Non-Windows user thread

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I have created this thread so that Non-Windows user can share their experence and softwares.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Recently i have shifted to Ubuntu 9.04.
I got myself vlc player, Codac player, Opera 10, java and c compliler and many such acadamics software.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I am Legend

What!!! We at DFI don't even have a single non-Windows user. It's a shame.

Pintu

Hi DS, :) please count me in group, friend, I have both XP and Linux , dual booted, in my PC, but do use Windows to log in rarest of rare occassion , I am using Linux Mint, KDE version, while replying your thread, and using Mozilla Firefox, Linux release to browse.

Regards

prahladh

Respected Member
we are all linux at office. kde desktop.

Pintu

Yes, KDE popular interface than GENOME environment, also the tools available for multimedia are really great, Amarok , audio player is really fine.

Regards

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Mine. W7 Build 7100. I'll get a license and the RTM through my MS Technet subscription. Use Windows 7 guys (when it gets out on Oct 22), it has the same quality Windows 98 had over a decade ago.

Yes, KDE popular interface than GENOME environment, also the tools available for multimedia are really great, Amarok , audio player is really fine.

Regards
I think Gnome is the more popular desktop environment. You may be right on how KDE is more aesthetic and how it's more aimed at the desktop user.

Pintu

tarun, GENOME is much lighter environment , but it is the KDE or K-Desk top that popularised , the linux

Regards

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
tarun, GENOME is much lighter version , but it is the KDE or K-Desk top that popularised , the linux

Regards
Not really man, a minority of people use KDE against Gnome. Again, KDE and Gnome are desktop environments, not "the Linux". A vast majority of Linux distributions come with Gnome as the default or de facto desktop environment.

Here are stats for just the Desktop-oriented distributions: http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8454912761.html
Linux-based servers, which make for a majority of all machines running Linux, don't even need a desktop environment, as most servers in racks and clusters are handled over TTY on a mainframe.

Pintu

Not really man, a minority of people use KDE against Gnome. Again, KDE and Gnome are desktop environments, not "the Linux". A vast majority of Linux distributions come with Gnome as the default or de facto desktop environment.

Here are stats for just the Desktop-oriented distributions: 2007 Desktop Linux Survey results revealed
Linux-based servers, which make for a majority of all machines running Linux, don't even need a desktop environment, as most servers in racks and clusters are handled over TTY on a mainframe.

Dear Tarun, I am meaning the environment, of Linux, not I am meaning it is the version, and it was just a typographical mistake man, I know difference between environment and distributions, however from your link, K Desk top environment users are not so minority , they constitute 35% of the present users , not much behind, that of GENOME environment users, and I am an ex -GENOME environment user, transferred to K-Desktop environment. and contrary to popular belief , that distribution defacto GENOME version, the popular Linux distributions come in three environments (GENOME,KDE,Xfce) , it is the user who decides which one to download. You can also keep three environments simultaneously if you want to. There are exception , Ubuntu has GENOME as environment by default, but there are other versions Kubuntu , and Xubuntu respectively have KDE and Xfce as their default environment. While OPEN SUSE asks for the environment you chose during the installation.

Again , the Linux based servers are majority till now, and I do know that they do not require desktop environments, but not in all cases , keeping desktop environment while running linux in servers are optional one .I can say the numbers of the PC desktop users are growing considerably.

prahladh

Respected Member
Most people in my office use "gnome" as it is bug-free. KDE has some minor problems like windows getting freezed, display-locking problems etc. I use KDE because it has better features than GNOME.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Dear Tarun, I am meaning the environment, of Linux, not I am meaning it is the version, and it was just a typographical mistake man, I know difference between environment and distributions, however from your link, K Desk top environment users are not so minority , they constitute 35% of the present users , not much behind, that of GENOME environment users, and I am an ex -GENOME environment user, transferred to K-Desktop environment. and contrary to popular belief , that distribution defacto GENOME version, the popular Linux distributions come in three environments (GENOME,KDE,Xfce) , it is the user who decides which one to download. You can also keep three environments simultaneously if you want to. There are exception , Ubuntu has GENOME as environment by default, but there are other versions Kubuntu , and Xubuntu respectively have KDE and Xfce as their default environment. While OPEN SUSE asks for the environment you chose during the installation.

Again , the Linux based servers are majority till now, and I do know that they do not require desktop environments, but not in all cases , keeping desktop environment while running linux in servers are optional one .I can say the numbers of the PC desktop users are growing considerably.
Among Linux users, desktop Linux users are a minority compared to enterprise Linux (used on servers, where desktop environments aren't even installed, if they are, it's usually Gnome on workstations), among whom, KDE users are a minority. So yes, KDE is used by a very small percentage of people, because despite its aesthetics, it's resource-heavy, and still very unstable.

Fedora, RHEL, OpenSuSE, Mint, Mandriva, Debian, Slackware, Ubuntu, you name it, have Gnome as the default desktop environment. OpenSuSE marks Gnome as the default choice, if you're not sure about what to pick. Kubuntu and Knoppix are some really niche variants of Ubuntu and Debian, respectively. They're not popular. Xubuntu uses XFCE.

Pintu

Among Linux users, desktop Linux users are a minority compared to enterprise Linux (used on servers, where desktop environments aren't even installed, if they are, it's usually Gnome on workstations), among whom, KDE users are a minority. So yes, KDE is used by a very small percentage of people, because despite its aesthetics, it's resource-heavy, and still very unstable.

Fedora, RHEL, OpenSuSE, Mint, Mandriva, Debian, Slackware, Ubuntu, you name it, have Gnome as the default desktop environment. OpenSuSE marks Gnome as the default choice, if you're not sure about what to pick. Kubuntu and Knoppix are some really niche variants of Ubuntu and Debian, respectively. They're not popular. Xubuntu uses XFCE.

I personally do not find KDE unstable , since I am using KDE version of Linux Mint, which have released the KDE version, which had released Gloria as their GENOME environment , and yes Mint is based on Ubuntu which is in turn based on Debian, therefore it is quite simple that they will give Genome as their default choice. As per RedHat I am concerned RedHat 7 used to load 3 environments, during its installation, what I have said in usage of environments KDE users are not lagging behind , and I have said that users can pick their own version when they install , if you want to have KDE in Ubuntu , try KUbuntu, if you try Xfce , then go for XUbuntu, like this goes on, the percentage of KDE users are no minuscule, I can say it in confidence. The popularity of the Choice of KDE has made the developers eg. FEDORA (Project of Red Hat), REDHAT, ManDriva (previous ManDrake), Debian, Open SUSE, Mint, Gentoo, Slackware , Arch Linux , (I can name many more if that needs to) to release KDE environment, in the contrary Genome is lightweight and do not contain the multimedia packages and games needed , but that have to be downloaded , and which comes with KDE environment as in built.

As per the usage of the Linux , the usage of Linux as Desk Top variant is on rise as I quote from Wikipedia:

The popularity of Linux on standard desktops (and laptops) has been increasing over the years. Currently most distributions include a graphical user environment. The two most popular such environments, GNOME and KDE, both of which are mature, support a wide variety of languages.

In the past, the performance of Linux on the desktop has been a controversial topic; for example in 2007 Con Kolivas accused the Linux community of favoring performance on servers. He quit Linux kernel development because he was frustrated with this lack of focus on the desktop, and then gave a "tell all" interview on the topic.However since then significant effort has been expended improving the desktop experience. For example, projects such as upstart aim for a faster boot time. In the field of gaming, the Linux desktop still lags behind Windows, however there are several companies that do port their own or other companies' games to Linux.

Many types of applications available for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X are also available for Linux. Commonly, either a free software application will exist which does the functions of an application found on another operating systems, or that application will have a version that works on Linux (such as Skype). Furthermore, the Wine project provides a Windows compatibility layer to run unmodified Windows applications on Linux. CrossOver is a proprietary solution based on the open source Wine project that supports running Windows versions of Microsoft Office, Intuit applications such as Quicken and QuickBooks, Adobe Photoshop versions through CS2, and many popular games such as World of Warcraft and Team Fortress 2. In other cases, although there is no Linux port of some software in areas such as desktop publishing[49] and professional audio, there is equivalent software available on Linux.

Many popular applications are available for a wide variety of operating systems. For example Mozilla Firefox, and OpenOffice.org have downloadable versions for all major operating systems. Furthermore, some applications were initially developed for Linux (such as Pidgin, and GIMP) and, due to their popularity, were ported to other operating systems (including Windows and Mac OS X).

A growing number of proprietary desktop applications are also supported on Linux, see List of proprietary software for Linux. In the field of animation and visual effects, most high end software, such as AutoDesk Maya, Softimage XSI and Apple Shake, is available for Linux, Windows and/or Mac OS X.

The collaborative nature of free software development allows distributed teams to localize Linux distributions for use in locales where localizing proprietary systems would not be cost-effective. For example the Sinhalese language version of the Knoppix distribution was available significantly before Microsoft Windows XP was translated to Sinhalese.[citation needed] In this case the Lanka Linux User Group played a major part in developing the localized system by combining the knowledge of university professors, linguists, and local developers.

To install new software in Windows, users either download a digital distribution or use a traditional installation medium (such as CD-ROM). Both of these methods usually provide a "Software Installation Wizard" to guide the user through the setup. On most Linux distributions, there are utilities for browsing a list of thousands of applications installed with a single click. Some of these programs are the Synaptic Package Manager, PackageKit, and Yum Extender. However, installing software not in the official repositories is not always easy, and sometimes the only option is to compile from source.
Regards

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Lol ! i am reading it now. I also use Ubuntu Linux which is probably the best ;) recently i upgraded to 11.04 Natty from 10.10 Maverick Meekat but found it buggy so i just swithed back to 10.10.For net banking purposes i use Live DVD of Backtrack. Here's a screenshot of my Ubuntu10.10 Maverick Meekat desktop :-

http://imageshack.us

:thumb:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Currently I have WinXP, Ubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu 12.10 on my PC, posting it from 12.10 with Gnome 3.6, it's slow compared to 10.10 with Gnome 2.X. I like Unity but that's damn slow, however I am confident that once matured these DEs will work flawlessly. Some screenshots of Gnome 3.6 :-

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles