MS Windows vs Android

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Ladies and Gentlemen - i seek your informed opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of these two systems. The laptop computer i bought a few years ago and which is still functioning without problems is based on MS windows XP OS . Recently i bought a tablet also based on MS windows 8.1 OS basically so that i could share files between the two devices with a minimal of problems or hopefully none at all .

However with the great proliferation of tablets based on Android, i am beginning to wonder if i have missed something somewhere by loyally sticking to MS Windows . I am aware that android offers a lot more applications but i felt that these are done by any tom and harry and so there is the question of quality and security but for ms windows these concerns would have been in better hands even if not totally infallible plus updates would be available in case of security breaches.

Another reason is that the smallest ms windows based tablet available is approx 8 inches in diagonal whereas android produces tons of 7 inch tablets and these are lighter and more convenient to carry and find casing as well ( i am having a tough job getting a cover for my 8 in tab ) . The exception being the Toshiba 7 in tablet which has ms win OS., but the pixel resolution is such that the handwriting recognition facility was not good.

My main use of both tablet and laptop are for communicative purposes eg email, skype and also downloading mp3 material and youtube and listening to the downloads in multiple speed format to save time . In terms of processing i use only the microsoft text document ( not even excel nor powerpoint ) and greatly appreciate the handwriting recognition facility in win 8.1 and it works remarkably well for e .I don not use more than these applications as i also want to live in the real world as well

Are any of you in the know whether windows OS is gonna go for 7 inch tablet format ? with better quality pixel screen
And i repeat , please discuss the pros and cons of both android and ms windows systems .
Most grateful for your discussion and thanks in advance .

Last edited:

anupamsurey

Country flag
Ladies and Gentlemen - i seek your informed opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of these two systems. The laptop computer i bought a few years ago and which is still functioning without problems is based on MS windows XP OS . Recently i bought a tablet also based on MS windows 8.1 OS basically so that i could share files between the two devices with a minimal of problems or hopefully none at all .

However with the great proliferation of tablets based on Android, i am beginning to wonder if i have missed something somewhere by loyally sticking to MS Windows . I am aware that android offers a lot more applications but i felt that these are done by any tom and harry and so there is the question of quality and security but for ms windows these concerns would have been in better hands even if not totally infallible plus updates would be available in case of security breaches.

Another reason is that the smallest ms windows based tablet available is approx 8 inches in diagonal whereas android produces tons of 7 inch tablets and these are lighter and more convenient to carry and find casing as well ( i am having a tough job getting a cover for my 8 in tab ) . The exception being the Toshiba 7 in tablet which has ms win OS., but the pixel resolution is such that the handwriting recognition facility was not good.

My main use of both tablet and laptop are for communicative purposes eg email, skype and also downloading mp3 material and youtube and listening to the downloads in multiple speed format to save time . In terms of processing i use only the microsoft text document ( not even excel nor powerpoint ) and greatly appreciate the handwriting recognition facility in win 8.1 and it works remarkably well for e .I don not use more than these applications as i also want to live in the real world as well

Are any of you in the know whether windows OS is gonna go for 7 inch tablet format ? with better quality pixel screen
And i repeat , please discuss the pros and cons of both android and ms windows systems .
Most grateful for your discussion and thanks in advance .
Don't ponder over such petty things. you can use what ever you like, after two years of using Windows and android platform i can say that it doesn't matter much.

i have a laptop which runs with Windows 7 ultimate, a android phablet (note 3), and a tablet from acer (runs on win 8.1). and i use all of them on daily basis , and find no difficulty in adjusting to one from another. though i have special apps in my android device to comply with windows.

it is right that android is easier to use,and it is flexible.. but i don't know why but i stick to windows when creating files for my office work. so far the only potential i see in android is to pass my time. somehow it feels right to use windows than android for office work.

otherwise windows or android, i want my work done.

additionally, in my opinion android are attractive only when they are coupled with the Samsung phones. otherwise they look quite ordinary in other devices, where as windows OS can pull it off anywhere.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Don't ponder over such petty things. you can use what ever you like, after two years of using Windows and android platform i can say that it doesn't matter much.

i have a laptop which runs with Windows 7 ultimate, a android phablet (note 3), and a tablet from acer (runs on win 8.1). and i use all of them on daily basis , and find no difficulty in adjusting to one from another. though i have special apps in my android device to comply with windows.

it is right that android is easier to use,and it is flexible.. but i don't know why but i stick to windows when creating files for my office work. so far the only potential i see in android is to pass my time. somehow it feels right to use windows than android for office work.

otherwise windows or android, i want my work done.

additionally, in my opinion android are attractive only when they are coupled with the Samsung phones. otherwise they look quite ordinary in other devices, where as windows OS can pull it off anywhere.
many thanks for your reply ....i appreciate the details ( :thumb: :namaste: )
as it kinda confirms the feeling that i had
when making the purchase - that some how ( perhaps as we already had started with MS on the desktop
computers ) for work and organization, the MS seemed more logical and there was no med for me to abandon
a systems that served well for something new .and to me , unknown

secondly by reading all the adverts and info available, it seemed pretty much that android was more for
after -work activities whereas MS could do both.

thirdly although android i was told has loads more applications, many of these , i felt were potentially
security risks whereas with ms it's a more formal system and takes better are of the integrity
of each application an more formally made in their labs whereas with android any tom dick harry can
offer an application .

with all that in mind , just before christmas day , i exchanged my faulty Toshiba wt 8 vers A for
the ms .1 tablet -acer iconia 8 inch and so far it has been great . ....

nowadays i noticed that the Toshiba and acer have offered 7 inch tablets with MS 8.1 OS .....
i tried the handwriting recognition application on the toshiba and it wasnt up to expectation.

i hope to try the acer model and will let you Folks know about that

and btw the handwriting recognition facility on the acer iconia 8 inch which im using now is
just great as was the toshiba wt8 vers A ( which i was using previously and which i exchanged
under guarantee due to a fault in it ) . I had bought an Adonit brand capacitative pen for handwriting and
the level of recognition is superb

- so light to carry the pen around in handbag instead of a keyboard and mouse

What is Android? Is it like Steroid?
hahahah ...nice one there
i suppose i get your meaning put in a very succinct fashion
...many thanks for responding :thumb:

I've both iPad (9.7") and Xiaomi miPad (7.9").
Xiaomi Pad is all I know abt Android based tablets. 7.9 inches, 360g quite handy. Resolution - 1536 x 2048 pixels (324 ppi)
i was almost gonna give a like to a ccplander for the first time in 6 years,
since i joined this forum
when i realized that you are using my post
to promote your product ! :toilet: :rofl:

Last edited:

amoy

i was almost gonna give a like to a ccplander for the first time in 6 years,
since i joined this forum
when i realized that you are using my post
to promote your product ! :toilet: :rofl:
u're welcome. I'm a super user of android.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
For phone stick to Android, for a desktop go linux if you want to save money.

Also Win 7 > 8.1

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
For phone stick to Android, for a desktop go linux if you want to save money.
Also Win 7 > 8.1
yeah bro ...you were sure right on that

well i just a few days ago i purchased a nokia lumia 435 equipped with win 8.1 phone OS for 60 eur which is pretty cheap ( brand new and special offer from the store )

i found to my delight that it has a dictate and change speech to text which will save me a lot of typing ...now alll i have to do is speak into the built-in mic and it will transform the speech into english text ....now that's great

.but i was disappointed to see that so far the video doesnt work on Skype ...ie you cant get free skype video calls and even the voice calls it seems that you have to pay for it ? can anyone confirm this ?

secondly this win phone, MS Lumia 435 with win version 8.1 will not allow to download and use firefox browser , nor even google chrome browser

a windows phone, it seems has many restrictions compared to the free-source android ? ....am i right on this , guys ?

can you guys, tech experts or even semi-experts would know a lot more than me on this subject ! most grateful and thanks in advance

@angeldude13@Abhijat@Ancient Indian@anupamsurey@aliyah @Alien@angeldude13@Abhijat@Ancient Indian@anupamsurey @aliyah @Alien @Aravind Sanjeev @A chauhan @asingh10 @asianobserve @BATTLE FIELD@bose @Bornubus @brational@blueblood@Blackwater@Blood+
@Bangalorean @bengalraider @cobra commando @Chirag @Chris Jude @Chinmoy@Cadian @DingDong@ersakthivel @FRYCRY @guru-dutt@Hari Sud@hit&run @indiandefencefan @I_PLAY_BAD @Indian Devil @Indibomber @Jangaruda @jackprince@Kunal @Kshatriya87 Biswas@LETHALFORCE@laughingbuddha @mhk99 @maomao @Neil @Nicky G @OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra @PaliwalWarrior @Pulkit @Rowdy@Razor@Rashna @[email protected] @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sunnyv @sgarg@sabari @Sameet2 @saik @sorcerer @sydsnyper @Sridevi @SREEKAR @TejasMK3@The enlightened
@tejas warrior@tharun@thethinker@tsunami@Screambowl @Sylex21 @VIP @Vishwarupa @Vishal Guts @Yusuf@Yumdoot @Zebra
@Akim @gadeshi @Gabriel92
@ajtr @Zarvan @musalman @Neo @safriz

Last edited:

aliyah

Microsoft offering free upgrade to windows 10 . even if ur using pirated version on windows u can get free upgrade n make ur windows genuine for free . roma ur use is very limited so think it doent matter u use win or android or os

Alien

Pros and cons depends on what kind of user you are... Each and every system has it's pros and cons, it's up to you what you prefer at the end of the day based on your likings.

When it comes to tab, I prefer Windows over Android or iOS tabs.

I have used Windows, Android and iOS tabs but I liked Windows tab the most because of ease of use.

Windows Tab gives you a pleasure of using your desktop/laptop on an hand held device.

Here are my personal favorites.

Office use: Windows 10

Home use (Internet, Music, youtube, downloads etc...): Ubuntu Desktop 15

Smart Phone: Android

Tab: Windows Tab

Srinivas_K

Country flag
It depends on your requirements.

I recommend Windows for laptop and android for mobiles.

If you have iPhone and Apple Mac which operate on iOS, this option is some what costly

Illusive

Country flag
@roma You can run Android apps on windows 7/8/10 with Bluestacks for free, I also run windows 10 on my tablet, its runs great. Windows 10 is great if you have a touch device, but windows 7 is still the boss for me on desktops. If you have 8.1 upgrade to the free windows 10 download asap, its worth it.

About the pixel resolution, its not a problem in windows 10 as there is a tablet mode, you can also change the DPI settings to 150 ppi for bigger texts. In control panel/ Display option on any windows OS.

About convenience, you are right android tablets are smaller and lighter and the tasks you mentioned can be easily fulfilled on a android. But for Laptops its Windows, no question about that.

About windows on mobiles......... windows phone OS is different from desktop windows OS, its much more limited, the above things are mentioned are applicable for desktop/laptop/tablet OS. But you can upgrade your lumia to windows 10. You can't download chrome cause its not available, Google hasn't developed and seems unlikely in future as well. Lumia will use bing, its not bad.

I recommend using android for phone and windows for desktops and laptops. For 7 inch tablet, Android is good. Android has good accessibility and lightweight devices. Windows have functionality but it depends on what your specs are. Eg if you just wanna listen to music and browse web, your wasting your money on windows. But you have work that takes good processing power, like photoshop or running high end games or heavy web browsing opening 10 pages at the same time Windows is good.

sob

Mod
Country flag
On phone I have a Lumia 535 winning on Win 8.1 Love the phone and the awesome battery life, which is very important to me. Battery lasts at least 48 hours and my earlier Android Samsung Note II the battery did not last beyond 12 hours.

Computer I cannot comment since I have happily switched over to a Mac around 4 years back.

Indibomber

Windows all days long for laptop and Android for phones. Best part of Windows is its to troubleshoot in case of any issues and you can customize the hardware. Just enable UAC create a standard account and play all day long without AV. You also don't need to sync and share everything with Microsoft. I hate being forced to sign on to gmail for any thing i do my phone. I don't want to sync my google contacts but i am forced to.

I would use Windows based phone as well if good hardware and better apps were available.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
For Desktop/Laptop --> Windows 10.
Tablet >8" size --> Windows 10.
Tablet <8" size and web browsing and media is priority--> Android

Phones depending on apps, search your required app on play store and Windows store, if your desired apps are available on Windows store- Windows10 mobile is great on phones, it's smooth and doesn't require that much high end spec, battery life is awesome and good compatibility with desktop Windows 10. Android is also very good but problem is battery life and sluggish performance on low end specs, you need good specs, atleast snapdragon 6XX series with 2 GB ram for it. It works smooth on very good specs. You don't need to worry about apps. Well, if possible buy nexus devices or any play edition phone. It would be very great to use vanilla android as these devices will get regular updates and no bloatware on vanilla android except you consider some useless google apps as bloatware, otherwise it's clean.

I use Nexus 4 right now but it won't get marshmallow officially and my apps requirement in India is fulfilled by Windows store, too. I'm waiting for good midrange Lumia with Windows Hello feature. If possible, I would buy one of the Lumias for daily use.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles