Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

rkhanna

Country flag
Yet they still managed to capture the Jaffna City from a veteran insurgent group, arguably the most battle hardened in the world, in just two weeks. The Indian army had never fought Urban Guerillas before, and the LTTE had just bloodied the Sri Lankan Army from these very positions.

To put into context, it took the USA, British, and Iraqmore than a month to capture Fallujah in 2004, against an arguably less hardened insurgent force with a technological advantage in firepower.

Not bashing the Americans here, Fallujah 2004 was a brilliantly executed operation and the Marines fought absolutely brilliantly, achieving an amazinf kill ratio, but that’s just to prove into perspective how underrated the Indian Army can really be.

Contrary to hearsay, both official and unofficial, the IPKF performed valiantly in its tasks.

Source: The IPKF in Sri Lanka, 1987-1990 report by an American Major.

View attachment 157739
All that is well in good but in the end it was unsustainable for the IPKF to go toe to toe with the LTTE. It was a war of attrition we couldn't afford. Taking major urban centers in a Counter Insurgency war is now shown to mean very little in terms of overall military objective - examples litter the battlefields of the world going back to the Vietnam war.

The Indian army is/was an outstandingly well drilled fighting force. BUT the one thing that did make life harder was the fact every single piece of kit we had on our infantryman was inferior to the LTTE cadre kit. And ironically the SG/SFF trained them.

That being said the Army performing Valiantly despite incompetencies in the civilian and military leadership has now become the hallmark of the IA. .

Kumaoni

All that is well in good but in the end it was unsustainable for the IPKF to go toe to toe with the LTTE. It was a war of attrition we couldn't afford. Taking major urban centers in a Counter Insurgency war is now shown to mean very little in terms of overall military objective - examples litter the battlefields of the world going back to the Vietnam war.

The Indian army is/was an outstandingly well drilled fighting force. BUT the one thing that did make life harder was the fact every single piece of kit we had on our infantryman was inferior to the LTTE cadre kit. And ironically the SG/SFF trained them.

That being said the Army performing Valiantly despite incompetencies in the civilian and military leadership has now become the hallmark of the IA. .
IPKF bloodied the Tigers very well, and this is said by an American general.

Indian army before this had 0 experience in counter insurgency operations in urban areas. Battle of Jaffna is a milestone Becuase it taught valuable lessons to the Indian army.

I mean, taking such a fortified position in just two weeks, where it takes the best of the best months to capture cities, is no mean feat.

This is despite the inherent firepower disadvantages, and lack in such warfare.

BF0B27A5-14A7-4F77-94D6-1701D20AF194.jpeg

rkhanna

Country flag

Indian army before this had 0 experience in counter insurgency operations in urban areas. Battle of Jaffna is a milestone Becuase it taught valuable lessons to the Indian army.

I mean, taking such a fortified position in just two weeks, where it takes the best of the best months to capture cities, is no mean feat.

View attachment 157742
Not arguing at all with you bro, my mama and mom cousin fought in Lanka, i have quiet a decent working knowledge of what went down in Lanka . Read what I have written though.

We were under equipped to fight the LTTE , we were under equipped in Kargil and in 2022 we are under equipped to fight Pakistan or China.

This thread is about modernization of the Army. My point being like always our Jawans will continue to do the dieing and winning.

Lastly- remember like Mutual Funds past performance is not an indicator of things. This is only my inherent bias but the ne crop of commanders doesn't inspire the same confidence sometimes

Kumaoni

Not arguing at all with you bro, my mama and mom cousin fought in Lanka, i have quiet a decent working knowledge of what went down in Lanka . Read what I have written though.

We were under equipped to fight the LTTE , we were under equipped in Kargil and in 2022 we are under equipped to fight Pakistan or China.

This thread is about modernization of the Army. My point being like always our Jawans will continue to do the dieing and winning.

Lastly- remember like Mutual Funds past performance is not an indicator of things. This is only my inherent bias but the ne crop of commanders doesn't inspire the same confidence sometimes
It’s crazy how india managed to win so much victories, and still be a case study for even American generals who write about their operations. India needs to invest more in the military sector tbh.

Kumaoni

There is even an article comparing Kargil to Operation Anaconda in 2001 US Afghan war. Lemme find it and post some snippets.

rkhanna

Country flag
It’s crazy how india managed to win so much victories, and still be a case study for even American generals who write about their operations. India needs to invest more in the military sector tbh.
The history of subcontinental fighting prowess goes back many milenia. Infact in the early stages of WWII the British officers and soldiers were so incompetent that with Indian man power they would have lost alot more.

In WWI the liberation of Iraq, Haifa and the destruction of the otto empire was at the hands of Indian soldiers.

That again being said the same quality of people of the population are no longer joining the forces. As part of modernization we also have to address and find a work around for that.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I want to post some snippets of battles in Kargil, and how adjustment led to sweeping victories in Kargil, and lessons that can be learned for infantry forces.

I will shower before though as I just finished a workout an hour ago.
Use this thread, we are trying to build a reference library of Indian military literature.

Kumaoni

Use this thread, we are trying to build a reference library of Indian military literature.
I have insufficient privileges to reply.

MuzzleVelocity

View attachment 157742
Source of the text? Would love to read

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles