Moon mining

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
http://indiafacts.org/moonshot-why-india-must-take-the-lead-in-the-final-frontier/
By simha sir.
THIS IS FOR EACH AND EVERY MEMBER.
My FIRST TIME DOING THIS SO IF THERE IS ANY PROBLEM BEAR WITH ME.
I don't know if there is any discussion on this going or not.
But I want to focus EACH AND EVERY MEMBER FOCUS ON THE ABOVE ARTICLE.
What the writer said is true.
Imagine USA LANDING ON MOON particular side filled with resources, then it will not allow other countries to mine there, similarly with Bastards CHINESE too and if any country will want to mine in there area then whole lot of REALPOLITIK will start.
We do may get some benefit from Russia(if they land on the resourceful area) but that's all.
So, members a new colonization has already started and that also in the NAME OF SPACE TOURISM (we know how much tourism will be there, ninety-nine percent spacecrafts and spacestations will be used for mining) and we have to become first one to succeed in this.
Now I know why USA is soooo much focused on spacex and other private space startups.
So I am here starting this conversation so that members will discuss about the future COLONIZATION OF MOON(if there is already a conversation then merge it) because if anybody from INDIAN STRATEGIC COMMUNITY IN NEW DELHI who watches and read DFI Regularly, THEN PLEEAAAASE GO AND TELL POWER CENTERS OF INDIA.
How important NOW it is TO FIRST LAND AND THEN MINE THE MOON.
It's Europe colonization all over again just in this case it is spread all over the world.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It isn't important at all as there is nothing of value worth the cost of extraction. The only value of it is as a base to conduct asteroid mining which is far more valuable. Landing on the moon first won't achieve a strategic objective if you don't really have an objective. The Americans already did that and haven't been back in 50 years.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
It isn't important at all as there is nothing of value worth the cost of extraction. The only value of it is as a base to conduct asteroid mining which is far more valuable. Landing on the moon first won't achieve a strategic objective if you don't really have an objective. The Americans already did that and haven't been back in 50 years.
Colonization is going to happen and countries are going to do ANTARCTICA part 2 there.
So, according to your source there is no extract able amount of helium-3 or other minerals.
If I am not wrong then.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Colonization is going to happen and countries are going to do ANTARCTICA part 2 there.
So, according to your source there is no extract able amount of helium-3 or other minerals.
If I am not wrong then.
The reserves of it are unproven much less having the element as an economical energy source in a world powered by fusion reactors. We are doing good work at the LHC and once sustained reactions are achieved, any other energy source is not worth talking about. The only thing worth going to space for is mining asteroids.

Sanglamorre

Country flag
If I am not wrong then.
There hasn't been an Antarctica Part 1 in the first place.

What he means is that the cost of extraction is still much higher than the value generated from it.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
There hasn't been an Antarctica Part 1 in the first place.

What he means is that the cost of extraction is still much higher than the value generated from it.
I think having base in moon and controlling area there and working on developing technologies for meaningful extraction is the thing I am talking here.
If I am not wrong there are many countries who have layed their stakes on Antarctica.
For more information there are always news just now I CAME TO KNOW BRITISH HAVE ALSO CLAIM ON Antarctica...... read somewhere.

Last edited:

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
The members who are reading this thread, I want to say right now and clear....... maybe extraction is costly right now but in this age where continuous new technology development keep on coming we can't fall behind ATLEAST IN BASING OUR Interests on moon.
Hence, controlling moon areas are important.
Just like we have research stations in Antarctica, research station on moon is more important because we know one thing surely that technology to extract helium will come in the near future,if we have base there we can control riches I am saying this. It is not a zero sum game.
Moon most important areas are few why not go and lay our claims there.
The world is not for followers but doers.

sorcerer

Country flag
The members who are reading this thread, I want to say right now and clear....... maybe extraction is costly right now but in this age where continuous new technology development keep on coming we can't fall behind ATLEAST IN BASING OUR Interests on moon.
Hence, controlling moon areas are important.
Just like we have research stations in Antarctica, research station on moon is more important because we know one thing surely that technology to extract helium will come in the near future,if we have base there we can control riches I am saying this. It is not a zero sum game.
Moon most important areas are few why not go and lay our claims there.
The world is not for followers but doers.
True..
With the technology..mining on other planets and moons for RARE elements with extra super strength and properties to give the super technology edge will be priority of all TOP 5 nations.
Its just a matter of time the, technology, infrastructure for such is set and made economical.

ssg_slayer

Director at Search & Troll Wing - STW
We Indians will take the south pole on the dark side of the moon where there is presumed water bodies. :D

Enquirer

Gentlemen,

This nonsense of mining on other planetary bodies is just a theoretical postulation (comic book) that has absolutely no practical value!

Time and again, folks add the mining as a rejoinder to space exploration advantages without thinking clearly. A former ISRO head also made such dumb claim only to retract it later.

Mining, if any, on other astronomical bodies would be to sustain a habitat on that body.....but never to bring back to Earth and sell for a profit!!!

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Gentlemen,

This nonsense of mining on other planetary bodies is just a theoretical postulation (comic book) that has absolutely no practical value!

Time and again, folks add the mining as a rejoinder to space exploration advantages without thinking clearly. A former ISRO head also made such dumb claim only to retract it later.

Mining, if any, on other astronomical bodies would be to sustain a habitat on that body.....but never to bring back to Earth and sell for a profit!!!
At current level of available tech, no but may be possible in a couple of centuries.

Enquirer

At current level of available tech, no but may be possible in a couple of centuries.
In couple of centuries Earth would have worked out all its needs :)

All one might want to bring back are souvenirs (like Eiffel tower key chain) :)

Enquirer

Well, I'm damn serious about what I said. Countries don't carry out research in outer space for vain. They got very much reasons and visions.
Countries undertake research because of 'curiosity'.

That's the essence of fundamental research. Remember that gravity was 'discovered' by observing astronomical bodies. Hydrogen was discovered by observing sun. Most importantly the fact that 'light travels' was known only by observing astronomical movements! Einstein's general relativity was experimentally verified by observing astronomical phenomenon!! Without knowing any of these there wouldn't be several technologies that we take for granted.....GPS being one...

Interplanetary travel and colonizing moon/mars are more practical reasons why research continues.....

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Gentlemen,

Yes sir for that purpose too, what are you saying is correct but WE CAN IN FUTURE USE MOON AS A BASE STATION FOR FURTHER EXPLORATION.
But that still will require us to be there in significant way.
ISRO IS ALSO developing HLV, the reason for that is MOON and space station only.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Countries undertake research because of 'curiosity'.

That's the essence of fundamental research. Remember that gravity was 'discovered' by observing astronomical bodies. Hydrogen was discovered by observing sun. Most importantly the fact that 'light travels' was known only by observing astronomical movements! Einstein's general relativity was experimentally verified by observing astronomical phenomenon!! Without knowing any of these there wouldn't be several technologies that we take for granted.....GPS being one...

Interplanetary travel and colonizing moon/mars are more practical reasons why research continues.....
Curiosity doesn't make you spending billions in case you have any purpose to get returns. Science is discovered for development of technology.

Exploitation of extra terrestrial resources is very much in vision of any spacefaring country.

Enquirer

Curiosity doesn't make you spending billions in case you have any purpose to get returns. Science is discovered for development of technology.
ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT!!!

The biggest projects are for pure research...Large Hadron Collider, Gravitational interferometer, Neutrino detectors etc....

Technology is developed based on scientific principles learnt. But science itself is purely about learning the unknown.....some of which become useful technology and some just remains as information/knowledge!

Enquirer

Why?

Just imagine u found one kg of Rhodium or Platinum on moon we can recover our entire ISRO budget for 1 year by selling it.:biggrin2:

We have lot of regulations on mining on earth due to jungles and human populated areas but nobody give F* if u bomb the entire hills on moon/mars.
To bring back a kg of even moon dirt (nothing exists in pure metallic form anyways), it would cost around HALF A BILLION DOLLARS !! Good luck breaking even!!

Enquirer

i said it already in another thread regarding 'How Technology works'.

At initial stages one mobile phone(computer too) costs 30k (now the same phone worth 300/-) and per call 30/-(now 3ps). :pound:Don't worry price will fall and fall drastically once many countries started exploring the space.
Price of phones fall because millions are mass produced due to the value it adds to the people!

Spacecrafts have been landing on the moon for THE LAST FIFTY YEARS!! Moon landing didn’t start with Chandrayaan-2, for you to project a price drop from now on!!
Also no space agency currently is exploring moon/mars with the intention of bringing back minerals to Earth. Can you state one agency that has this objective?

It’a Comic book stuff that other unqualified writers put into their ‘articles’ that mining is an objective!!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles