Nethanyhu’s UN speech: Video + a quick summary

alon9

Full speech on YouTube:
YouTube - Full Netanyahu UN Speech Part 1 of 4

Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed the 64th session of the United Nations General Assembly at United Nations headquarters on Thursday, Sept. 24, 2009. Netanyahu challenged Holocaust deniers, fundamentalist Islam, and war crimes charges in Gaza.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu chose to directly challenge Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at the United Nations on Thursday.

Waving minutes of a Nazi meeting on Jewish extermination and blueprints of the Auschwitz concentration camp, he staunchly defended Israel’s right to exist in peace. Invoking the courage of Winton Churchill, he sought to rouse to action the international body that had recognized that same right 62 years ago.

His three main points of his speech were:

1) The United Nations has a fundamental mission to prevent another disaster on the scale of the Holocaust. Nothing has undermined this mission more than the “systematic assault on the truth” and the UN must refuse to be a platform for such lies.

2) Iran is fueled by an “extreme fundamentalism” that is behind all modern Islamist terrorism and has pitted civilization against dangerous barbarism. In contrast to Iran’s backwardness, Israel is an innovative global leader in numerous areas, including science and technology, agriculture and water, energy and the environment.

3) The UN Human Rights Council’s recent condemnation of Israel’s conduct during the Gaza war, described in the Goldstone report, is based on a dangerous moral equivalency that would have turned Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt into war criminals.

Establishing the facts of the Holocaust
Mr. Netanyahu lambasted President Ahmadinejad’s bland denial of the Holocaust just a few days earlier and castigated those diplomats who stayed to listen to the Iranian leader speak at the UN Wednesday. Bolstering his argument with everything from historical documents in his hand to the very personal death of at least seven of his wife’s immediate relatives, he warned his listeners that Ahmadinejad’s anti-Semitic diatribes posed a threat far beyond Israel.

“What a disgrace! What a mockery of the charter of the United Nations! … History has shown us time and again that what starts with attacks on the Jews eventually ends up engulfing many others.”
Civilization vs. barbarism
Netanyahu said that the “extreme fundamentalism” that fuels the Iranian regime did not pit Muslim against Jew but was rather an effort to “return humanity to medieval times.”

“It pits civilization against barbarism, the 21st century against the 9th century, those who sanctify life against those who glorify death. … The primitivism of the 9th century ought to be no match for the progress of the 21st century.”
He staked out Israel’s role as a regional leader in innovation, as part of movement of nations marching toward progress, which offer a future of unimagined promise. Together these nations will:

Crack the genetic code.
Cure the incurable.
Lengthen lives.
Find a cheap alternative to fossil fuels and clean up the planet.
But in order for humanity to make such progress, he warned, the marriage of religious fanaticism and weapons of mass destruction must be forestalled. He then spelled out the urgent challenge to prevent the “tyrants of Tehran” from acquiring nuclear weapons.

Moral equivalency
Lastly, Netanyahu vigorously defended Israel’s record during the Gaza war, calling the Goldstone report a farce. He urged the UN to throw out the report, which he said placed Hamas and the government of Israel on equal moral footing – “falsely equating the terrorists with those they targeted.”

“If this body does not reject this report, it would send a message to terrorists everywhere: Terror pays; if you launch your attacks from densely populated areas, you will win immunity.”
The last word
“Nation shall not lift up sword against nation. They shall learn war no more.”

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
Man i love Mr Nethanyhu he is so In your face I am Loving it

and alon 9 shalom and welcome to the DFI

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
What an inspirational speech (esp. part 4/4). Thanks for sharing.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tell me something alon, what is the support base of Netanyahu? He is a fire brand leader and great nationalist, but somehow as a politician he does not come across as someone in the league of Rabin or Peres.

alon9

Tell me something alon, what is the support base of Netanyahu? He is a fire brand leader and great nationalist, but somehow as a politician he does not come across as someone in the league of Rabin or Peres.
Well, first off you should know that I personally voted for the man in the last elections, so I’m not entirely un-bias, BUT, please know that Netanyahu enjoys a wide margin of support from a very large percentage of Israeli’s, large enough to finish a 4 years term in the Knesset and strong enough to do some real good for Israel as a whole.

Let’s get the facts:
Israeli legislative election, 2009 = which brought Benjamin Netanyahu to power
Israeli legislative election, 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The parties which form my government are:
Likud + Yisrael Beiteinu + Labor Party + Shas + United Torah Judaism + National Union + The Jewish Home = 62.33%
Is 62.33% a strong support base? You tell me. :)

Please remember that it was a right-wing leader by the name of Menachem Begin, no less a “fire brand leader and great nationalist”, who led Israel to peace with Egypt: Egyptian?Israeli Peace Treaty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I truly believe that in the area in which we live in - is smack straight in the middle of the Middle East, dove/peace/leftist leaders are all well and good but can never lead a country to true peace with its neighbors because they will forever lack any kind of respect from Arab leaders necessary to achieve lasting peace. Arab society isn’t Western society, as any Arab will be proud to tell you himself.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ok doest it require you to be a firebrand to succeed in politics is israel or do moderates do as well these days

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
Arab society isn’t Western society, as any Arab will be proud to tell you himself.
yusufji what Alon said is true they ( the arabs are proud may be a bit to proud that his society is the way western socity is but that is gradually changing more arabs are westernized beyond any recignition and most of them don t know a thing about their ancestors or religion for that matter

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yeah. Been to Dubai and it doesnt look like a Muslim nation at all.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
there you got the point and then come to Dubai on a weekend you can see the Whole of the Nationalites of the GCC including the Saudis here and what they do and show here is Unbeliveable to say the least

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
When i came there i lived in Rolla street i think. Near Bur Dubai. There was this hotel out there with a night club. People told me it belonged to Dawood. And what they told me that happens there was unbelievable. No control at all. Wonder where does the moral religious police go then? Its all about money there.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
well it seems the Greenback is more valued than Religion here Yusufji sinces you know that I havent to tell that you should that

sky

Many years ago when we did history,we learned about the evil acts nazi germany carried out on to innocent jews.It was difficult reading about what happened and even worse when we saw pictures of emaciated jews who had just been freed from the concentration camps.

We went to a anne frank exhibition as well just to learn about her life,and how it was cut short by the nazi's.

For those who deny what happened only shows there ignorance as well as there inhumanity to people everwhere.

Even after the holocaust, genocide has taken place all over the world with a impotent un watching.

i once heard a great saying it goes as this: ALL THAT IS NECESSARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS THAT GOOD MEN DO NOTHING.

i am very happy to see india and israel be good friends working together in a shared partnership.

:india::israel:

alon9

Many years ago when we did history,we learned about the evil acts nazi germany carried out on to innocent jews.It was difficult reading about what happened and even worse when we saw pictures of emaciated jews who had just been freed from the concentration camps.

We went to a anne frank exhibition as well just to learn about her life,and how it was cut short by the nazi's.

For those who deny what happened only shows there ignorance as well as there inhumanity to people everwhere.

Even after the holocaust, genocide has taken place all over the world with a impotent un watching.

i once heard a great saying it goes as this: ALL THAT IS NECESSARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS THAT GOOD MEN DO NOTHING.

i am very happy to see india and israel be good friends working together in a shared partnership.

:india::israel:
Great response Sky, and thank you for posting!
Indeed: I am also very pleased to see Israel and India working together to the betterment and advancement of both countries - in all possible fields of endeavor.

I would like to comment that not all those who deny the holocaust do so because of either ignorance or inhumanity – they do it because they have a clear and well set purpose. I’m talking about the Iranian Mullocracy of course.

Since this is a different topic, I’ll open a new one and publish my thoughts on the subject there: http://www.defenceforum.in/forum/israel-iran-middle-east/5679-new-final-solution-nuts-bolts.html

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles