Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
So I have been doing an estimation on the Average cost of single soldier's equipment.
However I have made 2 versions (a) Hypothetical (b) possible

(a)
-Starting out with the very basics a Paracom Ripstop fullsleeve shirt and cargo pant costs around Rs1800 + Rs2000 (expensive one) - total 3800
- shoes (expensive ones) +socks around 2000+145= 3145
- Cap- 145
- MKU Helmet- 30000+helmet cover (1500)
- Plate carrier + ballistic plate - 4650+13000 =17650
-Gloves -350
- Battle Belt+ Regular belt - 1500+500 = 2000

Keeping in mind these are just rough hypothetical estimates the total amount of loadout (a) Rs.58590 per soldier . With the exclusion of AR and Training.
And there might be a reduction of price owing to large demand/order.

This loadout can be used as a form of representation on global platform

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
Now for the (b) loadout which is a more accurate to current situation
- The New Camo uniform costs around the same as the Paracom one -3800
- The helmet + cheaper cover -30000+1000=31000
- the vest +plates - 1150+13000= 14150
- socks + boots(Unistar/Liberty) - 1100+145 =1245
- cap - 145
- gloves -350
- Regular belt - 500

The Est Cost comes at Rs.51190.
so it turns out that the difference is pretty minimal compared to (a) . Price diff is around 7000 . And a lot of it can be managed with the soldiers preferences .

Also the Ballistic Helmet can be switched out in favour of Olive Planet Base jump and impact resistant carbon fiber helmets due to High altitude Ops and parachute training which is - (-)30000 and (+)4000

From this calculation, I wanted to deduct that the only reason why Infantry Modernization is stuck is sheer Lathergy and lack of acknowledgement of a modern Systems.
Hopefully through the procurement of new 50000 vest and 80000 tactical helmet this can be corrected to an extent .

thebakofbakchod

Throw imaginary figures out with deadlines long enough that he will be long since retired

aside from a few emergency purchases the IA hasn’t bought anything substantial in a long time. Arty, tanks, IFV, AD, aviation etc etc all are outdated and below capacity

in response all they are doing is issuing RFIs that aren’t likely to go anywhere and at best will offer solutions 15 years downs the line
I truly dont understand. Where is the money going? Most IA soldiers still look as badly equipped as Somali warlords and have worse standardisation than the Taliban. These days even the news of RFIs have dried up. Orders for proper combat boots, plate carriers, sights and a decent standard issue gun are all non existent.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I truly dont understand. Where is the money going? Most IA soldiers still look as badly equipped as Somali warlords and have worse standardisation than the Taliban. These days even the news of RFIs have dried up. Orders for proper combat boots, plate carriers, sights and a decent standard issue gun are all non existent.
don't depend on news for information, go to source.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 1.14.58 PM.png

abingdonboy

Country flag
Something like 80-90% of the IA’s entire budget goes on OPEX (most of this just being salaries and other personnel related costs). Then some will cry when the Agnipath scheme is announced or recruitment slows

without tackling this issue IA will be standing still, or they have to have their budget tripled which isn’t going to happen

SKC

Country flag
le Somali Forces:
1674055150231.jpeg

Even their police departments are very well equipped for a country like theirs.

cyclops

Country flag
Something like 80-90% of the IA’s entire budget goes on OPEX (most of this just being salaries and other personnel related costs). Then some will cry when the Agnipath scheme is announced or recruitment slows

without tackling this issue IA will be standing still, or they have to have their budget tripled which isn’t going to happen
Amen to that.
The whole moaning and groaning over Agnipath seemed so very shortsighted. The fact that we have to look at everything as a job security measure rather than it functioning for what it was designed for is so cringe inducing.

IA's OPEX to CAPEX ratio is abysmal as compared Airforce and Navy.

Revenue-Capital.jpg

The personnel-intensive Indian Army continues to corner the biggest share in the DSE (see Figure 2), although its share has declined to 51 percent from 54 percent in the previous budget. Notably, its decline in share has not improved its revenue-capital ratio. Rather, it has worsened further from 80:20 to 86:14 (see Table 4 for revenue-capital ratio of armed forces). With a standing force of 1.2 million (or 85 percent of the total uniformed strength of the three forces),[13] the Army’s salary expenses alone make up over 70 percent of its total budget.:facepalm:

NotASussyBoi

Country flag
Do they manufacture guns and ammo locally or do they also import it like us?
cannot gurantee their armors and such but its likely imported , Danab forces are definitely using imported weapons since Somalia does not even have a lackluster amount of arms industry(examples of their arms) maybe they use some hardware from South Africa if that counts
1674110634584.png

JConline

Country flag
cannot gurantee their armors and such but its likely imported , Danab forces are definitely using imported weapons since Somalia does not even have a lackluster amount of arms industry(examples of their arms) maybe they use some hardware from South Africa if that counts
View attachment 190200
You can see the clear western influence in how they set up their plate carriers and assualt rifles. What's astonishing is that, Indian SF don't adopt these things even after extensive exposure to western forces. And honestly, blows my mind how stubborn the Indian military leadership has to be to not gear up the SF to world standards because it costs a hell lot lesser to arm the SF than deal with importing manufacturing tech at sky high prices over eternity. God knows when there'll be a change.

NotASussyBoi

Country flag
You can see the clear western influence in how they set up their plate carriers and assualt rifles. What's astonishing is that, Indian SF don't adopt these things even after extensive exposure to western forces. And honestly, blows my mind how stubborn the Indian military leadership has to be to not gear up the SF to world standards because it costs a hell lot lesser to arm the SF than deal with importing manufacturing tech at sky high prices over eternity. God knows when there'll be a change.
As i have always said , the only way top brass is having a new life is when a national tragedy concerning internal affiars , which is very unlikely to happen

abingdonboy

Country flag
For the cost of 10 K9 you could have every PARA SF armed with all the Gucci gear of a tier 1 SMU in the US. Of course training plays a big part in mindset and employment of that equipment so I doubt they’d be able to match the top units in the world purely by giving them new gear.

that said there’s no freaking excuse for not giving them any new kit in the last 10 years worth a damn (a few high cuts here and there mean nothing), their standard load out is the same as it was in 2009, maybe they have more ACHs that’s about it.

shocking that the IA HQ doesn’t consider this a concern

Global Defence

New threads

Articles