Modi will be the first Indian PM to visit UK in almost a decade

Zebra

Country flag
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...mber-preparations-begin/article1-1363438.aspx

Modi will be the first Indian PM to visit UK in almost a decade

Prasun Sonwalkar, Hindustan Times, London,
Updated: Jun 27, 2015 17:44 IST

After belying expectations that London would be one of the first desinations of Prime Minister Narendra Modi after forming the government in May 2014, preparations have now begun for his visit to the UK in November -- the first by an Indian Prime Minister in nearly a decade.

The last prime ministerial visit to that country was by Manmohan Singh in 2006. Since then, UK-India relations have plateaued, but now they are expected to be reinvigorated by Modi’s forthcoming visit. No major agreement has been signed between the two countries in recent years.

Foreign secretary S Jaishankar was in London for two days this week to meet British representatives and prepare the groundwork for the November visit. The dates of the visit, however, are yet to be finalised.

During the visit, the two prime ministers are likely to announce the ‘twinning’ of some British and Indian cities, particularly in the context of the Indian government’s plans for ‘smart cities’. Currently, Rajkot is ‘twinned’ with Leicester, which has a large population of Gujarati-origin people.

Contributing to the Modi government’s ‘skills’ agenda and participating in efforts to clean the Ganga are expected to figure on the agenda......

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Anti Indian fish n chips munchers .....
However they are surprisingly friendly one to one...have a few brit pals too ..
Their govt. policy is totally anti India though

Zebra

Country flag
he should spend more tym in india :p :p
Well, in almost a decade, the last PM of India was not happy to go to UK.

That is why PM Modi must to go there.

And he is going there for India anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Not sure what UK has to offer. Perhaps they can stop undermining us in Afghanistan.

indiandefencefan

Country flag
Unlike independence when the UK was fundamentally important in Indian foreign policy now the UK does not have anything special to offer to us apart from the usual trade opportunities.
Defense relations have slackened as only purchase of military equipment takes place especially as the Eurofighter lost the MMRCA.
We don't also have any strategic alliance with UK unlike the case with US or Russia .

All this leads to fact there is no longer any real incentive to deepen our ties beyond the usual anymore and there is no harm to keep the relationship to limited to trade.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
My only expectation from PM's visit is to get BBC monkey off our back. Lately BBC is becoming a nuisance.

Yesterday BBC was reporting on those urination arrests in Agra. This was a 10 sec report which came in between Greek economy and ISIS reports. I thought it was rather odd without any context. I don't even if this news worth a mention in an global news channel like BBC.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
On the economy UK has nothing new to offer, economic relations between india and UK are pretty much stable.

Only reason I find for modi's visit is relevant is maybe because of pitch for UNSC permanent seat. I can also dare to guess that UK's response will be similar to China's response. Somehow Now a days, I find UK's international outlook more closer to China than US and Germany.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
On the economy UK has nothing new to offer, economic relations between india and UK are pretty much stable.

Only reason I find for modi's visit is relevant is maybe because of pitch for UNSC permanent seat. I can also dare to guess that UK's response will be similar to China's response. Somehow Now a days, I find UK's international outlook more closer to China than US and Germany.
They have the historic white men's burden to fulfil and educate poor Indians. They are just trying to somehow correct their failure!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles