Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
Does anyone see that poster towards the right with the photo of an all terrain buggy? I've never seen Army use something like this. Are they acquiring it?
Zoom in and you can read its from Polaris, USA. Probably Polaris RZR?
1635391936179.png

The kalyani M4 is yet to be seen in the field

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Any thoughts if IA plans to turn some of it's foot infantry to motorized infantry(different from mech infantry) like that of Russian which mainly uses btr(though to be replaced by new tiger,bommerang,mrap and kamaz typhoon family vehicles), through induction of Kestrel and other armoured mobility carriers like Kalyani m4, mahindra lamv.
You'll see countries like France, Russia, Germany almost have all of their infantry motorized through some kind of armoured transport which can also have added benefit of being a weapon platform.
This might provide us with greater mobility, increased protection(much better than utility trucks we currently use for transportation) and ability to keep up with armoured formations. Atleast on the Western front, I see a great value in it.
Just imagine armour, mech infantry, motorized infantry along with air assets rolling in Pak. They'll be shitting their pants standing...:rofl:

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Anyone also think that the infantry tactics training need to be revamped to current modern situations and modern equipments which doesn't seem so in IA as of now.

UnderFingy

Country flag
Anyone also think that the infantry tactics training need to be revamped to current modern situations and modern equipments which doesn't seem so in IA as of now.
I'll probably get a lot of hate for this but....
Things like this needs to be stopped. And the acrobatics on bikes during the parades. Serves no purpose.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Any thoughts if IA plans to turn some of it's foot infantry to motorized infantry(different from mech infantry) like that of Russian which mainly uses btr(though to be replaced by new tiger,bommerang,mrap and kamaz typhoon family vehicles), through induction of Kestrel and other armoured mobility carriers like Kalyani m4, mahindra lamv.
You'll see countries like France, Russia, Germany almost have all of their infantry motorized through some kind of armoured transport which can also have added benefit of being a weapon platform.
This might provide us with greater mobility, increased protection(much better than utility trucks we currently use for transportation) and ability to keep up with armoured formations. Atleast on the Western front, I see a great value in it.
Just imagine armour, mech infantry, motorized infantry along with air assets rolling in Pak. They'll be shitting their pants standing...:rofl:
Maybe we should, but frankly we go no money. And I've never seen Army interested in that sort of thing. Indian Army has around 360 Light Infantry Battalions. If we convert even 100 of them to Heavy Infantry like the American Stryker BCTs or Chinese Medium CABs, we'll need a total of 6,000-7,000 Kestrels which at a cost of $5 Million a piece would bring the total amount to $30-$35 Billion. There is a lot else we can do with that kind of money that will make all 360 Light Infantry Battalions extremely lethal, effective and versatile. Such as getting them all the best Infantry gear, drones, NVGs, etc. Spend the rest on maintaining fighter strength parity with the Chinese and the humble Indian soldier will thank you for it. You can't win on the ground unless you win in the air.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Maybe we should, but frankly we go no money. And I've never seen Army interested in that sort of thing. Indian Army has around 360 Light Infantry Battalions. If we convert even 100 of them to Heavy Infantry like the American Stryker BCTs or Chinese Medium CABs, we'll need a total of 6,000-7,000 Kestrels which at a cost of $5 Million a piece would bring the total amount to $30-$35 Billion. There is a lot else we can do with that kind of money that will make all 360 Light Infantry Battalions extremely lethal, effective and versatile. Such as getting them all the best Infantry gear, drones, NVGs, etc. Spend the rest on maintaining fighter strength parity with the Chinese and the humble Indian soldier will thank you for it. You can't win on the ground unless you win in the air.
That's true but then Russia did it and now China is rapidly doing it and already has done a lot, there seems to be trend so for armies to move in this direction. I think motorization is the future albeit maybe a bit slow in our case. If not Kestrel atleast something like Kalyani m4, tigr or Kamaz typhoon??? Any armoured car would suffice.
I hope we stop spending stupid money on foreign purchase of things which can be bought from local firms.
And don't really understand the logic of 6 Apaches at whooping 800 million dollars unless they are planning to get a lot more than that.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
That's true but then Russia did it and now China is rapidly doing it and already has done a lot, there seems to be trend so for armies to move in this direction. I think motorization is the future albeit maybe a bit slow in our case. If not Kestrel atleast something like Kalyani m4, tigr or Kamaz typhoon??? Any armoured car would suffice.
I hope we stop spending stupid money on foreign purchase of things which can be bought from local firms.
And don't really understand the logic of 6 Apaches at whooping 800 million dollars unless they are planning to get a lot more than that.
They need good small arms and BPJs helmets too.the last major battle between some capable military was 1992 gulf war everyone was thinking of americans going in like ww2 and loosing thousands but what did they do? They smashed the iraqis by airpower and then invaded .they fundamentally changed warfare that time but now its more than 30 years a new war can go in any direction

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I still think that in mountainous terrains, with a few exceptions like Spanggur gap, Light Infantry reigns supreme. We just need to give them the right tools. Russians have terrain that favours mechanized warfare and they've been doing it since they learnt their lesson post Op Barbarossa. Chinese have actually been trying to keep a balance here. They have 28 Heavy CABs (Tanks and ICVs), 24 Medium CABs (Wheeled APC Infantry) and 24 Light and Mountain CAB (Light Infantry heavy). And unlike us, they got money and economies of scale in their indigenous industry. Americans are simply rich. They had the cash to burn on Stryker Mounted Gun Systems and when they realized it wasn't effective, they simply retired it after few years of service. Meanwhile the Chinese that copied them feel like they were trolled.

Meanwhile, we are an Army with almost no money for modernization (relative to size) and equipment that is nearly obsolete or aging fast. We need to be very careful in strengthening our primaries, before we can think about jumping on bandwagons.

The 6 Apache deal is just something that hurts at this point. For an Army where majority of its Infantry has equipment from the 1970s, where half the tank fleet is obsolete T-72 and where they have a CAPEX of just $5 Billion a year, half of which goes in making accommodations and other infra work, they decide to spend $800 Million on six attack helicopters. That was 16% of their yearly CAPEX they just blew on six attack helicopters.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles