New Ishapore`s Assult Rifle Goes Into Production

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Ishapore rifle factory design Rifle goes into mass production ..

KOLKATA: Rifle Factory, Ishapore, one of the oldest ordnance factories in the country, has successfully designed an assault rifle on the lines of the AK-47.Sources in the Ordnance Factory Board said the prototype of this weapon had successfully cleared field trials by the Army, the Indian Air Force and the Sashastra Seema Bal. The Ishapore factory will soon start production of 50,000 units of this rifle in the first phase.

For over a decade now, the Ordnance Factory Board has been attempting to develop an indigenous assault rifle on the lines of the AK-47. Initially, there was some embarrassment after an ordnance factory displayed an indigenous replica of the AK-47 at a defence expo in Delhi. This didn't go unnoticed and Mikhail Kalashnikov, the inventor of the world's most sold and used assault rifle that goes by his name, threatened to file a copyright violation suit against the Indian ordnance factory.

"Since then, our designers have been attempting to develop an assault rifle, using the AK-47 as a model but without replicating any of its mechanism. Three ordnance factories tried to develop their own variants. These were Rifle Factory of Ishapore, the Small Arms Factory of Kanpur and the Ordnance Factory of Tiruchirapalli. The Ishapore factory has a long history of developing and making rifles. During the World Wars, this factory produced .303 bolt-action rifles for the Allied forces. After the 1962 Sino-India conflict, the factory developed and built the 7.62mm self-loading semi-automatic rifle. This rifle was called the Ishapore Rifle and it went on to become the mainstay for the Indian security forces for several decades. In the 90's, the factory started manufacturing the 5.56mm Insas rifles that are still the primary personal weapon of the Indian infantryman," an official said.

The three factories at Ishapore, Kanpur and Tiruchirapalli built prototypes that underwent tests for the first time earlier this year. Minor defects were detected in all three variants. While the one developed by the Ishapore factory was declared fit in all other aspects, it failed to operate successfully in mud. An assault rifle has to be effective in all conditions, even when fired from under slush.

"This defect was rectified subsequently and when the final round of tests was conducted, the Ishapore variant was declared the best. This is an improved version of any assault rifle and the designers borrowed several facets from the 5.56mm Insas, which was also developed at Ishapore, while making this rifle. With the Insas going out of production, facilities at the Ishapore factory were lying idle. The new order will sustain the factory for the times to come," the official added.

Source :

India Develops AK-47 Variant
Ishapore factory develops Indian variant of AK-47 | idrw.org
Ishapore factory develops Indian variant of AK-47 - The Times of India
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ian-variant-of-ak-47/articleshow/44688141.cms

======================

@ALBY, @Apollyon, @arnab maity, @arnabmit, @bose, @Defenceindia2010, @Dovah, @jackprince, @JBH22, @Keshav Murali, @Mariner HK, @mehrotraprince, @navkapu, @rvjpheonix, @sesha_maruthi27, @shafiq alam @AVERAGE INDIAN, @Lions Of Punjab , @ninja85, @Patriot, @TrueSpirit1, @vishal_lionheart, @Waffen SS @vijaytripoli, @ztunelover , @Pandora , @ersakthivel , @pmaitra , @Twinblade , @Shaitan , @ghost , @Hari Sud , @Ray Sir, @sayareakd Sir , @bose , @Casper , @power_monger , @Pulkit

And all Others :)

Last edited:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
the million dollar question why do we we need this now when DRDO have developed Multicaliber rifle, second i don't see any advantages over the current INSAS rifle

the best way is supply this AK variant to all our police force which still uses the 303 rifles just my opnion

i feel the best way to justify replacing INSAS is DRDO multi caliber rifle even it take little time for induction just my 2 cents

ghost

This is an improved version of any assault rifle and the designers borrowed several facets from the 5.56mm Insas
If this is true,then most probably it is Excaliber rifle design to chamber 7.62 with 30 round magazine ,auto mode and fire rate of 600rpm which it already have.

I would have loved to see trichy succeed,with some minor modification . It was based on SLR ,hence would have been reliable and accurate.

Ky Loung

If they use the same classic body design of the Kalashnikovs than it is already outdated for the modern battlefield. Even the Russian high command realized the AK body design is obsolete. Hopefully they use a two piece modular design with ergonomics in mind like most modern rifles.

I highly recommend Indian Small Arms Engineers take a plane trip to the USA for the next Shot Show. It will give them ideas how fast modern small have progressed in the last few years.

Russia says no to Kalashnikovs - English pravda.ru

Russian Chief Of Staff Says AK47 Belongs In Garbage Can

This year has seen the end of the longstanding tradition of the Soviet times. Russia's Defense Ministry has decided to completely refuse from purchasing the legendary AK-74 rifles for the army. There are two reasons for that: the country has too many Kalashnikovs and they are outdated.

Nikolai Makarov, the Chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces said: "Yes, we have refused. The reserves that we have in the country exceed the needs considerably."

Afterwards, the official destroyed the AK-74 completely having said that the Kalashnikovs were not good for the army.

Last edited:

Twinblade

Country flag
the million dollar question why do we we need this now when DRDO have developed Multicaliber rifle, second i don't see any advantages over the current INSAS rifle

the best way is supply this AK variant to all our police force which still uses the 303 rifles just my opnion

i feel the best way to justify replacing INSAS is DRDO multi caliber rifle even it take little time for induction just my 2 cents
A) There's a lot of love for the 7.62x39 mm round in the forces, it's established beyond reason now.
B) A lot of police forces and units have standardised around 7.62x39 mm (for eg:- Delhi Police uses AKMs instead of INSAS)
C) MCIWS/INSAS-F rifle will be expensive and is still close to half a decade away. Any changes made in one variant of the rifle will reflect in all variants, hence the development period will be long.

pmaitra

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Re: Assault Rifle

So, @Shaitan, this one is an airsoft?

You gotta admit, airsofts look just like the original these days.
Not even an airsoft. It's a cgi model from a video game mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
The gun in the ToI article looks like H&K sub-machinegun or carbine. It certainly is not an AKM clone.

Edit:

Yep, I was right. It is the Heckler & Koch MP5 SMG:

I meant that ak shown in the other thread. Didnt even click on the article, figured it was in it.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Ishapore rifle factory design Rifle goes into mass production ..

======================
Thats good AK47 has been always a reliable weapon Having one based on it is great....

I am assuming one thing here.... If it has entered mass production it means that the trials have been more than successful and User is very happy with it....otherwise it would have been other way round ...

That is sufficient to answer the need of this weapon....
I will agree with Police and other forces using it.... it will surely be helpful....
What is the status of Multi caliber Rifle of DRDO.... I am not sure it is ready for mass production... not having much info about it do shed some light.....

If this is true,then most probably it is Excaliber rifle design to chamber 7.62 with 30 round magazine ,auto mode and fire rate of 600rpm which it already have.
I would have loved to see trichy succeed,with some minor modification . It was based on SLR ,hence would have been reliable and accurate.
What Minor modifications are you seeking????

A) There's a lot of love for the 7.62x39 mm round in the forces, it's established beyond reason now.
B) A lot of police forces and units have standardised around 7.62x39 mm (for eg:- Delhi Police uses AKMs instead of INSAS)
C) MCIWS/INSAS-F rifle will be expensive and is still close to half a decade away. Any changes made in one variant of the rifle will reflect in all variants, hence the development period will be long.
:thumb:

ghost

Re: Trichy Assault Rifle

@Pulkit sir,
What Minor modifications are you seeking????

1 Stock A modular stock which is Adjustable at different positions,side folding,can be fired from folded position ,has a recoil compensation system which reduce the felt recoil ,adjustable cheek rest etc etc.

2 Handguard A light weight modular handguard with detachable P rail on upside and down ,and slot rail sections in sides where more rails can be added as per need.This will help to mount multiple sights,laser ,fore grip,UGBL and various other accessories as per need.

3 Transparent magazine

The final product will look like this

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Re: Trichy Assault Rifle

No Sir bhai .... My knowledge is way limited to be called SIR.... I learn from you people here
1 Stock A modular stock which is Adjustable at different positions,side folding,can be fired from folded position ,has a recoil compensation system which reduce the felt recoil ,adjustable cheek rest etc etc.

2 Handguard A light weight modular handguard with detachable P rail on upside and down ,and slot rail sections in sides where more rails can be added as per need.This will help to mount multiple sights,laser ,fore grip,UGBL and various other accessories as per need.
These are not minor changes my friend..... This will lead to reshaping re evaluation.... I am not sure if all the req u suggested are needed or yet not implemented .... but these are nice changes if required....
3 Transparent magazine
Transparent hmmm that might be possible even today .... will be good.....
The final product will look like this

The Last Stand

Country flag
I've seen a lot of policemen in Chennai with AK's but not with a 303. 303's are not in service anywhere in India. You must've seen Ishapore 2A1 rifle.

BTW, the police security outside the US consulate in Chennai carry AK's with modified stocks. And the airport security carries INSAS.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That photo is possibly a Photoshopped, Because from the article >>

our designers have been attempting to develop an assault rifle, using the AK-47 as a model but without replicating any of its mechanism. Three ordnance factories tried to develop their own variants. While the one developed by the Ishapore factory was declared fit in all other aspects, This is an improved version of any assault rifle and the designers borrowed several facets from the 5.56mm Insas

Ishapore design AR are basically INSAS 1B1`s influenced, Let it be Excalibur, Kalantak Which are made and design by Ishapore branch ..

Where as Kanpur branch design mainly Sub-machine Guns like MSMC and Amogh, Its possible that they re-chambered a Amogh on steroid for 7.62x39mm ..

And lastly Tiruchirapalli branch came up with SLR influenced Rifle chambered for 7.62x39mm ..
================
================

My Idea is that it is probably INSAS 1B1 chambered for 7.62x39mm with P-rails ..

This is a accurate guess at best .. :D

mikhail

Country flag
That photo is possibly a Photoshopped, Because from the article >>

================
================

My Idea is that it is probably INSAS 1B1 chambered for 7.62x39mm with P-rails ..

This is a accurate guess at best .. :D
Well sir,my personal opinion is that this rifle will most probably be based on the T.A.R. with some upgrades.The image that is currently circulating in the internat is a fake one i guess.The real rifle will be somewhat like a modified T.A.R.But the question is that why didn't the Ishapore OFB factory start manufacturing the existing Excalibur rifle instead of developing a new one??

Twinblade

Country flag
I've seen a lot of policemen in Chennai with AK's but not with a 303. 303's are not in service anywhere in India. You must've seen Ishapore 2A1 rifle.

BTW, the police security outside the US consulate in Chennai carry AK's with modified stocks. And the airport security carries INSAS.
Both Ishapore 2A (.303) and Ishapore 2A1 (7.62 NATO) are in service with a lot of police forces.
(rectangular sights and magazine = 2A1, rounded magazine and sights = 2A)

In fact I see 5-6 times as many 2As for one 2A1.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The forces both in Army and paramilitary asked for a AR in 7.62x39mm, In that case Excalibur is not in need as its fire 5.56mm, Though it is very much of a probability that we may see Excalibur or INSAS 1B1 in 7.62x39mm avatar ..

As the above post you quoted, Ishapore`s design for all AR based around Original INSAS 1B1 ..

why didn't the Ishapore OFB factory start manufacturing the existing Excalibur rifle instead of developing a new one??

Global Defence

New threads

Articles