Muslims should not vote on the basis of religion, say Deobandi fatwa

ahmedsid

Top Gun

A prominent Islamic body has issued a decree asking Muslims to exercise their franchise but said one should not vote for a party or leader just on the basis of religion. "The vote should not be kept back," leading Islamic seminary Darul Uloom Deoband said in a fatwa in response to a question whether Muslims should vote in the elections.

"One should vote for the party and the leader that is better and works in favour of Muslims and the country," the fatwa said, adding "India is a democratic and secular country. Hence it is out of place to look at its politics in Islamic perspective and test the parties and political leaders on Islamic principles." Deoband seminary's Darul Ifta, which issues fatwa or religious decrees on different issues, declined to favour any particualar party or candidate and left it to the people to decide whom to vote.

"The status of vote is as testimony and witness; so it is the responsibility of every Muslim to utilise it as much as possible correctly," the fatwa said. Echoing similar views, Jamiat Ulema-e Hind spokesman Maulana Abdul Hameed Nomani said "Everyone, who has a voting right, must come out to vote."

http://www.rediff.com/news/2009/mar/08muslims-should-not-vote-on-religious-basis-deband-fatwa.htm

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009

A prominent Islamic body has issued a decree asking Muslims to exercise their franchise but said one should not vote for a party or leader just on the basis of religion. "The vote should not be kept back," leading Islamic seminary Darul Uloom Deoband said in a fatwa in response to a question whether Muslims should vote in the elections.

"One should vote for the party and the leader that is better and works in favour of Muslims and the country," the fatwa said, adding "India is a democratic and secular country. Hence it is out of place to look at its politics in Islamic perspective and test the parties and political leaders on Islamic principles." Deoband seminary's Darul Ifta, which issues fatwa or religious decrees on different issues, declined to favour any particualar party or candidate and left it to the people to decide whom to vote.

"The status of vote is as testimony and witness; so it is the responsibility of every Muslim to utilise it as much as possible correctly," the fatwa said. Echoing similar views, Jamiat Ulema-e Hind spokesman Maulana Abdul Hameed Nomani said "Everyone, who has a voting right, must come out to vote."

http://www.rediff.com/news/2009/mar/08muslims-should-not-vote-on-religious-basis-deband-fatwa.htm
A good show by the Deoband and the seminaries (I hope thats what they're called). They'd also come out openly against terrorism and issued a Fatwa against it... This is another great gesture...

But, how many people actually listen to these Fatwas by the seminaries?? For example, if a Muslim felt that the BJP is good for the country, would he still vote for it given that Muslims generally tend to have a mistrust for the socalled Hindutva forces???

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Let me tell you one thing, Bad news travels faster than a Good News. The fatwa to Kill Salman Rushdie became the stuff of legends because it was sensational, while the Fatwa against terrorism or to come and vote is not sensational. if the Fatwa was to "Dont Vote" then it would have gained coverage and proponents.

Muslims Distrust the BJP, rightly so, But I for one know many Muslims who dont hate it. I feel the BJP did an awesome job of governing the country in their last term, but they are Hypocrites. Congress too is hypocritical, but atleast they dont keep giving out as much false promises like the BJP. For eg: If I were an ardent Hindutva proponent, I would never vote for the BJP because they never built the Ram Temple! They keep postponing it, while the fact is that, they would never want to see a Ram Temple in Ayodhya, because then, their game will be over.

EnlightenedMonk

Let me tell you one thing, Bad news travels faster than a Good News. The fatwa to Kill Salman Rushdie became the stuff of legends because it was sensational, while the Fatwa against terrorism or to come and vote is not sensational. if the Fatwa was to "Dont Vote" then it would have gained coverage and proponents.

Muslims Distrust the BJP, rightly so, But I for one know many Muslims who dont hate it. I feel the BJP did an awesome job of governing the country in their last term, but they are Hypocrites. Congress too is hypocritical, but atleast they dont keep giving out as much false promises like the BJP. For eg: If I were an ardent Hindutva proponent, I would never vote for the BJP because they never built the Ram Temple! They keep postponing it, while the fact is that, they would never want to see a Ram Temple in Ayodhya, because then, their game will be over.
I too believe the BJP did an awesome job of governance, but then in politics who're not hypocrites?? In politics hypocrisy is the name of the game...

Look, as far as the urban areas are concerned, I think the BJP did a very good job, but they lost due to the neglect of the rural areas.... India was truly shining, but only in the cities, the effects never trickled down to the masses and that's what ultimately screwed them...

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Yes u r correct, this time the COngress has some good things up its sleeve like the Rural employment gurantee scheme etc which can help it immensely.

EnlightenedMonk

Yes u r correct, this time the COngress has some good things up its sleeve like the Rural employment gurantee scheme etc which can help it immensely.
I do want the BJP to win this time around, but I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that its going to be the Congress again.

Not because they've done a good job or anything, but because the BJP is not in the poll-preparedness level that it was when Mahajan was leading it into the elections.

The Congress hasn't done anything exceptional, in fact, they've at times done some very stupid things, but they're still going to continue in power.... because, no trustworthy or credible opposition this time around....

The third front are a bunch of loonies, so not anybody who's serious will ever vote for them....

EnlightenedMonk

Yep, the Rural employement guarantee scheme has won accolades even from the UN. But, they've also invested in duds like the mid-day-meal thing. It seems to have tanked. They don't even want to tallk about it now...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles