Musharraf decides to seek political asylum in UK

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Musharraf decides to seek political asylum in UK

Islamabad: The fiormer President Pervez Musharraf will apply to the British government for political asylum after the unveiling of the UN commission report on Benazir Bhutto's assassination.

The ex-military strongman is understood to have decided to stay permanently in the United Kingdom. Friends close to Musharraf told Express from London that the retired general has handed over the affairs of his newly formed All Pakistan Muslim League to his spokesman Rashid Qureshi and Barrister Saif. He is consulting close friends and investors about selling his assets in Pakistan.

Musharraf went into a huddle with friends after the publication of the UN report and decided to shun the idea of returning to Pakistan. As the UN commission holds the Musharraf government directly responsible for the tragic incident, his aides are reported to have alerted him to the possibility of an FIR being registered against him and other potential risks.

Musharraf decided to apply for political asylum in the UK. The sources said that Musharraf has also contacted his friends in Pakistan and held detailed discussions to sell his business and assets in Pakistan. The sources asserted that he was advised to sell off all his local assets. Musharraf said the UN report was baseless and depended on allegations.

Pakistani media tried to contact the former president after the UN report but he declined to give any reaction. His spokesman Barrister Saif claimed while talking to Express that Musharraf did not care about the report and he would start his visit to the US in a couple of days. He said the former president will not issue any formal statement in this respect. He said he will not offer any comments on any other issue, either.

Press Trust of India quoted the ex-president as saying there was nothing new in the UN report, and that there was one final bullet left in his personal pistol, which he would definitely use for his (final) defense.

PTI sources said that while talking to the PTI (Insaf Group) head, Farooq Malik in Abu Dhabi, Musharraf reminded that even he had been a victim of suicide bombing, which was difficult to contain at certain levels. Similarly despite being provided best security, Benazir Bhutto couldn't be saved. The former President labeled Imran Khan as a "political goof", who was not capable of winning more than one seat.

He scoffed at elements stressing a case against him, saying that these elements were actually scared of him, and should not forget that like all soldiers, he rather preferred martyrdom to giving up. Referring to the 18th amendment, the former President said that PML-N had chiefly benefited from it.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Final bullet in my pistol for my final defence: Musharraf

ABU DHABI (Online)-Former President Pervez Musharraf, while brushing aside UN report as nothing new, has said that there was one final bullet left in his personal pistol, which he would definitely use for his defence.
Talking to the PTI (Insaf Group) head Farooq Malik in Abu Dhabi, Musharraf reminded that even he had been a target of suicide bombers.
Despite being provided best security, Benazir Bhutto could not be saved.
He labelled Imran Khan as a 'political goof', who according to the reports of Pakistani agencies would win barely not more than one seat. He scoffed at elements stressing a case against him, saying that these elements were actually scared of him, and should not forget that like all soldiers, he rather preferred martyrdom to giving up. Referring to the 18th Amendment, he said that PML-N had mainly bene-fitted from it, while he said that during his regime, there was a dearth of prudent, capable politicians, while he possessed all the powers.
He also extended an invitation to PTI head to visit London, which Farooq Malik accepted.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I hope UK rejects his petition. There are far more real cases of political persecution who fear for their lives than Musharraf's paranoid delusions. People wanted him dead when he was running the country, no one cares now.

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
I think he will settle in UK, this is sad that heads of state in Pakistan have to so often stay abroad.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
This is a strange country, with strange people heading it, with stranger politics played by all the vested interests.

Jinnah, 1948, the person credited with Pakistan's independence suffered from tuberculosis had to wait at his residence for no ambulance would turn up, when one did it broke down on the highway on way to hospital, with no passing by vehicle ready to stop. He died there on the highway on his sister's lap with flies all over.

Liaquat Ali Khan, 1951, the first PM (47-51), died a violent death, was shot at twice, suspect killed on the spot, but no one for sure knows why this assassination happened, certainly not the public at large who as usual are fed conspiracy theories.

1951, the first coup attempted but a failed attempt.

Huseyn Shaheed Suhrawardy, fifth PM (56-57), in 1963 suspected to be have been poisoned though officially claimed to have died of a heart attack.

Ayub Khan, first dictator did the first successful coup (58-69), credited by Pakistani state propaganda machine to have won the war against India in 1965, but a war that ended in a stalemate where India had occupied double the Pakistani land than what pak army had done on Indian side. When he started to loose the grip on the then east Pakistan, yahya khan was brought in.

Yahya Khan , the second dictator (69-71), just could not do away with the ills committed by Ayub Khan and when he tried, it was just too late, too little and too violent which left 3,000,000 killed in east Pakistan, now Bangladesh, and this resulted in Pakistan's defeat in 1971, officially first ever accepted defeat by Pakistan and this led to creation of a new country and person discredited is Yahya, though the faults lie else where.

Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, ninth PM (73-77), 1979 sentenced to death by the third dictator zia-ul-haq, hanged to death.

M. Zia-ul-Haq, third dictator (77-88), in 1988 died in a plane crash, supposedly a sabotage, conspiracy theories fly thick and fast till date, and no one for sure knows what really transpired.

Benazir Bhutto, elected as PM twice (88-90, and 93-96), assassinated in 2007. musharraf government blamed for providing inadequate security, along with her party and it runs much deeper because not once did the state intelligence agencies cooperate in investigations as to what led to her death on the contrary they are blamed for cleaning away all the evidence.

She was thrown out of the country by nawaz sharif in late 90s under the guise of corruption cases labeled against her. Once musharraf had claimed that if she were to return, she would end up in the jail, none of that happened under pressure from the US, was away from the country for 9-10 years.

Nawaz Sharif, only PM who has ruled Pakistan thrice (90-april, 93, then a very small stint from 26 may, 93-18 july, 93, and then 97-99), colluded with the isi on more than one occasions to over throw benazir Bhutto government, eventually kicking her out of the country, only to patch up with her in 2007 to form a larger democratic alliance against the dictatorship of musharraf, but benazir was seen as backstabbing at the behest of the US who wanted her to patch up with musharraf to form the next government.

Musharraf did a coup on his government, tried him was certain to be hanged had the KSA not intervened, was kicked out of the country and was out for 8 odd years, musharraf claimed he will turn him away if nawaz was to return to Pakistan, did it once but next time the KSA had tamed musharraf which made sure nawaz could return to pursue his political career.

Pervez Musharraf, the fourth dictator (99-08), and then as president under a democratic set up 08-09), now shown the exit doors and has been out of the country for over one year now, his claim of "Pakistan first" has no takers since he first backstabbed the country with NRO, then ran away from pakistan in a deal brokered by the US, and is now seeking political asylum in UK.

Asif Ali Zardari, current president and better known as Mr 10% referring to the cut he used to take for every deal he used to do when benazir was the PM. Has spent a decent chunk of life in jail on corruption and murder charges under both nawaz sharif and musharraf rule.

He might meet any of the fates that the rest have met and it more a case of when.

The story continues and this is not the last, there are many more actors to perform their roles.

A sad state of affairs, with strange people at helm, and with stranger policies followed, a country called Pakistan!

Last edited:

Akash

thakur, the Jinnah story seems quite amusing. But I dont think thats how he died - on the road with flies all over the place.. Where did you get the info that says he died on the road in an ambulance with flies? seems suspect to me

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
that is not a made up story, but is there in the book by Ms Fatima Jinnah, in her book, "my brother". now i need to search that for you online, let me see where i can get it for you from.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
thakur, the Jinnah story seems quite amusing. But I dont think thats how he died - on the road with flies all over the place.. Where did you get the info that says he died on the road in an ambulance with flies? seems suspect to me

The Day Mr Jinnah Died

On the eve of Pakistan's first Independence Day anniversary (August 14th, 1948), Mr Mohammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan, weighed only eighty pounds. He was seriously ill and was being looked after by his devoted sister Fatima and a team of doctors - not in Karachi, Pakistan's then capital where Mr Jinnah had his official residence, but in Quetta in Baluchistan.

Lying in bed quiet all day, Mr Jinnah was surviving on a few cups of tea, coffee and plain water to swallow his pills. Both his lungs had been consumed by tuberculosis and lung cancer. When the doctor examined his pulse, he found that every tenth or fifteenth beat was missing. Mr Jinnah who was used to smoke an average of fifty Craven A cigarette daily was asked to reduce the intake to just one.

When doctors suggested him to move to Karachi, Mr Jinnah desired otherwise. He did not want his Karachi staff to see him being taken around in a stretcher. "Don't take me to Karachi on crutches," Mr Jinnah said. "I want to go there when I can walk from the car to the room. You know, from the porch you have to pass the A.D.C's room and then the Military Secretary's before you reach mine. I dislike being carried on a stretcher from the car to my room."

By September, Mr Jinnah needed a oxygen mask to breathe. He also caught pneumonia. He had to be flown to Karachi.

At 2pm on September 11th, a Viking plane took off from Quetta carrying a feeble Mr Jinnah to the nation's Capital. A bed had been made up in the front cabin and oxygen cylinders and gas masks were kept at hand. The plane landed after about two hours at the Air Force base at Mauripur. This was the same place where Mr Jinnah had arrived from New Delhi about a year ago to take over the reins of the new Pakistan. There were thousands who had come to greet him then. But on September 11, there was no one at the airport.

Mr Jinnah was carried into an army ambulance which then sped south of the highway towards Karachi. After about four or five miles, the ambulance came to a stop. There was a breakdown due to some engine trouble. It could not start. The afternoon was humid, the September heat was oppressive and flies buzzed around Mr Jinnah's face. He had no strength left to brush them off though his sister Fatima helped by fanning him. Meanwhile Mr Jinnah's pulse started becoming weaker and irregular even as hundreds of cars, trucks and buses rumbled by. The highway was lined with huts belonging to refugees who had come from India. They had no idea that their Qaid-e-Azam lay dying right there on the road.

One hour passed this way.

Finally another ambulance came and Mr Jinnah reached the governor-general's mansion at 6.10 pm. Four hours and ten minutes later he was dead. The last word he uttered was to his sister Fatima – 'Fati'.

Mr Jinnah's remains, weighing seventy pounds, were buried the next day, covered in a simple shroud.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles