More Health Risks from China

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
More Health Risks from China

Monday, April 13, 2009

Household problems ranging from corroded plumbing to serious skin rashes all are coming from the same source—China—according to experts in the United States and in other countries. For many Americans living in as many as 100,000 new homes built during the recent housing boom, the drywall contains chemicals that, when exposed to heat and humidity, give off fumes that not only smell bad (like rotting eggs) but also is capable of corroding copper pipes, tarnishing jewelry and making people sick. This particular drywall was imported from China by construction companies because it was abundant and cheap. It is believed that as much as 500 million pounds of the toxic compound wound up in the United States, including in newly built homes in the Southeast after Hurricane Katrina.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, researchers in Europe have discovered that hundreds of thousands of leather sofas made in China contain a toxic fungicide that can cause chronic dermatitis, skin burns, eye irritation and breathing difficulties. The culprit is dimethyl fumarate, which can turn into a toxic vapor when people’s body heat from sitting on the sofas causes a chemical reaction.

http://www.allgov.com/ViewNews/More_Health_Risks_from_China_90413

Country flag
when i was flipping houses i had a chance to buy some of this cheap drywall, thank god I didn't.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Beware you, buyers of Chinese furniture, your derriere might itch one day if you sit on that sofa/furniture.

Pintu

Rightly said , LF, actually they had a market for cheap products in here, Eastern India all died down now. People even avoid their branded items.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles