Nirbhay Cruise Missile Development

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What's there to share. Bramhos was always capable of 800km+ . We just never claimed it to stick to mtcr rules. Now we are in the tent so we are openly claiming it.

Even those 800 km range is with max payload.
Even the original p800 is capable only for 600km. Then there is no reason to believe Brahmos to have 800km range.

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
You can use a maritime patrol plane (P8I ?) to detect the ship from a distance enough to avoid SAM, and give in just on time the target estimated location to the missile when fired. 800km at mach 3 only take 13 minutes. A ship cruising at 30 knots will only moved of 10km (partially anticipated except if the ship change suddenly and totally of direction)... Absolutely not impossible.
And if you add a data link on the missile with a refresh the last minute, it's a 100% hit !

This kind of missile is a major danger for a fleet !
And I think it's possible not only to made sea skimming attack, but also high altitude then near vertical attack, where no radar can track and engage the missile..... SO DEADLY !
Brahmos is equipped with onboard radar to lock on to the target. Before firings the target information will feed to missile, the final decision will be taken by missile itself based on the on board radar data, the 10 km shiftnfrom original target location doesn't matters much.

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Problem is not with the range of the missile. The thing is whether we have the ability to acquire targets that far out. With land targets it is possible (as their geographic location is well known) but in the open sea I don't think we have sensors that allow us to acquire a target track that far out.
When you target a land location, you just need to feed the co-ordinates. Missile will do the rest of job, thats what tomahawk & russian klub missiles are doing while targeting enemy installations.

Ajax01

Country flag
Even the original p800 is capable only for 600km. Then there is no reason to believe Brahmos to have 800km range.
The Head of Brahmos Aerospace said its possible to increase the range to 800 km now if you will start doing some digging on your own other members will be spared the trouble of having to cater to your incessant demands for links and sources like they are your personal servants and the thread will also be on track. Thank you

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The Head of Brahmos Aerospace said its possible to increase the range to 800 km now if you will start doing some digging on your own other members will be spared the trouble of having to cater to your incessant demands for links and sources like they are your personal servants and the thread will also be on track. Thank you
He said it possible, Does this means that we have the 800+km brahmos with us?

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Will they share it with india? I am bit skeptical about it.
@Ajax01 i was asking this, i got a reply that what id there to share. I want to tell you that the p800 onyx, the very missile we used to base brahmos is having 600km range.

IndianHawk

Country flag
It looks good in theory. Doesn't work that well in practice. If targeting chain is that long and complicated then adversary can easily jam one link and get away. Large targets like ACs won't be traveling alone.
The chain is not long . P8i to naval destroyer let's say ins Kolkata then Kolkata command computer simply feeds the coardinate to bramhos launch system within seconds. Bramhos is on board at ins Kolkata! Within minutes bramhos will be on the way.

IndianHawk

Country flag
It was developed later, my query is will russia is ready to share with us?
Buddy . Bramhos was always capable of 800km. There is no change to missile . It just wasn't declared because Russia is mtcr member. Russian has nothing further to share . No change is required.

Craigs

Country flag
The chain is not long . P8i to naval destroyer let's say ins Kolkata then Kolkata command computer simply feeds the coardinate to bramhos launch system within seconds. Bramhos is on board at ins Kolkata! Within minutes bramhos will be on the way.
How does INS Kolkata know coordinates are coming from P8I? Remember the spoofing attack on INS ships in the not too distant past?

IndianHawk

Country flag
How does INS Kolkata know coordinates are coming from P8I? Remember the spoofing attack on INS ships in the not too distant past?
Eh! Secure channels must have established I believe. Indian ships can be spoofed so can the Chinese and we won't have any war then !

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Man, this is ultimate. Have you ever heard anything about secured data link or satcoms?

no smoking

Country flag
You can use a maritime patrol plane (P8I ?) to detect the ship from a distance enough to avoid SAM, and give in just on time the target estimated location to the missile when fired. 800km at mach 3 only take 13 minutes. A ship cruising at 30 knots will only moved of 10km (partially anticipated except if the ship change suddenly and totally of direction)... Absolutely not impossible.
And if you add a data link on the missile with a refresh the last minute, it's a 100% hit !
Actually not, when missile is sea skimming with 3 times faster speed, the processing speed of the electronic component must be 3 times faster than that on the subsonic missile. Consider other factors, such as background noise, the maneuvering, etc, etc, this kind of weapon is ease to lost their target in the terminal stage (the last 30 seconds).

This kind of missile is a major danger for a fleet !
And I think it's possible not only to made sea skimming attack, but also high altitude then near vertical attack, where no radar can track and engage the missile..... SO DEADLY !
Well, there is no radar can intercept these targets flying in different modes in the same time, but the fleet air-defense system includes various radars for different purpose.

Craigs

Country flag
Actually not, when missile is sea skimming with 3 times faster speed, the processing speed of the electronic component must be 3 times faster than that on the subsonic missile. Consider other factors, such as background noise, the maneuvering, etc, etc, this kind of weapon is ease to lost their target in the terminal stage (the last 30 seconds).

Well, there is no radar can intercept these targets flying in different modes in the same time, but the fleet air-defense system includes various radars for different purpose.
I don't think the speed of electronic components are a limitation in this day and age. As far as maneuvering goes, this missile is capable of 'S' maneuver in terminal stage. The problem is always of target acquisition at long ranges. Once acquired when faced with a volley of missiles and as long as the target is large enough like an AC or a large capital ship then the target is dead. But if the target is small and deploys counter measures like decoys and runs for life to get out of the missiles radar cone then it may survive.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Brahmos is equipped with onboard radar to lock on to the target. Before firings the target information will feed to missile, the final decision will be taken by missile itself based on the on board radar data, the 10 km shiftnfrom original target location doesn't matters much.
The seeker of a missile is small, radar operations are not easy above the sea in see skimming mode, the later you open the radar reduce the time of response of the ship, the ship can use electronic counter measures and flares...

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
I don't think classical mecanical radar can track vertically on a ship. Even AESA radar like Aegis are limited to a max 70°, probably less.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Agree .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles