Mumbai police bans photographs of Durga idol immersions over law and order concerns

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Do you really expect people to reply to your non-sense!
Using the judicial system to accost a group viewed negatively by a majority of the people is hardly nonsense. It is a very, very powerful effector for a society. For all of those who support such policies (and many of you here do) this should be a cause for celebration.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Nopes there is more, does US become Banana Republic when it sends the uniformed Policemen on "leave" for shooting dead black kids and wheelchair-bound black men?
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Using the judicial system to accost a group viewed negatively by a majority of the people is hardly nonsense. It is a very, very powerful effector for a society. For all of those who support such policies (and many of you here do) this should be a cause for celebration.
People do not celebrate stupidity here. Btw, where was judiciary involved in this issue!!

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Your brain-farts also have nothing to do with this topic. Does police arresting a small kid for assembling a clock sounds very inclusive for the United States of Banana Republic!!

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
People do not celebrate stupidity here.Btw, where was judiciary involved in this issue!!
Of course they do; it's only a matter of which act of stupidity sits well with you. All of these bans reflect majoritarianism ethic within the law enforcement structure, political parties and their public supporters. Bans cannot be enforced by agents of the law without legal precedence.

Your brain-farts also have nothing to do with this topic. Does police arresting a small kid for assembling a clock sounds very inclusive for the United States of Banana Republic!!
Excellent. Yet another ad-homenim attack coupled with out of scope "arguments".

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Of course they do; it's only a matter of which act of stupidity sits well with you. All of these bans reflect majoritarianism ethic within the law enforcement structure, political parties and their public supporters. Bans cannot be enforced by agents of the law without legal precedence.

Excellent. Yet another ad-homenim attack coupled with out of scope "arguments".
There are bans in the reverse direction as well. But it would be too much for you to comprehend because you take all that your media reports on face value.

pmaitra

Banana Republic

Banana republic is a political science term for a politically unstable country, whose economy is largely dependent on exporting a limited-resource product, e.g. bananas. It typically has stratified social classes, including a large, impoverished working class and a ruling plutocracy of business, political, and military elites.[1] This politico-economic oligarchy controls the primary-sector productions to exploit the country's economy.
My comments about India in this context:
  • India's product is not limited to bananas, or items similar to bananas.
  • There is impoverishment, but there is also upward mobility and reduction of poverty level.
  • India is far from plutocratic.
  • India is not a politico-economic oligopoly.
My conclusion is that India is not a Banana Republic.

In defence of @Sakal Gharelu Ustad, India is not a Banana Republic.
In defence of @Energon, I assume he was using it as a hyperbole, which we all do from time to time.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Banana Republic

My comments about India in this context:
  • India's product is not limited to bananas, or items similar to bananas.
  • There is impoverishment, but there is also upward mobility and reduction of poverty level.
  • India is far from plutocratic.
  • India is not a politico-economic oligopoly.
My conclusion is that India is not a Banana Republic.

In defence of @Sakal Gharelu Ustad, India is not a Banana Republic.
In defence of @Energon, I assume he was using it as a hyperbole, which we all do from time to time.
I think the intended context of the phrase "banana republic" is in reference to the broader implication of gross dysfunction and lack of credibility as a nation.

Just to reiterate what I said in post #14, I don't think India is a banana republic. My assertion however is that if asinine laws and ordinances are used as a tool to exploit emotional sentimentality and commence violence upon certain sections of the population, India will lose it's credibility as a democratic nation (and rightfully so).

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
However a majority of Muslim adults in Bombay carry mobile phones. It is so much easier to just point to a muslim person and say oh he was taking pictures of a half submerged Durga statue and then beat him up.
That kind of thinking is called "insecurity complex" commonly found among Muslims. Conspiracy theories are created to support and maintain such "complex" so that "secularism" can be invoked for vote bank politics and anti-non-Muslim acts can be perpetrated against the majority for political gains.

Isn't my reply reflecting the same idiocy you reflected in your above-quoted post ?

A chauhan

Country flag
No, your post reflects the fact that you did not get the philosophical basis of my position.
I didn't replay to your "philosophical part" or first para but to second para. First para seems ok since the ban was only for half-submerged idols.

However, if you wrote the philosophical part as a basis of your second para then it is equally absurd.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
I didn't replay to your "philosophical part" or first para but to second para. First para seems ok since the ban was only for half-submerged idols.

However, if you wrote the philosophical part as a basis of your second para then it is equally absurd.
This response is based on you having seen the word "philosophical" in my post, not actually comprehending the reference to majoritarian violence or realizing that the second para is a reflection of it.

A chauhan

Country flag

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
No, this thread is a parodied reflection of your philosophy; which as usual is without any substance or thought.
So we should rather believe your intellectual masturbation that since photography is banned now and some muslims will definitely take pictures to vilify and make fun of Hindu culture, it will lead to justifiable riots by Hindus.

How does banning effect anything here? If such pictures were sacrilegious, ban or no ban has the same potential to incite riots. Given penetration of mobiles, police has no control over spread of such messages. Your whole theory is nothing but just another pile of stupidity.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
How does banning effect anything here? If such pictures were sacrilegious, ban or no ban has the same potential to incite riots. Given penetration of mobiles, police has no control over spread of such messages. Your whole theory is nothing but just another pile of stupidity.
In a city like Bombay where bodies of water serve as public bathrooms, reservoirs and sites or immersion for religious deities, the very concept of banning pictures of only certain debris on account of "religious sentiment" is asinine. It is nothing more than a ploy to satisfy majoritarian insecurity. The problem with such ad hoc bans or permanent laws is that they become an excellent tool to incite violence against a hated minority. This phenomenon has been played out to its logical conclusion all over the world and every time the result is the same. It is patently silly to indulge in this nonsense.

A chauhan

Country flag
No, this thread is a parodied reflection of your philosophy; which as usual is without any substance or thought.
To tell you the truth the second para of your "philosophical post" reflected complete absurdness and "minority-insecurity-complex" or better I would say "Muslim-insecurity-complex".

But this time I hit the weak nerve I guess :rolleyes:

It is nothing more than a ploy to satisfy majoritarian insecurity. The problem with such ad hoc bans or permanent laws is that they become an excellent tool to incite violence against a hated minority. This phenomenon has been played out to its logical conclusion all over the world and every time the result is the same. It is patently silly to indulge in this nonsense.
Majoritarian insecurity ! :lol: yes, thanks for accepting, in India Hindu majority is insecure. In Veerbhoom Durga idol immersions were banned since Muharram followed on that date, what is your view on that ?

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
To tell you the truth the second para of your "philosophical post" reflected complete absurdness and "minority-insecurity-complex" or better I would say "Muslim-insecurity-complex".

But this time I hit the weak nerve I guess :rolleyes:
This makes no sense. What weak nerve are you referring to?

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
In a city like Bombay where bodies of water serve as public bathrooms, reservoirs and sites or immersion for religious deities, the very concept of banning pictures of only certain debris on account of "religious sentiment" is asinine. It is nothing more than a ploy to satisfy majoritarian insecurity. The problem with such ad hoc bans or permanent laws is that they become an excellent tool to incite violence against a hated minority. This phenomenon has been played out to its logical conclusion all over the world and every time the result is the same. It is patently silly to indulge in this nonsense.
It has nothing to do with majoritarian violent streak but inefficiency and high handedness of police force. But you are free to interpret whatever you want.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles