'No Indians or Asians' job advertisement triggers outrage in Australia

Oracle

MELBOURNE: A contractor of Australia's supermarket chain Coles has come under fire for publishing a job advertisement, which barred Indians or Asians from applying.

"Store requires no Indians or Asians please. Must speak English (sic)", read the online ad posted on Sunday.

The ad on the Gumtree website sought cleaners for a supermarket at Eastlands Shopping Centre in Hobart, according to local media reports.

It triggered outrage on social media sites, with people calling for a boycott of the store.

Local newspaper 'The Mercury' reported that the ad was later removed from the site.

A Coles spokesman on Monday admitted the ad had been posted by a contract company responsible for cleaning its Rosny store.

"The ad was placed without Coles' knowledge and we were extremely concerned to learn of the ad and its contents," spokesman Jim Cooper said.

Tasmania's anti-discrimination commissioner Robin Banks was qouted as saying that she wanted to track down the cleaning contractor to pursue possible legal action.

"It's unlawful to blanket preclude a person because of their race," she said.

Banks said she often received complaints about job ads that discriminated against particular races.

She said both the company offering the position and the publisher of the advert could be subject to legal action.

"Gumtree is probably in breach (of the law) as well because the Act says you can't publish, display, etcetera, material that is discriminatory," Banks said, adding "I've had other ads in print form and other sites brought to my attention, which I've followed up with the publisher. That tends to result in it getting pulled very quickly."

TOI

no smoking

Country flag
What is more interesting is why they exclude indian or aisan from their list?

As I can see, in Australia, most of cleaning workers are indian or asian!

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What's the fuss all about? If they don't like us then it's their loss.

average american

That would be against the law in the USA big time. Employment laws prohibit discrimination based upon race, color, sex, religion, sex, disability, marital status, national origin and sexual orientation. Same for houseing.

Discrimnatin cause alienation which harms the individual and society as a whole, and does not allow people to live up to their full potential which in the end benefits society and mankind as a whole.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."
"• John Donne, No Man Is An Island

You could substitute discrimination for death and it would still stand true.

Last edited:

pmaitra

^^

Average American, please open a new thread here and introduce yourself.

Also, welcome to DFI.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
That would be against the law in the USA big time. Employment laws prohibit discrimination based upon race, color, sex, religion, sex, disability, marital status, national origin and sexual orientation. Same for houseing.

Discrimnatin cause alienation which harms the individual and society as a whole, and does not allow people to live up to their full potential which in the end benefits society and mankind as a whole.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."
"• John Donne, No Man Is An Island

You could substitute discrimination for death and it would still stand true.
Against the law does not mean it does not happen. Employers are smart. They can and do easily guess your race from your name, and sometimes throw your resume in the trash without even looking at it.

average american

I employed a lot of people and would not have taken the risk, I know some people that did not sell a house to some people because of race they ended up giving them the house. I am sure it happens but big corporations dont usually take that kind of risk.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
^^Yup, it's never overt, that would be stupid and inviting lawsuits onto yourself. It's always covert and sophisticated. Although US corporations are probably less biased than those in Canada or European countries considering the number of foreign educated skilled workers employed in the US.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Very frank.

Obviously, the Asians who speak fluent English, who would be the educated class, would not apply for such menial jobs.

But then, yes, Australian English is a wee bit over the top!

Tony is pronounced as Tiny and so on.

Can't help remembering this because a very tall and burly Australian was being called Tiny and I thought that it must be a joke.

Later on, I came to know that his name was Tony and the they pronounced it as Tiny.

average american

^^Yup, it's never overt, that would be stupid and inviting lawsuits onto yourself. It's always covert and sophisticated. Although US corporations are probably less biased than those in Canada or European countries considering the number of foreign educated skilled workers employed in the US.
When I travel South America, Europe, its allways a culture shock to see so many people that look alike. In the US in a group there allways differant races, people from differant countries. seems weird when its not that way.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles