NASA praises ISRO, offers training for Indian astronauts

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Dublin: The world's largest space agency National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) now seeks to partner with the Indian Space Research Organisation for future space endeavours and has offered that India could use its top class facilities of the astronaut training program of the Indian astronauts. The offer has come at a time when Indian origin Astronaut Sunita Williams gears up to head for her latest rendezvous with the International Space Station.

This bold, forward looking and friendly announcement was made by the top man at NASA, Charles F Bolden, when speaking at Europe's largest science meeting the Euro Science Open Forum being held in Dublin, Ireland where over 4000 scientists are participating.

On being asked by NDTV, Bolden replied, 'We are encouraged by India's space program, which is oriented towards meeting India's needs of Earth observation, adding that 'India also hopes to have a human space program soon.'

Taking it further he said, the American's have the best training facilities for an astronaut program at the Kennedy Space Centre and emphasized that he was keen to make these available to Indians for training its astronauts.

This is important as India is already in the throes of planning to launch its astronauts largely in an effort to catch up with China which has had an astronaut program for more than a decade.

The Indian Space Research Organization has already submitted a proposal to the government for launching human space program that would cost Rs. 12,500 crores. Its chairman Dr K Radhakrishnan told NDTV, ISRO can undertake putting first ever Indians into space from Indian soil using Indian rockets in less than 7 years after the government gives them a go ahead to launch the program. Already the government has allocated about Rs. 200 crores for the making of the detailed plan and understanding the technologies that might be needed to undertake this mammoth exercise.

ISRO has already planned to have a third launch complex at its space port Sriharikota that will cater mainly to the human space flights. India's larger rocket the Geo-synchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mark III (GSLV Mk III) is the preferred rocket for this mission and it is already under advanced stages of development with a first flight planned within a year.

If it happens, India will become the fourth nation in the world to have indigenous capabilities to put humans in space, after Russia, US and China.

Experts say now that the technology denial regime has been lifted from ISRO and the sanctions are a thing of the past it may well be in the interest of both India and US to launch joint space program as international collaboration is the best forward as Bolden says 'a win-win for everybody'.

NASA praises ISRO, offers training for Indian astronauts | NDTV.com

pmaitra

US is ahead of Russia in space. Russia does not view India with the same cold war mindset anymore.
LF, I will have to disagree here.

While it is true that US has a technological edge over Russia, when it comes to getting the job done, Russia still is the only reliable way for human space travel. The US has achieved far greater success in unmanned interplanetary missions compared to Russia.

In the context of this thread, which talks about astronautics, i.e. manned space flights, there is nothing the US can offer that Russia cannot. I think I will agree with Ant80.

Country flag
LF, I will have to disagree here.

While it is true that US has a technological edge over Russia, when it comes to getting the job done, Russia still is the only reliable way for human space travel. The US has achieved far greater success in unmanned interplanetary mission compared to Russia.

In the context of this thread, which talks about astronautics, i.e. manned space flights, there is nothing the US can offer than Russia cannot. I think I will agree with Ant80.
I agree Russians have more man hours in space but US has a technological edge which
if shared or collaborated would be more beneficial?

e.g

Ion engine could one day power 39-day trips to Mars - space - 22 July 2009 - New Scientist

Ion engine could one day power 39-day trips to Mars

pmaitra

^^

Thanks for sharing. This is a very interesting development. When this research matures, we can think of manned missions to planets beyond the moon.

Fantastic find!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
lets keep our options open and see what Russians have to offer, may be tender processes.... Lol. We will see what others are doing and what best to adopt.

sob

Mod
Country flag
We should be open to any technological help from the US or from Russia.

IMO US could also be looking at India as an alternate to the Russians for sending Astronauts in space.

pmaitra

^^

Now that would be a coup for ISRO.

Hope it happens sometime.

India may not be the pioneer in space travel, but is very good at optimization, and cost reduction, without sacrificing quality.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Nobody could predict that NASA would run out of launch vehicles and similarly nobody could predict that with the frugal processes followed By India, we could end up as a reliable low cost launcher of satellites. Even the Chandrayan mission was done at a fraction of the cost of what NASA would have done.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think in America there's a shift in space-launching paradigm from government (NASA) to private like Space X, Orbital Sciences, etc. America is set to commercialize space through private companies.

lcatejas

What ever .. but its a good move and good opportunity for ISRO :thumb:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles