0.848 t uranium metal (U)]

Syndicated Feed
Just telling, third generation reactors are latesr operational tech that even in very few developed countries.
Nice article . But I don't think the picture of thorium being mined from underground is accurate . Thorium is mined from sands on the coast of Tamilnadu and Kerala

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Govt sets target to triple nuclear power generation by 2024
Minister of State for PMO Jitendra Singh said a number of steps have been taken by the Narendra Modi government to fast-track all ongoing nuclear projects and setting up of new plants in different parts of the country.

Nuclear power generation capacity in the country is expected to reach nearly 15,000 MW by 2024 as the government has expedited the process of setting up new plants, Lok Sabha was informed today.
In 2014, India's nuclear power generation capacity was 4,780 MW.
Minister of State for PMO Jitendra Singh said a number of steps have been taken by the Narendra Modi government to fast-track all ongoing nuclear projects and setting up of new plants in different parts of the country.
"When we came to power in 2014, we had set a target of generating nuclear power by three time in 10 years and we hope to reach that target," he said during Question Hour.
The Minister, however, said for generating targeted nuclear power, there has to be enough uranium available - both from domestic as well as foreign sources.
Singh said the government was actively pursuing the process of acquiring uranium from different sources, including exploration in new places like Bihar and Meghalaya.
He said for the first time, the Nuclear Power Corporation of India has been allowed to go for setting up of joint venture nuclear plants along with Public Sector Undertakings.
The Minister said the third stage of India's nuclear power programme contemplates using thorium along with uranium- 233 as fuel in thorium-based reactors.
With sustained efforts of years, India has gained experience over the entire thorium fuel cycle on a semi- industrial scale, he said.
"The developmental activities include studies in thorium extraction, fuel fabrication and irradiation, reprocessing studies including construction of an engineering-scale power reactor, thorium reprocessing facility and setting up of uranium-233 fuelled Purnima and KAMINI research reactors," he said.
Singh said the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and research organisations attached with DAE are engaged in various R&D activities to address the utilisation of thorium in different types of reactors, including efforts aimed at enlarging the existing thorium cycle experience to a bigger scale.

Flame Thrower

I have a few questions, please answer them...

1. Though India is a pioneer in the Thorium fuel reactors (not Thorium coolant) this has never gone to beyond prototype stage. Did we solve the puzzle.

2. Earlier we were looking around 2045. How soon can we see first Thorium reactor going critical.

3. This begs the question of Fast Breeder reactors, we have one prototype (!?) till date. Any timeline to increase the number.

4. In your recent post of increasing no of reactors(i.e, tripling power generation) any FBRs coming online

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Department of Atomic Energy15-March, 2017 16:10 IST
Third Generation Nuclear Reactors

Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) has designed Advanced Heavy Water Reactor (AHWR) for utilisation of Thorium. This reactor has several passive safety systems and runs on coolant flow by natural circulation. It meets all the post Fukushima requirements and can withstand severe accidents without exposing radiation in the environment. It meets all the safety features of 3rd generation reactors. AHWR design has been reviewed by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) has accorded pre-licensing approval. Government of India has given ‘in principle’ approval for constructing AHWR in Tarapur, Maharashtra.
This information was provided by the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North-Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh in written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.

KSD/NK/PK

(Release ID :159248)

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
1. Though India is a pioneer in the Thorium fuel reactors (not Thorium coolant) this has never gone to beyond prototype stage. Did we solve the puzzle.
At least as per the news, India has designed Advanced Heavy Water Reactors.

They can utilize both Uranium as well as Thorium.
Plus Much more than Thorium research mere, India is localizing nuclear power tech as well.
Means, exporting to other countries in future with civil nuclear deals like NSG do.
First one is Indo Sri Lankan Civil Nuclear deal.
2. Earlier we were looking around 2045. How soon can we see first Thorium reactor going critical.
I don't know.
3. This begs the question of Fast Breeder reactors, we have one prototype (!?) till date. Any timeline to increase the number.

4. In your recent post of increasing no of reactors(i.e, tripling power generation) any FBRs coming online
I think you are a little confused because India is not only developing Thorium or fast Breeder Reactors.
We are going to trial our own Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors this year (700 MW)
Each & construction of IPWR 900 (Light Water Reactor) soon.

So, it's been the shift of India's dependency from foreign to homegrown companies and PSUs.:india:

Increase in output is to be contributed by Indian Reactors.

Cuz internal process is much faster than foreign procured.

Even after indigenization, I can't wait to see India striking Nuclear deals with foreign countries. It's known to be working on nuclear materials and RTGs too for powering nuclear spacecrafts.
Imagine where it must have reached in field of Thermonuclear Bombs & reliability!

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

India to Share Nuclear Expertise for Bangladesh’s Rooppur Nuclear Plant

India is set to sign a deal with Bangladesh for providing infrastructure support in the field of nuclear energy to the latter’s Rooppur nuclear power plant which is being established with assistance from Russia’s Rosatom.

New Delhi (Sputnik) – The service provider deal for the Rooppur plant will be signed during Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s visit April 7 onwards.
With defense and energy co-operation between Russia and Bangladesh deepening further, Delhi will provide close to $1 billion credit support to Dhaka at very low interest rate. This deal is also expected to provide substantial business for Indian companies in the supply of raw materials for infrastructure.
During the Sheikh Hasina visit, India is expected to ink a deal to supply military hardware including spare parts for Russian-origin aircraft and helicopters of the Bangladesh Air Force. The Bangladesh armed forces have Russian-origin MiG-29 and MiG-21 fighter aircraft, MI-8 and MI-171 helicopters.
“Both countries are involved in giving a final shape to the proposed umbrella agreement. Serious discussions are underway,” said sources. Ahead of Sheikh Hasina’s visit, Indian Army chief General Bipin Rawat will be visiting Dhaka on March 30.
Rawat will meet Bangladesh President Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina and other defense officials and is expected to discuss issues related to the umbrella agreement.
Bangladesh has initiated the process to procure eight multi-role combat aircraft (MRCA) for the country's air force, with an option of buying four additional aircraft. Russian manufacturers are expected to win the contract. If Bangladesh decides to purchase MiG-35 or Sukhoi class aircraft, the Indian government expects to bag the contract for their service and maintenance of the Russia-built aircraft. However, India may need Russian approval to supply military hardware to Bangladesh, if India-Russia agreements specifically mention it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles