Naval LCH? Why not say Naval Source

Neil

Country flag

A Naval Source close to idrw.org has indicated that Navy is closely observing development of Light combat helicopter currently under development by State run Hindustan aeronautics limited (HAL).

Source also mentioned that currently Navy is not actually thinking of Inducting any LCH in its fleet , but initial success in the project ,has made Navy take notice of the project , but there are sceptical if a Marine variant can be developed based on it . Air force and Indian army both put together have a current order of more than 150 of this locally developed Light attack helicopter.

Navy is the only armed force in India, which has rejected induction of Naval version of ALH also known has Dhruv due HAL's inability to fix problems of excess vibration and Rotor blade folding issues in its Naval Variant of Dhruv .

Sources also informed that Navy has officially not shown any interest in the project, but is observant on LCH , Defence expert Rajesh Sharma believes that Marine or Naval Variant can be used from amphibious assault ship and also for coastal surveillance , specially for action against pirates ,but then again according to him Indian Army and Indian air force will be inducting close to 700 new helicopters in between them in next decade or so , Navy been the smallest Helicopter fleet operator of the three armed forces , it might be just curiosity of not to be left behind .

Naval LCH? Why not say Naval Source | idrw.org

indian_sukhoi

Why do we need Navy Helicopters??. Could someone care to explain me briefly.

-For what role the Navy will be planning to use for?
-We dont even have Ships to carry these extra Helicopters
-Ground support??,...Do u really think IN could launch a Sea Assault by landing troops over Karachi.

The only way i see usefull for Indian Navy is they may be useful against attacks on small boats. A simple Turrent gun or low cost missiles can do the same job.

Just giving my view. My two paisa!!!
Cheers,

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

-Ground support??,...Do u really think IN could launch a Sea Assault by landing troops over Karachi.

The only way i see usefull for Indian Navy is they may be useful against attacks on small boats. A simple Turrent gun or low cost missiles can do the same job.

Cheers,
We can probably turn the older Virat class carriers into Helicopter Carrier once the Vikramaditya is inducted. Attack Chopper are used in close support like in a beach assault or invasion.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
if HAL can make auto folding rotor ALH and LCH that can be put to large ships and even on oil tankers.

ALH on the left with folding rotors

some thing like this for LCH

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
The Harriers is such a fine small plain, i wonder why the phased it out! I guess it was an move to force the military to accept the F-35.

I think we should buy all those harries in good condition for the Virat.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
yeah GK i always like harriers, we should buy those right now british navy is selling those and we should accept those.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Cheers,
Its a calculated move by HAL..

IN is in making of a Amphibious assault force, Six LPD will be purchased in near future..

A Amphibious forces not only have Jets to support ground troops but also Gunship ( Like i posted in above post )..

Uses of such gunships..

1. Close support for ground troops....

2. Surveillance..

3. Electronic warfare support and Electronic Intel gathering purposes..

Etc..

But i hope Navy is not looking at Army for this role..

Neil

Country flag

Cheers,
- we do have amphibious regiments in IA which operate along side navy for sea assault....

- INS Jalashwa can carry them as well a warship with two landing facility which means they dont compromise on their sub hunting capabilities

- its not just karachi[well thats one heck of an idea considering most of PA deployed at the border-it will be like textbook style ''behind military line'' ops squeezing PA on two fronts] but are small islands which are threatened piracy,terrorist among others...

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
i think that Amphibious assault force is also part of cold start, if that be the case, IN should also buy some of the LCH navy versions to support them.

Tomcat

kunal sir the apache does not have a dedicated naval variant but Naval versions of the AH-64A for the United States Marine Corps and Navy were examined from 1984 to 1987

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan

Cheers,

For any Navy, helicopters serve several purposes -
1. Search and rescue.
2. Anti-submarine warfare
3. Transport
4. Attack enemy surface vessels, especially fast moving small ships
5. Ground attack, especially on beach defenses
6. Recon and scouting
7. CAS during land operations
8. Med-evac

LCH will probably be useful for all the above roles just unlike ALH, which will be useful for only non-combat roles.

The Harriers is such a fine small plain, i wonder why the phased it out! I guess it was an move to force the military to accept the F-35.

I think we should buy all those harries in good condition for the Virat.
The Harriers are also gas-guzzling, with low armament and non-aerodynamic 1950's era air-frames. When pitted against modern Jets like the Su-33 (or the Chinese variants) or against PAF F-16s (or even JF-17s) they would not stand a chance. They are expensive to maintain and are nearing the ends of the air-frame lifecycle. Which is why RAF is getting rid of them. IN should retire them along with the Viraat.

On second thoughts, MoD should form a Indian Marine Division (~15,000, threee regiments of ~5000, with an AC, LPDs and light tanks, artillery, LCH and naval fighters) and place the Viraat and the Harriers to train the Indian Marines and maybe serve them for a few years before the IAC2 comes to IN and the Gorshy replaces the Viraat with the Marines.

That's what I would do if I am the def-min ... :-D

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Waste of time and money. Seriously, which expeditionary combat operation is UPA-government attempting to try? We don't even have sufficient helicopter carriers to keep those ships on and whatever AC we will have will be manned with MiGs and Tejas jets. What is the use of bringing a LIGHT combat helicopter so far off from the sea? If HAL is considering a HEAVIER version of Dhruv gunship, then that has some substance, though I don't see the use of any gunships in Naval role until we become an expeditionary armed forces which is simply not needed as our enemies are right by our side.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Waste of time and money. Seriously, which expeditionary combat operation is UPA-government attempting to try? We don't even have sufficient helicopter carriers to keep those ships on and whatever AC we will have will be manned with MiGs and Tejas jets. What is the use of bringing a LIGHT combat helicopter so far off from the sea? If HAL is considering a HEAVIER version of Dhruv gunship, then that has some substance, though I don't see the use of any gunships in Naval role until we become an expeditionary armed forces which is simply not needed as our enemies are right by our side.
I would beg to differ. I think an expeditionary force will be good for attacking Karachi and other Pakistani ports and put pressure on the Pak Army from behind. Also, in case of a war with china, the expeditionary force would be great to attack the chinese "string of pearls" and open up a new front away from India's Northeast or Kashmir.
Also, with an active expeditionary force, India can get more geopolitical clout thereby increasing their chances for a permanent seat on the UN security council. In future UN missions or other offshore combat operations, IA would have an easier job when the Marines can be landed to secure the Army landing area.
In short, if India wants to be a superpower, an expeditionary force is a must (think Royal Marines, French Foreign Legion, US Marines, Soviet VDV etc).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles