Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Exactly. This is an OEM solution now and I expect the RFI has been created purely for this solution but it has to be tendered out procedurally.

not that it matters much because the IA has no night fighting doctrine but these helmets have zero ability to integrate NODs which further highlights how backwards the IA is in their thinking.

1 step forward, 2 steps back with these guys always.
No need, would take more than a decade to even have something like night fight capability enmass for infantry. I believe a NOD mount can be put on converter band if needed though, might not be much of a problem if needed.
On the contrary though, previous RFI for helmet had requirement of NVG mount, side rails and a ballistic visor too.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Genuine question - what % of troop fatalities are because they are shot in the face vs shot at the top/back of the head that is covered by a helmet?
Well I am more interested to know how much get lethal injury while being shot near stomach area and pelvic area.
Many simp for sf type lightweight plate carriers but I always worry about the stomach and pelvic area being unprotected.
1669575614586.png

Imo a hard plate pelvic protection and soft Kevlar hip protection should be made compulsory for personal protection in addition to a vest with large area coverage. We can atleast provide good protection to our warfighters.
There's still a lot of area frontally which can be fatal if shot at. This is just a probability game at to what part a bullet hits.
Below config seems better to me, question is would you rather be cool at being shot in stomach or lugging a heavier armour.
1669575885575.png

Most likely we would be seeing the below config for regular infantry atleast in western forces, similiar config has already been selected by UK army, similiar as above but with face protection
1669575960367.png

WolfPack86

Country flag
SSS DEFENCE TO SUPPLY 300 QUANTITY OF ATTACHMENT FOR AK-47 RIFLES
SSS Defence is set to supply 300 qty of Attachment for AK-47 Rifle including new fitment of Picatinny Rail and Reflex Sight to Eastern Command, Indian Army.

The ever-dependable AK-47 assault rifle of the Army has just become deadlier and more stable, thanks to an indigenous upgrade solution brought in by an Indian company as per an earlier report.

The Bangalore-based SSS Defence, which won a contract from an elite unit of the Army — beating an Israeli firm — in October last year, delivered its upgrade kits to the Army, the company said.

The new kit includes a new foldable buttstock for the rifle, which allows the soldier to operate it better. The upgrade kits include a hand-guard and vertical grip, which allow the soldier a better and stable firing position. Sources also said (unconfirmed) SSS has provided with a flash hider at no extra cost, since it was not part of the requirements issued by the particular unit of the Army.

The upgrade also comes with a new dust cover that will allow mounting of sights, a feature that the AK-47 lacked until now. The sights will help the soldier aim.

There have been changes to the front part, which will allow mounting of a bipod or a knife when needed.

Until now, Israel’s Fab Defence had a monopoly in the Indian market over the upgrade of AK-47s.

The source added that the upgrade kits make the rifle look and feel completely new.

SSS Defence is also eyeing a possible contract from the Indian Army for the upgrade of the legendary Dragunov rifle, commonly known in the armed forces as DSR.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles