New Naval Technology

Tactical Frog

Country flag
E70FC908-881B-449D-A07B-DAEBA3417984.jpeg
Could the return of the tumblehome design be truly underway?

France’s new warship will have an inverted bow and 2.2-ton radar panels
View attachment 46747
View attachment 46748
Wow ! Hopefully !

Tumblehome design ships deserve a second chance ! They look awesome.

Imperial Russian battleship Tsesarevich during her sea trials in Toulon, September 1903

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
View attachment 46750

Wow ! Hopefully !

Tumblehome design ships deserve a second chance ! They look awesome.

Imperial Russian battleship Tsesarevich during her sea trials in Toulon, September 1903
And I believe tumblehomes upright triangular sloping angle makes it stealthier than traditional boats. Just look at Sweden's Visby class boats...

K32_HMS_Helsingborg_Anchored-of-Gotska-Sandoen_cropped.jpg

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Testing Jet Suits from a PAC-24 Fast RIB, and onto a P2000 Patrol Boat by the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, .

Seeing that the manoeuvering thrusters are on the arms, I doubt these jet suits can ever be used in an assault role with weapons.

However, there's another type of suit which is controlled differently which would be more suitable as it leaves the hands free....

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
And I believe tumblehomes upright triangular sloping angle makes it stealthier than traditional boats. Just look at Sweden's Visby class boats...

View attachment 46763
Can you tell me about the 'X'-shaped hull?.. Apparently it improves stealth in Kamorta class, but we don't use ot anywhere else.

Last edited:

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
USS Portland Fires Laser Weapon, Downs Drone in First At-Sea Test

1590390220029.png

Amphibious ship USS Portland (LPD-27) shot down a drone with a laser weapon during a first-of-its-kind at-sea test of the Navy’s high-energy laser weapon system.

The Navy is currently developing and testing a portfolio of laser weapons, some of which are more powerful but only suited for ships with greater power-generation capabilities, like the San Antonio-class amphibious transport docks (LPD-17), while others are less powerful but could be fielded on a greater variety of ships, including the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer.

In this test, Portland fired its high-power laser weapon at an unmanned aerial vehicle while operating off Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on May 16, U.S. Pacific Fleet announced in a news release today.

“By conducting advanced at sea tests against UAVs and small crafts, we will gain valuable information on the capabilities of the Solid State Laser Weapons System Demonstrator against potential threats,” Capt. Karrey Sanders, commanding officer of Portland, said in the news release.

“The Solid State Laser Weapons System Demonstrator is a unique capability the Portland gets to test and operate for the Navy, while paving the way for future weapons systems,” he added. “With this new advanced capability, we are redefining war at sea for the Navy.”

Apparently, this initial laser test doesn't seem powerful enough to bring down an aircraft and incoming missiles. The land versions do. However I'm sure they're working on it.

santacatarinabr

Country flag
-
Meet the OTH 0100 radar | IACIT | Brazilian technology | Brazilian Navy | Subtitled | SCBR
-

Global Defence

New threads

Articles