Not battle-ready before 2027, admits Indian Army

ironman

Country flag
Kartikeya Sharma & Gaurav Sawant (Headlines Today)
New Delhi, December 3, 2009

The Indian Army, one of the world's largest, has admitted it is far from being battle-ready. The force is 50 per cent short of attaining full capability.

The admission is part of the army's internal assessment report submitted to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence. Headlines Today has exclusive access to the report.

The report says it will take around 20 years for the army to gain full defence preparedness. The infantry, artillery and the armoury would be fully ready for battle only by 2027. This means that in the event of a war in the next two decades, the country may prove to be a virtual sitting duck.

Going by the report, the force seems most vulnerable as far as combat helicopters are concerned. The report says the army has attained an abysmal 17 per cent capability in combat choppers. Full combat capability by helicopters would not be possible before 2027.

Another problem is the army's inability to develop a communication network. India will not have a real-time information sharing network before 2027. The current capability is just 24 per cent despite the country's stellar show in information technology.

What's really shocking is the shortage in fighting arms. The artillery has just 52 per cent of the total capability required to defend the country. The country will near 97 per cent capability in artillery only by 2027.

The infantry too is struggling at a 65 per cent capability. The infantry wants to replace its indigenous INSAS rifles, acquire night-fighting capabilities, new generation anti-tank missiles and rockets. Shields for nuclear, biological and chemical warfare too are not properly in place.

The picture isn't rosy for the mechanised and special forces units either, which are way behind their required defence preparedness.

AJSINGH

truley said ,now it is public maybe something will be done about ,the only unit which is prepared is the tank regiment . now if any war happens ( god forbid it does not) there will be many casulaties and peolple will blame the army for wrong tactics whereas it the balme of the goverment not providing them with finance to buy weapons

Country flag
it's article like these that will keep the money flowing to the services, not ready till 2027 oh dear let's throw a couple of billion that way.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Lol!!! We won our last war just 10 years back. The enemy did not even dare to fight an open war. Kept it's best fighter well within it's borders for the fear of being shot down. China only keeps talking aggressive and nothing more as it knows India is not the same as 62.

Yes there are some capabilities lagging behind but not to a tune that we are nit battle ready. Even in 2027 we will say we are short of one thong or the other. Capabilities keep evolving. There is no end. God how did they come up with the year 2027?

Koji

Without a strong protected network, India's military will truly be paralyzed if the Chinese or other capable network attack group begins war. I found this to be India's single greatest weakness...followed by having very limited ability to fight battles at night.

I think it's a big mistake releasing this report especially with growing regional instability.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
The more I watch Headlines Today, the more I laugh at these guys. Now, how they come up with the year 2027? Do the reporter feels that the capability of Chinese and Pakistani military will remain same in those years. This is all for TRP, nothing else.

We all know India has a very slow procurement policy. But that does not mean Indian Military is not upgrading its systems. But the only reason for worry is it is taking a lot more time.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
man I love such reports good one no information or real data given just twisting around and woha not ready for war good good good go ahead enemies let the real war begin :D

NSG_Blackcats

Without a strong protected network, India's military will truly be paralyzed if the Chinese or other capable network attack group begins war.
Please elaborate what do you mean by capable network attack group? Are you taking about any particular country or organization?

I found this to be India's single greatest weakness...followed by having very limited ability to fight battles at night.
How you came to the conclusion that India has a very limited ability to fight at night? Which section of the Indian military lacks night fighting capability; Army, Navy or Air Force?

I think it's a big mistake releasing this report especially with growing regional instability.
What report you are talking about? This is reported by a new channel. This is not an official document of the Indian army.

Koji

"The admission is part of the army's internal assessment report submitted to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence."

Read the article.

"The infantry too is struggling at a 65 per cent capability. The infantry wants to replace its indigenous INSAS rifles, acquire night-fighting capabilities"

NSG_Blackcats

^^@Koji, Headlines Today has not made this report public. Neither have they provided any facts of the report. Anyway you are fully entitled to draw your own conclusion. Best of luck to Japan if it wants to attack India.

Koji

^^@Koji, Headlines Today has not made this report public. Neither have they provided any facts of the report. Anyway you are fully entitled to draw your own conclusion. Best of luck to Japan if it wants to attack India.
There are numbers! Read the article.

AJSINGH

the point should be take that and it is know ,that army is not yet fully 100% capable that is true . we need better assult riffles and grenades

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Without a strong protected network, India's military will truly be paralyzed if the Chinese or other capable network attack group begins war. I found this to be India's single greatest weakness...followed by having very limited ability to fight battles at night.

I am sorry I missed these wise words from koji in first sight :D

These are all news to me and some new spices has came up called "network attack group" I guess it is from Mars :rofl:

proud_hindustani

Country flag
Lol!!! We won our last war just 10 years back. The enemy did not even dare to fight an open war. Kept it's best fighter well within it's borders for the fear of being shot down. China only keeps talking aggressive and nothing more as it knows India is not the same as 62.

Yes there are some capabilities lagging behind but not to a tune that we are nit battle ready. Even in 2027 we will say we are short of one thong or the other. Capabilities keep evolving. There is no end. God how did they come up with the year 2027?
you are right Dude..even Pakistan and China are not 100% war ready. Pakistan's status is poorer than us and he knows it's not easy to win war over India without rogue China. China is a big threat but it doesn't mean he is full 100% capable of protecting himself from India's attack.

I agree with you that China doesn't have the gut to invade India directly. We are also capable of scratching China and damage him.

:india:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
followed by having very limited ability to fight battles at night.
Most of the major assaults in the Kargil war were started in the night and that too in that treacherous terrain with one hand tied behind the back.

pankaj nema

Country flag
you are right Dude..even Pakistan and China are not 100% war ready. Pakistan's status is poorer than us and he knows it's not easy to win war over India without rogue China. China is a big threat but it doesn't mean he is full 100% capable of protecting himself from India's attack.

I agree with you that China doesn't have the gut to invade India directly. We are also capable of scratching China and damage him.

:india:
well friends in [mod] no need to give reference to other site[/mod] they
''concluded " that PAKISTAN'S BEST CHANCE of annexing kashmir was in 1962.

that pretty much shows pakistan's ability and confidence

as far as china is concerned we have become much stronger than in 1986-87 .

when the two nations were close to conflict in sumdorung valley; around the same time BRASSTACKS happened and paks were wetting their pants.

If chinese DID NOT DARE to attack then so why should we worry now.:india:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Based on the Threat Perceptions, the infrastructure is designed.

China is building 27 airstrips in Tibet for four reasons.

One, to bring more Indian territory within the reach of the PLAAF.

Two, be able to disperse her air assets so that there is less damage from the IAF raids/ missile strikes.

Three, allow rapid mobilisation from Mainland China into Tibet

Four, to be able to move in troops by air in case of any Tibet uprising. China is very worried about the Tibetan and Uighur not been well disposed to the Han hegemony.

China is aware that India can destabilise China in Tibet and that is why they are mortified as they are mortified of the influence of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

This is why China is making aggressive moves against India, diplomatically, politically and militarily.

Having said that, the Standing Committee Report is basically to indicate that what should be the actual assets to have a strong, capable Army that can take the war into the enemy territory is not there.

In short, the assets required to teach a lesson.

We are capable of defending ourselves, but what we must possess is assets to teach a lesson and ensure an armed peace from a position of ascendancy.

To be a first rate military power, one has to have the assets desired and more so, since the Govt has been dithering in purchasing arms required.

Vladimir79

Professional

And how do you and your Chinese cronies plan on attacking India's network? It isn't like Indian Armed Forces are heavily reliant on the internet. The rest of the C4ISR capabilities are totally foreign to the Chinese and don't have the first clue how to attack them.

As far as fighting at night, China is behind even India in that regard.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
truley said ,now it is public maybe something will be done about ,the only unit which is prepared is the tank regiment . now if any war happens ( god forbid it does not) there will be many casulaties and peolple will blame the army for wrong tactics whereas it the balme of the goverment not providing them with finance to buy weapons
you are wrong we dont have modern tanks, we have few hundred T 90 tanks and very few Arjun tanks, only few of the T 72 tanks have got night fighting capabilities.

Problems with T 90 tanks, IA dont want to discusses these or even admit those exists.

Therefore we are in for very very big trouble.........

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Are they talking about a war against whole world??? with 50% capability it is World fourth largest army. And 2027???? My God.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles