Naval LCA Tejas

rahulrds1

HAL Another Milestone Maiden Flight of LCA Naval Prototype 2

Bengaluru, February 7, 2015 - Naval LCA-Tejas programme got a major fillip today when the second LCA Naval prototype took to skies from HAL here today. The Naval Prototype (NP2) made its maiden flight at about 12.27 hrs for about 35 minutes. T. Suvarna Raju, Chairman, HAL said dedicated efforts of engineers of Aircraft Research and Design Centre (ARDC) for the complex landing gear design, which is significantly different from the Air Force version made this flight possible.

The flight was piloted by Captain Shivnath Dahiya, an experienced Test Pilot from Indian Navy with the National Flight Test Centre (NFTC). The launch was accomplished under telemetry control exercised by Test Director, Commander J D Raturi and Safety Pilot, Commodore J A Maolankar, the Chief Test Pilot of NFTC. The chase aircraft cover was provided by LSP2 piloted by Gp. Capt. Suneet Krishna (Retd) with the Test Director being Gp. Capt Prabhu and the Safety Pilot being Gp. Capt. RR Tyagi.

The design teams were guided by Programme Director ADA, P S Subramanyam ensured that systems meet the stringent requirements of Carrier borne aircraft. The teams were ably supported by the Certification agency, CEMILAC and the Quality Assurance agency, CRI (LCA), Indian Navy, DRDO agencies, CSIR agencies (NAL & CSIO), other Public and Private Sector participants.

The event marks the growth of indigenous LCA (Navy) program, aimed to achieve Carrier Compatibility technology demonstration including arrested landing and ski-Jump take off, initially from the Shore Based test facility, Goa.

The success of maiden flight of NP 2 is a testimony to the efforts put in by scientists and engineers to enable flight of the first LCA Naval Fighter. With one trainer and fighter in its stable "the indigenous carrier borne fighter program is making headway snf acquiring momentum".

The ADA LCA (Navy) Programme Office, under Cmde C D Balaji (Retd) is exhilarated by the addition of NP 2 as a Flight Test platform. NP 2 has been built with vision and foresight. It addresses several systemic deficiencies observed whilst making progress on flight test of Naval Prototype 1. It incorporates most avionic hardware components promised to the customer, Indian Navy.

During design and build NP 2 has been customized (Plug & Play) to incrementally accept modifications for Carrier Landing aids like Levcon Air Data Computer, Auto-throttle, external and internal Angle of Attack lights. NP 2 is the lead aircraft for arrestor hook integration, Derby Beyond visual Range missile and tactical data link. The inclusion of NP 2 into the LCA (Navy) flight test stable is a significant milestone in the indigenous Carrier borne aircraft development program.

source : Bangalore News Network

Last edited:

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
When will it be handed over to Indian Navy .
I mean will it be travelling to Goa Naval base and when?

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

I don't know why the Hurry. Before doing some work behind the pilot Cockpit

I think HAL plans to deliver another Two seat trainer version. But somebody did something so they put something and painted black in that space

I sure this time they trolled everyone

ladder

Country flag

I think HAL plans to deliver another Two seat trainer version. But somebody did something so they put something and painted black in that space

LoL! No. They followed the unified design approach, like that of Mig-29 M/M2 or the K/KUB. If you see the K series, it has the same canopy as that of KUB but the rear seat is removed to place equipment's and extra fuel tank.

Here, unlike the K series, they have put a composite in place of glass in the rear portion of canopy.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
A two-seat prototype of a naval version of the Aeronautical Development Agency's (ADA) Tejas Mk I aircraft could have its first flight within the next three months.
The General Electric F404-IN20-powered aircraft is undergoing ground integration tests at Hindustan Aeronautics' facility on the outskirts of Bengaluru, said a senior official involved in the programme. This will be followed by engine runs and ground runs in the coming weeks.
"We expect the first flight within three months, but this is a bit optimistic because this is the first build of the airplane," said the official. "After the ground integration and engine runs we should discover if the aircraft is stable. After this we will conduct ground runs, followed by a first flight."
The official added that the ADA has asked the US Navy to help it define carrier suitability plans. He said the USA has been forthcoming with information.
The Indian government has approved two prototypes of the naval Tejas the first a two-seat trainer and the second a single-seat fighter. The official added that the Indian navy is likely to rename its version of the Tejas, which is also known as the light combat aircraft.
"Our focus is demonstrating the aircraft's carrier suitability," said the official. "We want to show the aircraft can take off from a ski-jump and perform an arrested landing."
In the first six to eight months after the aircraft's first flight it will undergo flight tests at Bengaluru. Then it will move to Hans naval air station near Goa, where a special facility with a ski-jump and arresting gear is being constructed with equipment from Russia.
Before a full arrested landing takes place, taxi-engagement and carrier-style approaches with the hook extended will take place.
If developed as a production aircraft, the naval Tejas would serve aboard the two Vikrant-class indigenous carriers being developed that should enter service at the end of the decade. It is not likely to serve aboard the INS Vikramaditya, formerly the Russian carrier Admiral Gorshkov, which could enter service at the end of 2012, or the INS Viraat, a former UK Royal Navy carrier expected to serve until 2020.
"This is the first time India is developing a naval aircraft, so it will be challenging," the official said.
The naval version of the Tejas has a number of modifications from the baseline aircraft. It has longer and strengthened landing gear, an arrester hook to enable landing on an aircraft carrier and additional control surfaces, and a leading edge vortex controller to reduce the fighter's required speed on approach to the vessel. Its front fuselage has also been changed to provide the pilot with better visibility over the nose.
I hope it wont be delayed like LCA tejas..

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
A two-seat prototype of a naval version of the Aeronautical Development Agency's (ADA) Tejas Mk I aircraft could have its first flight within the next three months.
The General Electric F404-IN20-powered aircraft is undergoing ground integration tests at Hindustan Aeronautics' facility on the outskirts of Bengaluru, said a senior official involved in the programme. This will be followed by engine runs and ground runs in the coming weeks.
"We expect the first flight within three months, but this is a bit optimistic because this is the first build of the airplane," said the official. "After the ground integration and engine runs we should discover if the aircraft is stable. After this we will conduct ground runs, followed by a first flight."
The official added that the ADA has asked the US Navy to help it define carrier suitability plans. He said the USA has been forthcoming with information.
The Indian government has approved two prototypes of the naval Tejas the first a two-seat trainer and the second a single-seat fighter. The official added that the Indian navy is likely to rename its version of the Tejas, which is also known as the light combat aircraft.
"Our focus is demonstrating the aircraft's carrier suitability," said the official. "We want to show the aircraft can take off from a ski-jump and perform an arrested landing."
In the first six to eight months after the aircraft's first flight it will undergo flight tests at Bengaluru. Then it will move to Hans naval air station near Goa, where a special facility with a ski-jump and arresting gear is being constructed with equipment from Russia.
Before a full arrested landing takes place, taxi-engagement and carrier-style approaches with the hook extended will take place.
If developed as a production aircraft, the naval Tejas would serve aboard the two Vikrant-class indigenous carriers being developed that should enter service at the end of the decade. It is not likely to serve aboard the INS Vikramaditya, formerly the Russian carrier Admiral Gorshkov, which could enter service at the end of 2012, or the INS Viraat, a former UK Royal Navy carrier expected to serve until 2020.
"This is the first time India is developing a naval aircraft, so it will be challenging," the official said.
The naval version of the Tejas has a number of modifications from the baseline aircraft. It has longer and strengthened landing gear, an arrester hook to enable landing on an aircraft carrier and additional control surfaces, and a leading edge vortex controller to reduce the fighter's required speed on approach to the vessel. Its front fuselage has also been changed to provide the pilot with better visibility over the nose.
I hope it wont be delayed like LCA tejas..

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
I Think they too required that procedures of IOC 1 & 2 and FOC
I know that SajeevJino.
What my point of query was for further testing when will it be moved to Goa.... For the ramp structure...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
It same for all modern Aircraft let it be Rafale or EF-2000, Besides this is a NP

akshay m

Here, unlike the K series, they have put a composite in place of glass in the rear portion of canopy.

its the rear view visibility that i am worried about,
perhaps they will replace the composite with glass in np 3

this is the rearview visibilty of the mig 29k

and this the rearview visibilty of lsp 8

both mig 29k and tejas air force version seems to have good rearward visibilty

so i do think that composite part will be an obstacle for for rearward vision on the naval LCA ,if they continue with the composite part of the canopy.

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
its the rear view visibility that i am worried about,
perhaps they will replace the composite with glass in np 3

this is the rearview visibilty of the mig 29k

and this the rearview visibilty of lsp 8

both mig 29k and tejas air force version seems to have good rearward visibilty

so i do think that composite part will be an obstacle for for rearward vision on the naval LCA ,if they continue with the composite part of the canopy.
I don't think the pilot looks into the 4th quadrant ( rear quadrant) the way we are seeing in the picture, as he uses two rear view mirror.

Although the logic behind putting composite in place of glass in the rear side of canopy is not known to me, I don't think the visibility factor would have been overlooked.

LCA Navy Mk-2 Single seat-er ( NP-4, NP-5) might even go the LCA- Air Force way. I can't say till official pics are out.

ladder

Country flag
Navy wants a new name for their N-LCA. How about members contribute name/s. Let's see who gets the closest.

sgarg

LCA Navy NP2 is a great milestone. I would be very happy to see Navy Tejas squadron form alongside IAF. Tejas is a great plane to boost air defence in coastal areas.

akshay m

this is interesting ,
old @p2prada says there will be three mk1 naval prototype and two mk2's

Last edited by a moderator:

Articles