Moon mining

warriorextreme

Country flag
There is something else that the general public does not know. Why else would SpaceX & Blue Origin be spending billions of dollars without knowing that there is big gains to be made. I think Moon colonies for mining are going to be a reality very soon & it is going to drastically change our lives.

Leonardo Alves

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@Indx TechStyle look like it was true.
Them are planning a territory on moon.
Better DHADI BABA and Sivan start moving forward on that heavy whatever rocket we have or otherwise the always late story of India will again turn out to be true.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
@Indx TechStyle look like it was true.
Them are planning a territory on moon.
Better DHADI BABA and Sivan start moving forward on that heavy whatever rocket we have or otherwise the always late story of India will again turn out to be true.
Easier said than done. Our existing factories don't even churn out sufficient number of medium launchers, heavy and super-heavy launches may be once on many years. Further, SCE-200 too is early stage of verifications.

A series of many modular heavy and super-heavy launchers is under design although. It will take at least 2025 before launching first heavy and 2035-40 till launching first super-heavy launcher. They aren't needed either till India starts to build its space station.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Easier said than done. Our existing factories don't even churn out sufficient number of medium launchers, heavy and super-heavy launches may be once on many years. Further, SCE-200 too is early stage of verifications.

A series of many modular heavy and super-heavy launchers is under design although. It will take at least 2025 before launching first heavy and 2035-40 till launching first super-heavy launcher. They aren't needed either till India starts to build its space station.
We also need to develop and demonstrate many Technologies before that.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
We also need to develop and demonstrate many Technologies before that.
We are already constructing a larger launchpad which is big enough for Delta IV class rockets (tender posted in ISRO thread few years back).
I think besides engine and new motors we are yet to test (isn't a technological challenge, at least motors if not engine), we have rest. Only thing is that we need HLVs 10 years later, why pour money into it to fastrack right now?

We don't even have any satellite or spacecraft to launch on HLV.

Leonardo Alves

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
We are already constructing a larger launchpad which is big enough for Delta IV class rockets (tender posted in ISRO thread few years back).
I think besides engine and new motors we are yet to test (isn't a technological challenge, at least motors if not engine), we have rest. Only thing is that we need HLVs 10 years later, why pour money into it to fastrack right now?

We don't even have any satellite or spacecraft to launch on HLV.
There is a problem of them taking a base that can be turn out valuable for different reasons.
There is a chance of that happening if we don't move there fast.
I am really alarmed at why USA is hell bent on a base there? What is there? And why other nations are trying too.
Look at heavy lift launch rockets nations.
USA and CHINA we know have the capability,we know this, FRANCE too has and in the lieu EU has, RUSSIA just demonstrated it, the thing is in INDIA we don't even have a remotely capable one.
And also this.
WE are hovering if I am not wrong on one billion dollars.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
There is a chance of that happening if we don't move there fast.
  1. We have to finish what is on our table first. If we don't have nuclear propulsion systems (RTEG) for spacecrafts, no human spaceflight capabilities, no soft landing capabilities for Moon & planets and no large communication networks, there is little we can do for making a colony on Moon even if we make a Saturn V type or even a UR-900 type rocket.
  2. A new cold war era space race type competition will emerge in upcoming two decades. We will have these systems in service and then pouring money crazily like space race will actually bear some fruits. Right now, even American, Russian and Chinese budgets are minute for establishing bases.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Not sufficient yet to power a spacecraft.
ISRO doesn't seems going in that direction.

ISRO mainly involve in resolving India's problem & GOI supporting in that way only.

I think we must not expect anything like NASA from ISRO.
Mining of resources from outerspace, moon landings and super-heavy launchers have been part of ISRO's annual reports and presentations for long enough.
Problem is they need a launch frequency of 20/year for sufficing current requirement of satellites and also validate landing and human spaceflight tech first, before focusing here.

NASA's spin off technologies anyway too are used in US like ISRO in India.

mandestiny

Country flag
Not sufficient yet to power a spacecraft.
Yeah its a prototype , but at least we have developed and can be matured further.

Mining of resources from outerspace, moon landings and super-heavy launchers have been part of ISRO's annual reports and presentations for long enough.
Problem is they need a launch frequency of 20/year for sufficing current requirement of satellites and also validate landing and human spaceflight tech first, before focusing here.

NASA's spin off technologies anyway too are used in US like ISRO in India.
ISRO budget doesn't seems align what they wants to target/achieve.

mandestiny

Country flag
If ISRO wants to become leader of satellite that also good. Then in this case ISRO must have capability to put satellite on any space objects of solar system (moon/planets/etc).

Photon

Country flag
The new Russia-China Moon station. If India should not take it seriously, we will ultimately loss in the Moon race. Only way is accelerating chandrayan project with Japan. interesting thing is Porki flag also visible in this video.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
The new Russia-China Moon station. If India should not take it seriously, we will ultimately loss in the Moon race. the interesting thing is Porki flag is also visible in this video.
That's because the Chinks need their Paki slaves on the Moon too - from serving them tea to cleaning their sh*t pots!!

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Recently my interest has sparked in astronomy, I was a very adamant astrophile a few years back, that time when I had visited a public telescope centre to watch the stars through the lens of a telescope, I was absolutely amazed. That time I was so interested in astronomy, physics and maths but in particular I was more into astronomy, I used to always start lecturing my relatives and friends about planets, stars and other celestial bodies etc, I could continuously go on for hours & hours speaking about all that. I used to be obsessed with watching all those space documentaries on Television channels like National Geographic, Discovery, Discount science & etc. At that time I had decided, I don't know how old I was at the time, It was before my 7th grade, I know that for sure so maybe it was when I was grade 6, anyways I had told my parents that I wanted to pursue a career in Astronomy by becoming an astronomer, my mom opposed this and said that becoming an astronomer in India has no value, you won't end up becoming successful and what not, you know the typical Indian parent mindset which I will not write here cause that is self explanatory to everyone on the forum.

Now speaking on Moon mining or in general space mining, the latter which in layman terms means mining celestial bodies like Asteroids, moons, planets etc for useful resources like minerals. I think that in the near future, this will most certainly be a reality. If nations are having the ambitions to establish settlements on extraterrestrial bodies then space mining is a "necessity" because you can't constantly depend on supplies from earth as that would prove to be time consuming, too expensive and some other factors that I can't envision. We need to become an interplanetery species if humanity wants to maintain its existence and the ones of other lifeforms. In initial stages we would depend on only mechanical probes for this job, I think that unmanned probes are all that we need in space mining.

karn

Country flag
Recently my interest has sparked in astronomy, I was a very adamant astrophile a few years back, that time when I had visited a public telescope centre to watch the stars through the lens of a telescope, I was absolutely amazed. That time I was so interested in astronomy, physics and maths but in particular I was more into astronomy, I used to always start lecturing my relatives and friends about planets, stars and other celestial bodies etc, I could continuously go on for hours & hours speaking about all that. I used to be obsessed with watching all those space documentaries on Television channels like National Geographic, Discovery, Discount science & etc. At that time I had decided, I don't know how old I was at the time, It was before my 7th grade, I know that for sure so maybe it was when I was grade 6, anyways I had told my parents that I wanted to pursue a career in Astronomy by becoming an astronomer, my mom opposed this and said that becoming an astronomer in India has no value, you won't end up becoming successful and what not, you know the typical Indian parent mindset which I will not write here cause that is self explanatory to everyone on the forum.

Now speaking on Moon mining or in general space mining, the latter which in layman terms means mining celestial bodies like Asteroids, moons, planets etc for useful resources like minerals. I think that in the near future, this will most certainly be a reality. If nations are having the ambitions to establish settlements on extraterrestrial bodies then space mining is a "necessity" because you can't constantly depend on supplies from earth as that would prove to be time consuming, too expensive and some other factors that I can't envision. We need to become an interplanetery species if humanity wants to maintain its existence and the ones of other lifeforms. In initial stages we would depend on only mechanical probes for this job, I think that unmanned probes are all that we need in space mining.
It is assumed that most common materials mined from asteroids will be for creating structures in those locations.. reason being that getting material out of earths gravity is expensive .. The delta V required to lug those back to earth will be astronomical.
With regards to resource shortage.. Our population will shrink in the time scale that you are describing where we will not have resources (metals , minerals etc) to sustain us

Last edited:

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
It is assumed that most common materials mined from asteroids will be for creating structures in those locations.. reason being that getting material out of earths gravity is expensive .. The delta V required to lug those back to earth will be astronomical.
With regards to resource shortage.. Our population will shrink in the time scale that you are describing when we will not have resources (metals , minerals etc) to sustain us
I do not possess much knowledge as to what type of materials are used in making space based structures like space stations, satellites, probes but I am aware that some of the common elements employed in their construction include elements like Aluminium, Titanium, ofcourse of aerospace grade though.

If near future we find an asteroid and we are confident that it has some useful minerals which are worth extracting then we can send swarms of unmanned probes equipped with apparatus needed to drill into all that rock and get all that minerals we want. Also I have read and watched several documentaries saying that an asteroid could have so many minerals that we can turn the asteroid into a spacecraft, only that we will have to build our way around, we will have to attach boosters, very powerful though inorder to propel it in space, in space there is no medium such as air that we have in our atmosphere, so drag won't be an issue, but to de-accelerate we will have to produce in opposite direction of the spacecraft's trajectory.

I am not very knowledgeable about ballistics and orbital mechanics, if you know any good articles by which I can get a layman's basics from that then I be very happy. I am only saying what I have said from my current knowledge of physics taught in my classes. The above approach in my opinion depends on the size of the asteroid, we should test this model of conversion of an asteroid into a spacecraft on a smaller asteroid first, only then we should move on to the bigger ones.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles