New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

aditya g

Country flag
It's a modernized FN fal "tactical".Para FAL to be precise.
I am sure we have plenty of SLRs tucked away in army and police safes in the country.

Army could explore reinstating SLRs with some units, say those on LoC.

ghost

I am sure we have plenty of SLRs tucked away in army and police safes in the country.

Army could explore reinstating SLRs with some units, say those on LoC.
SLR is too long,heavy and kick like a mule so not preferred nowadays or in future.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
One can always do some tweets and turn them into DMR, We have shortage of DMR in Army ..

SVD or this new procurement will not change the picture in next decade.

SLR is too long,heavy and kick like a mule so not preferred nowadays or in future.

ghost

Even though initially I was fine with Indian army choice of 7.62x51mm rifle, but now after contemplating over it for some time I think we should avoid it.7.62 rifles are bigger,heavier with high recoil ,it will only add to the early fatigue of soldiers.A firefight is different from hunting or range shooting,in a combat it's all about speed and accuracy ;both of which will be affected by such high caliber round.

I think 7.62x39mm should suffice our needs.We need a rifle ,with which our jawans can swiftly work around corners and engage multiple targets at fast pace.

In 7.62x51mm only scar H in one rifle which is light and have less recoil, but I don't see it becoming our next standard issue rifle.Our aim should be to reduce and tackle the wear and tear and fatigue of soldiers in combat field instead of increasing it.We should take whole scenario in picture and aim to increase efficiency of soldiers instead of just going in by the power of a round.A well placed 7.62x39mm in all terms is a fatal round.

Indian army should seriously reconsider its decision!

An ak 109 in 7.62x39 with good optics would be good.(minimal recoil)

ghost

We already have Ghatak Rifle why go for new foreign rifle?

Two reasons:
1 Indian army want 7.62x51mm ,which Ghatak is not.

2 Indian army want minimum effective range of 500m while Ghatak has only 300m.

Ghatak can be good for CQB but due to its limited range not suitable to be standard issue of armed forces, who are required to act under diverse environment.

Here is the RFI of Indian army,you can see the requirements:http://indianarmy.nic.in/writereaddata/RFI/490/RFI Aslt Rif.pdf

Hari Sud

Country flag
Hold the discussion until Pakistan makes the final choice on its replacement rifle. They are replacing both H &K and Chinese rifle with new rifle. One of the finalist is Bren, one version of it failed its tests in India.

Let us see if they make the final choice. A picture of this rifle is in this thread a few pages earlier.

Indian soldiers cannot have an inferior rifle, hence hold on and watch what happens next.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
I am bit confused between M4 anf M16 rifle.
Both look similar.
Can some one help me ?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

ghost

I am bit confused between M4 anf M16 rifle.
Both look similar.
Can some one help me ?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk
Both are basically same rifle except some changes:

M4 has shorter barrel as a result shorter overall length.

Barrel length
M4a1 = 14.5 inches long
M16a4= 20inches long

Stock

M4a1 = adjustable stock

M16a4=fixed stock

Firing mode
M4a1 = Full autoM16a4=3round burst

Rchauhan

Country flag
@ People .... I must say that even though Indian Army has not been able to find a INSAS Replacement but Your commitment for sharing information and the level of Knowledge is super (Some of you are really good) . I have been watching updates of this Forum for years in a hope that Our Army Guys will one day hold the best AR in the world one day since last 5-6 years but no news comes apart from Red tape corruption , failure from this and that dept on not putting the requirement correctly bla, bla and shit.... Just one Question Guys ,,,, By Nov 2016 forign companies were asked to put the details of the Rifles they have ...dose anyone know who are in the Final Race to win this contract .......Cheers

Hari Sud

Country flag
@ People .... I must say that even though Indian Army has not been able to find a INSAS Replacement but Your commitment for sharing information and the level of Knowledge is super (Some of you are really good) . I have been watching updates of this Forum for years in a hope that Our Army Guys will one day hold the best AR in the world one day since last 5-6 years but no news comes apart from Red tape corruption , failure from this and that dept on not putting the requirement correctly bla, bla and shit.... Just one Question Guys ,,,, By Nov 2016 forign companies were asked to put the details of the Rifles they have ...dose anyone know who are in the Final Race to win this contract .......Cheers
Red tape yes, corruption in rifle purchases not yet. First you have to select one. If Indian Army has to hold a superior rifle in their hands, they have to what Pakistani Army is about to buy and what miserable rifle of their own origin they are going to bring to the battle.

So hold on, there is no rush. Immediate needs are being met with Excalibur purchases which meets all Army requirements except it is not sexy enough compared to the foreign brands. Do not go with later's glossy brochures. Some of these failed in tests conducted three years back. Moreover only very recently the Indian Army changed its caliber from 5.56 to 7.62. I am guessing because Pakistani Army is replacing their original forty year old 7.62 H &K rifles with 7.62 again. There is something to learn.

rishivashista13

Country flag
Red tape yes, corruption in rifle purchases not yet. First you have to select one. If Indian Army has to hold a superior rifle in their hands, they have to what Pakistani Army is about to buy and what miserable rifle of their own origin they are going to bring to the battle.

So hold on, there is no rush. Immediate needs are being met with Excalibur purchases which meets all Army requirements except it is not sexy enough compared to the foreign brands. Do not go with later's glossy brochures. Some of these failed in tests conducted three years back. Moreover only very recently the Indian Army changed its caliber from 5.56 to 7.62. I am guessing because Pakistani Army is replacing their original forty year old 7.62 H &K rifles with 7.62 again. There is something to learn.
I , don't think it's true .
We can't get affected by Pakistani army's rifle selection .
Rifle selection totally depends on our training and tactics ,and how we want to fight .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Rchauhan

Country flag
I , don't think it's true .
We can't get affected by Pakistani army's rifle selection .
Rifle selection totally depends on our training and tactics ,and how we want to fight .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk
I think this is defiantly one of the reason for delay and though not the only reason. It will defiantly be a moral booster for an Indian Soldier to know that the Gun in His hand is More Powerful and has more deadly firepower then what Paki Soldiers are carrying . I think not Just Pakistan they will also be looking at what Chines Soldier carry . As I said this probably is one of the reason for Delay and not just the only reason ... The other reason could be Technical and Political in Nature like cost,range , rate of fine , jamming etc

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their is no delay, They all failed here and did not make it to expectations, It wasted a decade and taxpayer money and force Army to delayed Infantry mordanisation.

If there wasn`t a farce such as these trails, We would already be fielding Excalibur in majority of Infantry units.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Their is no delay, They all failed here and did not make it to expectations, It wasted a decade and taxpayer money and force Army to delayed Infantry mordanisation.

If there wasn`t a farce such as these trails, We would already be fielding Excalibur in majority of Infantry units.
During the rifle trails, are the foreign vendors allowed to make any modifications during the course of trial ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their are set of rules, I am not aware about it in detail..

But each of the vendors have to get 7-12 samples for trails which is basis, Each one has to go through various conditions with fixed specs as per Army, This is same for OFB rifles as far as i know ..

During the rifle trails, are the foreign vendors allowed to make any modifications during the course of trial ?

uoftotaku

Country flag
https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...ng-the-army-s-m855a1-standard-ball-cartridge/

A good read for enthusiasts. I feel this kind of in depth knowledge is missing in India due to lack of civilian gun culture. Tends to manifest itself in the fan-boy ranting about "this gun good-that gun bad" on this forum. Also the knee jerk reactions in our Army that keeps changing its mind at will about it wants seem to me a symptom of a lack of critical analysis. On this forum I think only Kunal saab has the kind of in-depth knowledge to dissect and give technical analysis like the one in above article.

My humble request to fellow forumers to do some background research as well so that we can raise the tone of debate here.

Jai Hind

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles