New Russian single engine fighter jet

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Right now, even before the Americans can finalize the design of their NGAD fighter, the engines that most likely will power it are already maturing:

1. P&W has already tested a 3-stage derivative of its F135 engine way back in 2017, which is going to be its XA101;

2. GE has just completed ground testing its first XA100 engine.

Both these engines are designed for 6th gen fighters.

Reactions: SKC

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I do not think so
Products depend on demand. In history, there have been many aircraft with poor engines, which have achieved good results, such as F4 and F14A,
I am mainly wondering whether this single-engine fifth-generation fighter can meet the needs of future air combat.

Engine tech has already advanced so much that a single engine is all you need. A B777 can fly with only 1 engine.

lixun

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Engine tech has already advanced so much that a single engine is all you need. A B777 can fly with only 1 engine.
I don’t know much about airliners. For me, the flight attendant is the most beautiful. I’m sitting on that airliner.
First of all, the most important function of the fifth-generation fighter is to serve as a front-line information node. This requires sufficient space time and enough space in the aircraft to accommodate electronic equipment. Then the size of the aircraft has a minimum. Chinese paper It is believed that the size of the fifth-generation machine cannot be lower than F15

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@ lixun

Both F-104 and F-4 were designed around the J79 engine which was already existing and mature during both these aircrafts' development. The earlier F-104 in particular was fabled for being built around the J79 engine that according to pilots it was like riding the engine itself.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I don’t know much about airliners. For me, the flight attendant is the most beautiful. I’m sitting on that airliner.
First of all, the most important function of the fifth-generation fighter is to serve as a front-line information node. This requires sufficient space time and enough space in the aircraft to accommodate electronic equipment. Then the size of the aircraft has a minimum. Chinese paper It is believed that the size of the fifth-generation machine cannot be lower than F15

There are many considerations for a 5th gen fighter. One of which is the need for a lot of power to energize its myriad of sensors. Here the engine must not only have good reliability, fuel economy and power, but it must also have very good thermal management to allow it to generate more electrcity for the sensors.

lixun

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@ lixun

Both F-104 and F-4 were designed around the J79 engine which was already existing and mature during both these aircrafts' development. The earlier F-104 in particular was fabled for being built around the J79 engine that according to pilots it was like riding the engine itself.
There is an F104 pilot in Taiwan,
Crashed four times a year
, A veritable widow maker

Neptune

Country flag
Checkmate is premature. It's too early to declare its success or failure. More importantly it has no production ready 5th gen engine at the moment. So what we can all discuss probably is the looks... here I don't have a favorable view of it. Mig-29, Su-27 and Su-57 have good looks (if they look good they probably flies good), not this one though.

I cannot get over that cartoonish open mouth.

At first I thought the intake was pretty ugly but I sort of like it now. I understood why they designed it that way (I think). I really like how it uses components from the SU-57 such as wings and radar to drive cost down, make it more modular and easier to work on. It’s a radical new design, something I did not think Sukhoi would do. The Intake design, V-tail configuration and single engine is not something Sukhoi is known to traditionally use.

With further studies of the tail section I have the following to add (some of this is new, some I already stated):

1. drag is reduced

2. radar cross section is reduced (elimination of corner reflectors)

3. all moving vertical stabilizers reduce unnecessary flaps which improve RCS

4. less maintenance is required by virtue of eliminating the horizontal stabilizers.

5. weight is also saved by eliminating the vertical stabilizers.

These have already been posted but they really show the most flattering angles as well as show how the vertical stabilizers actually look. Interesting side inlet designs, somewhat like the top side of intakes on the F-35 but smaller. I also noticed the aircraft has gradual wide blending of the fuselage just to the sides of the canopy, somewhat YF-23 reminiscent.

4B18203B-942A-450F-9438-8B85AEB36984.jpeg

FA71EEE1-DAE8-4F67-9182-175C69072486.png

lixun

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
At first I thought the intake was pretty ugly but I sort of like it now. I understood why they designed it that way (I think). I really like how it uses components from the SU-57 such as wings and radar to drive cost down, make it more modular and easier to work on. It’s a radical new design, something I did not think Sukhoi would do. The Intake design, V-tail configuration and single engine is not something Sukhoi is known to traditionally use.

With further studies of the tail section I have the following to add (some of this is new, some I already stated):

1. drag is reduced

4. less maintenance is required by virtue of eliminating the horizontal stabilizers.

These have already been posted but they really show the most flattering angles as well as show how the vertical stabilizers actually look. Interesting side inlet designs, somewhat like the top side of intakes on the F-35 but smaller. I also noticed the aircraft has gradual wide blending of the fuselage just to the sides of the canopy, somewhat YF-23 reminiscent.

View attachment 101192

View attachment 101193
In terms of aerodynamic shape, the large side strips, large swept angle wings, and V-shaped tail fins are indeed possible, and at the same time strengthen the supersonic performance and subsonic performance, like the J20,
If the stealth performance is well designed, it can reach the level of F35.

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
If it goes well, it will take at least 5 years for the product 30 to be officially finalized, and the supply of su57 needs to be given priority. Moreover, this single-engine fighter has insufficient avionics and has insufficient range, which will not be too attractive for countries other than China
are you talking about J-31?

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
In terms of aerodynamic shape, the large side strips, large swept angle wings, and V-shaped tail fins are indeed possible, and at the same time strengthen the supersonic performance and subsonic performance, like the J20,
If the stealth performance is well designed, it can reach the level of F35.
no canards, no ventral fins, thrust vectoring for aerodynamic control, supercruise capability, smaller size pretty much it is much better than J-20 and J-31, in fact better than F-35

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

1. drag is reduced

View attachment 101192

View attachment 101193

As I said it's too early to be able to discuss much more compare it's capabilities. Much will depend on what is its engine, sensors, final shape, radar absorbing skin, etc.

As to its gaping mouth, I think it was resorted to by Sukhoi to allow IR missile bays to be embedded in the side chins of the fighter.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
no canards, no ventral fins, thrust vectoring for aerodynamic control, supercruise capability, smaller size pretty much it is much better than J-20 and J-31, in fact better than F-35

It's like comparing an in production car with a concept car, it makes no sense.

MiG-29SMT

Country flag

1. drag is reduced

View attachment 101192

View attachment 101193
1626931899657.png

It uses basically the original style F-8 super crusader intake

1626932000509.png

but the shape is closer to the F-16
1626932052452.png

lixun

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It's called Lambda Wing, and it can't keep up with the J20 with long-distance coupled canard wings, enlarged side strips and medium trapezoidal sweep angle.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles