Muhammad Ali, boxing legend and cultural icon, dies

Zebra

Country flag
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/muhamma...con-dies/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=25208292

Muhammad Ali, boxing legend and cultural icon, dies

CBS News June 4, 2016, 12:35 AM
Last Updated Jun 4, 2016 1:06 AM EDT

Muhammad Ali, a three-time world heavyweight boxing champion who became a cultural icon, died at age 74 after a a brief hospitalization, a spokesman confirmed early Saturday.

"Muhammad Ali's funeral will take place in his hometown of Louisville, KY," spokesman Bob Gunnell said in a statement. "The Ali family would like to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, and support and asks for privacy at this time."............................

Zebra

Country flag
...........................................................................................................

pmaitra

He is a legend. He will be remembered as a timeless champion.

RIP.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
RIP.

But I personally think he was overrated. No doubt a good fighter, but overrated.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
KOCHI: Unbelievable! Shocking! Embarrassing! A stunned Kerala, even beyond the shores of the Arabian Sea, reacted on those lines to Sports Minister E P Jayarajan's statement, terming Muhammad Ali as the son of 'God's Own Country.'

If Ali was a colossal sporting personality, even more colossal, perhaps, was the blunder that burst out of Jayarajan's mouth on Saturday while speaking to a television channel that sought his response to the death of Ali.

Photo Courtesy: Facebook via E P Jayarajan
"I just came to know of the news that Muhammad Ali died in America. He was an eminent personality in the sports field of Kerala. He won gold medal and was able to raise Kerala’s fame sky-high globally," said Jayarajan in all earnestness.
While those listening to the news broadcast rubbed their eyes and ears in disbelief, others who came to know about the gaffe hit the search buttons on their computers to verify the statement - viral on the virtual world by then.

Others called up the particular media group to ensure that the video was real. Such was the disbelief created by the Sports Minister of a state that prides itself for its sporting passion.

The sporting fraternity, while expressing angst at both Ali's death and the minister's horror moment, rolled over in sarcasm at the development."It is shocking to hear that our Sports Minister does not know about someone as famous as Muhammad Ali. It is also a sad reflection of the state of affairs of sports in the state," said an Olympian, who did not want to be named.Everyone could not be expected to know of a certain former Olympic and world boxing champion.

But a senior functionary of a political party that swears by the rights of the common man failing to recognise a civil rights activist who championed the coloured people's fight for dignity is beyond comprehension.

"It is embarrassing to note that our Sports Minister makes such comments. Particularly, given that Muhammad Ali was much more than just a boxing champion. It would be better if Kerala had a person more knowledgeable about sports as minister," said a top administrator.

Meanwhile, sources close to Jayarajan said it was an inadvertent error by the minister who was focused on other important matters when the particular channel rang him up.But the public in Kerala is certainly not buying that clarification if the trolls and comments in the social media are any indication.

sasum

RIP.

But I personally think he was overrated. No doubt a good fighter, but overrated.
Ali was the most handsome black ever born. His daughter, Laila Ali, also a professional boxer had the looks of a ramp model but chose this bloody sport and disfigured her pretty face.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Ali was the most handsome black ever born. His daughter, Laila Ali, also a professional boxer had the looks of a ramp model but chose this bloody sport and disfigured her pretty face.
Huh? Who said that? Actually in terms of perfect dimensions of facial features, denzel Washington is.

Also, check this out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
RIP a true legend and the greatest boxer ever.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
RIP.

We should not consider his political/social views while judging his boxing prowess.

As for Jews they too have evil individuals among them. (East India Company,ownership of brothels in British cantonments in India and world over.) Google this.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
"I just came to know of the news that Muhammad Ali died in America. He was an eminent personality in the sports field of Kerala. He won gold medal and was able to raise Kerala’s fame sky-high globally," said Jayarajan in all earnestness.
An interesting comment which may explain the controversy.

WinChu | 1 day ago
Permalink | Share | Report Abuse | Like (1) | Unlike (1)
@Jeswin: Dears, It's a mistake. He actually taught Mohammed Sali- Olympian (Football) from Kerala, and Gold medalist (1st Delhi ASIAD).

And again it's just after the news comes about Boxer-Mohammed Ali dies, and he was on traveling while he receive call from tv reporter.

We Keralite accept his mistake, and proud of his memory about Mohammed Sali (Kottayam Sali) the first Olympian- footballer from kerala.

http://www.ndtv.com/kerala-news/min...minent-sports-personality-from-kerala-1415525

Kshatriya87

Country flag
We should not consider his political/social views while judging his boxing prowess.

As for Jews they too have evil individuals among them. (East India Company,ownership of brothels in British cantonments in India and world over.) Google this.
Is it right then to generalise all Jews? Is it right to blame all black problems on whites? So all blacks are innocent?

He wasn't perfect. Neither were his boxing skills. I repeat, he was overrated.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
R.I.P. to him.
:pray::pray:
BTW, I've been facing pakis who think that Ali was a pakistani fighter. :lol:
Probably, they think they have copyrights on Muslims. :p

sasum

An interesting comment which may explain the controversy.

WinChu | 1 day ago
Permalink | Share | Report Abuse | Like (1) | Unlike (1)
@Jeswin: Dears, It's a mistake. He actually taught Mohammed Sali- Olympian (Football) from Kerala, and Gold medalist (1st Delhi ASIAD).

And again it's just after the news comes about Boxer-Mohammed Ali dies, and he was on traveling while he receive call from tv reporter.

We Keralite accept his mistake, and proud of his memory about Mohammed Sali (Kottayam Sali) the first Olympian- footballer from kerala.

http://www.ndtv.com/kerala-news/min...minent-sports-personality-from-kerala-1415525
A very convenient excuse. I can point out Mohd. Sali is a Malayasian footballer of international fame.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles