Not battle-ready before 2027, admits Indian Army

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
hey SSG isnt the NLI part of your armies orbat or not most of the Jawans From the Pakistani side was from this regiment

The regiment's soldiers are drawn from small tribes in mountainous areas and are less prone to altitude sickness and cold temperatures that characterize mountain warfare. The unit was therefore chosen to fight against Indian forces in the 1999 Kargil War, which took place in the mountains of Kashmir. Small NLI infantry units slipped past Indian forces at the Line of Control and seized strategically important high points from which they later attacked the Indians. At that time the NLI was a 14-battalion-strong force. Three more battalions -- the 15, 16 and 17 NLI -- were being raised. Of these, the 3, 4, 5 and 7 battalions took part in the intrusion across the Batalik-Chorbatla-Turtuk sectors. Elements of the 12 NLI occupied Tiger Hill and the Mushkoh Valley while the 6 and 11 NLI were spread across the Drass-Tololing-Kaksar sectors.

By one account the execution of the whole operation was entrusted to 62 Infantry Brigade at Skardu with 82 Brigade at Minimarg, 32 Brigade at Kel serving as coordinators. By another account the four infantry battalions were

After outstanding performance in the Kargil conflict of 1999, the entire Northern Light Infantry Regiment was given the status of regular infantry. The NLI Regiment was promoted from paramilitary force to regular Army regiment in recognition of its good battlefield performance.

Northern Light Infantry Regiment

sandeepdg

Sorry to be rude man but PAK army didnt send its regular army unlike Indian army which used arty airforce and 4 division or more of its REGULAR INFANTRY?still more then 3 jetand a chopper was shot down by paramilitary and jihadis so plz dont fool yourself.
Well, that would mean according to you that your damn army is a piece of s***, and don't have the guts to fight a war , hence they sent these suicidal fanatical maniacs to fight for you !! Anyway, we all know the truth i.e. they were all Pakistani army regulars from the Northern Light Infantry disguised as tribal militiamen and not some jehadis ! You army got those birds since they were stationed at highly advantageous positions and also since our forces were not allowed to violate the border and take decisive action. Your prized F-16s didn't even venture close to the battle theater for the fear of being taken down, atleast our airforce has the guts to take you on in such risky and challenging environment !

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Without a strong protected network, India's military will truly be paralyzed if the Chinese or other capable network attack group begins war. I found this to be India's single greatest weakness...followed by having very limited ability to fight battles at night.

I think it's a big mistake releasing this report especially with growing regional instability.
well im back after the Christmas and wishing those for whom it has any meaning or even as a holiday .

as for this report , in contrast to the usaual CPC trolls ,
i think it is the strength and confidence that the indian army has at this time , having matured to some exent . that allows it to speak moer freely about it's nitty gritty faults in public.

the indian army is one of the best in the world and is now trying it's hand in mis-information
hah !

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
In so far as tardy modernisation is concerned, unlike other countries, where politicians have military background (national service, war experience etc) our politicians have no idea and all they are worried is some political backlash over purchases. Further, the bureaucrats are even worse.
partial quote

thanks for a great post

years back i remember a friend telling me that all indian high school students ( the guys only ) had to attend compulsory army cadet training.

perhaps this has changed ?

btw i agree with the implication in your post that it would be a better idea if the citizens who later bcome politicians shd have some military experience eg national service ----- needs some detailed planning how it can be done

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
modernistation of indian army with in coming five year is the good measure to correct our negligence in defence feild since from the begining.

each time when there is a problem we react but we don't act sincierly.

How many war we come through how can we come to this unprepared stage. i am rearly sheme about this.

if there is a war in coming years we have to risk our jawans life without giving them enough capabiliy and blem them?

when we have china and pakistan alocating and a big ammount and first privilage to defense in their budget how can we could be careless.

absolute rapid modernistation in coming years it the only solution we should give more importance in budget.

well said sir !

in fact, the report shows that IA is moving from a reactive to a pro-active mode

rohanamz

no military in the world is 100% capable. when we modernize our military by 2027, the current weapons and equipments becomes obsolete. then the whole process starts all over again.
And there is no compulsory army cadet training in india. its completely voluntary.

neo29

no military in the world is 100% capable. when we modernize our military by 2027, the current weapons and equipments becomes obsolete. then the whole process starts all over again.
And there is no compulsory army cadet training in india. its completely voluntary.

Very true ... no army in the world is 100% operational. every army of different country has its own level of preparations and standards when it comes to facing an enemy.

US took 3 months after 9/11 to prepare against an enemy who uses only ak 47, rocket launchers and grenades. US technological superior still has not won the so called war on terrorism in afghan irrespective of its complete disposal of its arsenal. Soviet had to withdraw from afghan years back. So will the US.
All we learn is that no matter how technologically superior .. guerrilla tactics keep the war going. The basic principle in todays modern warfare is the one who quits the battle field ... Looses . Soviet did it and so will the US.

So whats the use of 100 % operational preparedness when the most important aspect today seems that how long can u run the war. Taliban has been using this principle and i hate to admit doing pretty good.

India is good at guerrilla tactics. it did help them in kargil war. And i dont think in all the wars we fought we were 100% prepared. i personally believe we were not even 50% prepared.
but for sure we lacked preparation in the east during the indo-china war with less soldiers having ww2 rifles against a well mechanized army using machine guns.

So more than 100% operational status... the thing thats important is how to use the current operational status at ur disposal for the best outcome using guerrilla tactics .

zraver

Professional
Very true ... no army in the world is 100% operational. every army of different country has its own level of preparations and standards when it comes to facing an enemy.

US took 3 months after 9/11 to prepare against an enemy who uses only ak 47, rocket launchers and grenades.
can you get your facts straight? US spec ops troops were on the ground fightign with the Northern Alliance by Oct 7th they also lazed targets for the USAF that began bombing that day- less than 1 month from 9-11 and after the Taliban refused to hand over Bin Laden. By Nov 25th Camp Rhino had been set up but by then Kabul had already fallen and the only remaining Taliban stronghold was Kandahar. It took the US and its allies less than 2 months to seize 90% of the country. By Dec 6th the allied forces controlled 100% of the country. Since 2001 Al Queda has been effectively destroyed and the Taliban that was no longer exists and is now a more generalized Pashtun uprising on both sides of the border.

Will the US outlast the Taliban, I don't know Obama is a coward so its very possible.

US technological superior still has not won the so called war on terrorism in afghan irrespective of its complete disposal of its arsenal. Soviet had to withdraw from afghan years back. So will the US.
All we learn is that no matter how technologically superior .. guerrilla tactics keep the war going. The basic principle in todays modern warfare is the one who quits the battle field ... Looses .
Who ever does quit first does lose, although whats left for the winner might make them losers as well. The problem for the West is WWII, we are stilled scarred by what a total war really looks like. yet that is how you win. You want the enemy to feel so much pain, so much pressure that any peace at all is preferable to war.

I assure you that if for every IED set off the closest village got a 2000lb bomb randomly dropped on it if the perps were not handed over and the attacks would stop as the bodies piled up.

neo29

can you get your facts straight? US spec ops troops were on the ground fightign with the Northern Alliance by Oct 7th they also lazed targets for the USAF that began bombing that day- less than 1 month from 9-11 and after the Taliban refused to hand over Bin Laden. By Nov 25th Camp Rhino had been set up but by then Kabul had already fallen and the only remaining Taliban stronghold was Kandahar. It took the US and its allies less than 2 months to seize 90% of the country. By Dec 6th the allied forces controlled 100% of the country. Since 2001 Al Queda has been effectively destroyed and the Taliban that was no longer exists and is now a more generalized Pashtun uprising on both sides of the border.

Will the US outlast the Taliban, I don't know Obama is a coward so its very possible.

Who ever does quit first does lose, although whats left for the winner might make them losers as well. The problem for the West is WWII, we are stilled scarred by what a total war really looks like. yet that is how you win. You want the enemy to feel so much pain, so much pressure that any peace at all is preferable to war.

I assure you that if for every IED set off the closest village got a 2000lb bomb randomly dropped on it if the perps were not handed over and the attacks would stop as the bodies piled up.
just becoz US bombed afghan within a month of 9/11 and so called "controlled kabul" in 2 months doesnt mean US won the war. the actual war started after that. till today US have to been able control afghan coz taliban is sneaking up from everywhere.

these afghan fighters knew how to survive any war. they did it with the soviet and got the soviets irritated and frustrated enough to leave the region. the US pullout by 2011 is not coz they wont the war. its just they are tired enough to spend money in a fruitless never ending war and want the afghans and pak army to continue what it started. they got their revenge for 9/11 ... mission accomplished.

taliban and al qaeda is far from being destroyed. just becoz US killed thousands of fighters doesnt mean they won. the moment US leaves the region .. pak army and isi will get back to their ex wife the taliban and the whole process starts again.

I support US and NATO with the war in afghan ..but this war is far from over.

I think the original topic is going off track .. so lets stick to it

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles