Modi favourite for 2019 Lok Sabha elections: US experts

lcafanboy

Country flag
Modi favourite for 2019 Lok Sabha elections: US experts
Narendra Modi has emerged as a clear favourite for the 2019 general elections after the BJP's Lok Sabha election results were not an aberration, another noted that Modi would continue to lead India after 2019.
"The Assembly elections do not signal much of a change. The Uttar Pradesh election results showed that the 2014 general elections were not an "aberration"," Adam Ziegfeld, Assistant Professor of Political Science and International Affairs at the George Washington University said.

"It was a big win for the BJP. Its candidate won with much larger margin of victory than compared to the two previous winners - BSP and Samajwadi Party," he said.

Modi has been established by this election as the "clear and favourite winner" for the 2019 elections, Sadanand Dhume, resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute said.
"Modi is the front runner (for 2019)," he said.

Irfan Nooruddin, a professor at the Walsh School of Foreign Service at the Georgetown University predicted that in 2019, the BJP is unlikely to be get a simple majority and Modi would rather be heading a coalition government.

BJP is running a disciplines election campaign state-by-state, while the Opposition fails, he said.

Read Also:

The party does not do good in a state where it faces a direct opposition. BJP is beatable if the Opposition comes together, Nooruddin said, adding that the party gains where it faces a fragmented opposition and in 2019, anti-incumbency would kick in.

In this election, the BJP played the cast card while pretending to be above it, Dhume who was in Uttar Pradesh during the elections, said.

"Demonetisation is extremely popular. Indian people who have suffered themselves in the wake of the policy, it won their heart and mind. Here is this man of sincerity who struck a principled blow to corrupt and the rich," he said referring to his conversation with people in the state.

Dhume, however, noted that Modi after this historic victory in Uttar Pradesh is unlikely to go for the kind of economic reforms the private sector would like to have.

India is going to bump up its economic reforms that directly effects the people of the country, said Alyssa Ayres, senior fellow for India, Pakistan and South Asia at the Council on Foreign Relations

Picking up four governments in states all across India, and having future prospects, it is unlikely to have an impact on foreign policy. Like demonetisation #IamNewIndia is the pledge that the Prime Minister is asking citizens to be part of his new India campaign.

BJP will now pick up a lot of seats in Rajya Sabha which would help the ruling party to carry out its long pending reform like the land acquisition reform and labor reforms. They would tart picking up seats is early as 2018. BJP is looking at 2019 and beyond.
http://m.timesofindia.com/india/mod...elections-us-experts/articleshow/57624259.cms

Nicky G

Country flag
These morons know nothing about India.

Besides, anyone who thinks 2019 will be easy is deluding themselves. NCP is going to merge back into INC, other factions such as TMC will certainly join hands. Bihar is already tough without Nitish and all will come together in UP.

BJP will need Hindu polirization such as never seen before to pull off victory in 2019. I am sure the PM and party President know all this.

If one views appointment of Yogi as CM through this lens, it makes perfect sense.

Focus on agriculture reforms is another key issue.

Anyway, no matte what they deliver economically, without Hindu consolidation, no chance in 2019.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag

Besides, anyone who thinks 2019 will be easy is deluding themselves. NCP is going to merge back into INC, other factions such as TMC will certainly join hands. Bihar is already tough without Nitish and all will come together in UP.

BJP will need Hindu polirization such as never seen before to pull off victory in 2019. I am sure the PM and party President know all this.

If one views appointment of Yogi as CM through this lens, it makes perfect sense.

Anyway, no matte what they deliver economically, without Hindu consolidation, no chance in 2019.
the usual suspects have already begun braying on the "need for a MAHATHUGBANDHAN prior 2019 to counter the Modi-wave" (the existence of which incidentally they always deny from their other mouth)!

Nicky G

Country flag
the usual suspects have already begun braying on the "need for a MAHATHUGBANDHAN prior 2019 to counter the Modi-wave" (the existence of which incidentally they always deny from their other mouth)!
They have to come together. There is simply no other option for them, particularly after UP results.

It will be the ultimate test for Modi-Shah combo and a moment of reckoning for India.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
They have to come together. There is simply no other option for them, particularly after UP results.

It will be the ultimate test for Modi-Shah combo and a moment of reckoning for India.
yes. we've been iterating here since past 2 years that while 2014 was a major turning point, but of much more significance would be the test of 2019 ultimately!

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag

*conditions apply
If whole opposition unite and produce a credible alternative to Modi. I don't think there are many. I agree with your scepticism as in politics, you need to be careful with everyone and have to take proactive steps and you're right that Modi-shah know about it.

vayuu1

Country flag
*conditions apply
If whole opposition unite and produce a credible alternative to Modi. I don't think there are many. I agree with your scepticism as in politics, you need to be careful with everyone and have to take proactive steps and you're right that Modi-shah know about it.
The thing is even if whole opposition unites that's playing into BJP's hand, Hindutva + development is a deadly combination and bjp has sensed it.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
Country flag
Next 2 years are going to be extremely important and interesting in Indian politics...

1. BJD in Odisha is on the way to a split, it's no more a question of but a question of when, with one fragment joining BJP.
2. TMC will have partial split pretty soon. A faction of it will join with BJP and it will be a pro and pro Hindutva narrative going ahead in WB.
3. Adityanath will be the new poster boy of Hindutva and will be used extensively all over India and especially in south. Modi & Yogi will pack 1 ,2 punch. Remember, Southern people are extremely recipient to Yogis.
4. RajaniKanth, will he or won't he? He won't find a better time to come into politics than now. He might form a party with BJP's help, which after elections might join BJP.
5. Article 370 will be done and dusted late 2018....Or at least attempts will be made to scrap it to show Congees are against this move..

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
Country flag
The thing is even if whole opposition unites that's playing into BJP's hand, Hindutva + development is a deadly combination and bjp has sensed it.
They have realized the strategy but don't have an idea how to counter,
The death blow came from Dalits of UP...Which seems to have knocked the fight out of them.

Just waiting for them to go into willing arms of Nitishwa and make him the PM candidate opposite Modi...Then the fun will start ;)

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
They have realized the strategy but don't have an idea how to counter,
The death blow came from Dalits of UP...Which seems to have knocked the fight out of them.

Just waiting for them to go into willing arms of Nitishwa and make him the PM candidate opposite Modi...Then the fun will start ;)
Nitish isn't half the leader that PM Modi is.

Look at where he has set the benchmark. Even the Europeans and West in general is impressed with his vision. From Businessmen, to popular leaders to heads of states, all admire his world vision.

Could you imagine MMS lead 121 countries to form an international renewable energy Solar Alliance?

While my state doesn't have BJP, I fully appreciate the effort PM Modi has taken to reach out to not just the world to improve India's image, but also reached out to us northeastern Indians like no other PM did in our history.

I will again vote for Modi sir in 2019.

Vishwarupa

Country flag

Look at where he has set the benchmark. Even the Europeans and West in general is impressed with his vision. From Businessmen, to popular leaders to heads of states, all admire his world vision.

Could you imagine MMS lead 121 countries to form an international renewable energy Solar Alliance?

While my state doesn't have BJP, I fully appreciate the effort PM Modi has taken to reach out to not just the world to improve India's image, but also reached out to us northeastern Indians like no other PM did in our history.

I am happy that you are back................

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag

welcome back tshering da (even if its just another short visit)! i was waiting for you to come back since long; had a couple of things to ask.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles