Next Generation Frigates (NGF)

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
The NGF Mentioned in TPCR and in MDL correspondence alongside NGD/P18. And 12 are planned from a after the Project 17 A class frigates.

Haldilal

Country flag
I feel like MF-STAR might be continued for Frigates whereas Destroyers (P-18 onwards) would get LRMFR (the one on INS Anvesh). I read somewhere that LRMFR is similar in size to SPY-6 the Americans want on their Arleigh Burke replacement. Don't know if its also a GaN AESA.
Ya'll Nibbiars both for the NGF and the NGD the LRMFR would be use considering the increase in the threats and the demands.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Possible, but that is speculation at best. Though a very likely one.

As of frigates, much will depend on how the surface warfare doctrine develops like I said previously. If NGF is to NGD what 17A is to 15B (basically a smaller ship with almost same capabilities), then same LRMFR can be used for NGF as well.

These TRM arrays are by nature extremely scalable so size/power is not a concern. Like the SPY-1 family, where there are versions for smallest to biggest class of vessel:

Yeah, it would make sense for a scaled down LRMFR to be the radar for NGF. Otherwise they would have simply called it P-17B, not NGF.
But if they go for mini-LRMFR in NGF, would they include AD-2 in their loadout? DRDO said AD-2 is SM-3 equivalent.
Another thing, BAE was considering a 5-panel radar for BMD (5th panel facing up). Doesn't look like LRMFR has that.
One approach could be to have heavier 5.5-6 meter "dia" LRMFR on the NGD, but mounted low, like in Arleigh Burke class. And then on NGF, a smaller 3 meter LRMFR mounted on a mast like P-17 for edge against sea-skimming targets.

Gessler

Country flag
Yeah, it would make sense for a scaled down LRMFR to be the radar for NGF. Otherwise they would have simply called it P-17B, not NGF.
But if they go for mini-LRMFR in NGF, would they include AD-2 in their loadout? DRDO said AD-2 is SM-3 equivalent.
Another thing, BAE was considering a 5-panel radar for BMD (5th panel facing up). Doesn't look like LRMFR has that.
One approach could be to have heavier 5.5-6 meter "dia" LRMFR on the NGD, but mounted low, like in Arleigh Burke class. And then on NGF, a smaller 3 meter LRMFR mounted on a mast like P-17 for edge against sea-skimming targets.
Again that would depend on doctrine. If NGD is going to be AAW-focused while NGF is more multipurpose (like Type 45 DDG & Type 26 FFG) then it would make sense to put AD-2 only on NGD.

The NGF Mentioned in TPCR and in MDL correspondence alongside NGD/P18. And 12 are planned from a after the Project 17 A class frigates.
12 NGF?

Where it says that? TPCR said 05-10 fir NGF & NGD combined. Meaning probably 6-7 NGF and 3-4 NGD.

Please give link.

Haldilal

Country flag
Again that would depend on doctrine. If NGD is going to be AAW-focused while NGF is more multipurpose (like Type 45 DDG & Type 26 FFG) then it would make sense to put AD-2 only on NGD.

12 NGF?

Where it says that? TPCR said 05-10 fir NGF & NGD combined. Meaning probably 6-7 NGF and 3-4 NGD.

Please give link.
Ya'll Nibbiars 7?. Then I might be mistaken. But 3 to 4 for the the NGD I don't think.

Last edited:

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll I think it's was 7 plus 7 for the NGF and the 6 plus 6 for the NGD. The bleh nibba said this about the NGD. The NGF I can't say for sure.

Gessler

Country flag
Ya'll I think it's was 7 plus 7 for the NGF and the 6 plus 6 for the NGD. The bleh nibba said this about the NGD. The NGF I can't say for sure.
Sab bakwas.

TPCR tak speculate karrahi hai ki 5-10 range mein hoga. That means they not yet decided numbers.

Haldilal

Country flag
Sab bakwas.

TPCR tak speculate karrahi hai ki 5-10 range mein hoga. That means they not yet decided numbers.
Ya'll Nibbiars then what bleh wrong about the NGD?.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Russia has completed three Admiral Gorshkov class frigates and Building 5 and has planned 15 total. But we are still stuck in this single digits classes.

vampyrbladez

Country flag

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The seven in the class?.
Approximately 7-8 frigates. It will keep MDL and GRSE busy with the P 17B and NGC till the late 2020s by which time focus will be on the NGD and NGF.

Bear in mind that the Brahmaputra Class and Batch 1 Talwar Class will be 30+ years old in the early 2030s and will be heading for retirement.

Haldilal

Country flag

Talwar frigates are doing a great work for indian navy why India need new frigates
Ya'll Nibbiars because our needs are incrasing and to counter the PLAN in the Indian Ocean. The INs requires 30 to 48 Frigates.

10 Talwar and Improved class.

3 Shivalik class.

7 Nilgiri class.

7 Improved Nilgiri class.

12 NGF.

3 Bharmaputra class.

And 12 Improved NGF which will replace the aging 3 Talwar and 3 Bharmaputra class in the 30s.

And this frigates displaces around 6,000 tons to the 7,000 tons on average, exosct the Twalar class which are displaces around 5,000 tons. The frigates are the Importantly part of the INs Blue water Fleet along with the existing and planned heavy Corvettes.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles