Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
You know what would be really cool and useful (in more sense than one) - a real camo, like a chameleon camouflage, which can read the surroundings and change the surface features accordingly.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
You know what would be really cool and useful (in more sense than one) - a real camo, like a chameleon camouflage, which can read the surroundings and change the surface features accordingly.
Good Idea, It should be in future camo for F-INSAS program..

But we still have to get a basic multi-camo for IA infantry..

neo29

Changing camo means changing uniforms for the entire 2nd largest standing army in the world. The government will surely do it in the F-INSAS program slowly in 2012 but wont do it now for sure.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Changing camo means changing uniforms for the entire 2nd largest standing army in the world. The government will surely do it in the F-INSAS program slowly in 2012 but wont do it now for sure.
The new camo was introduce 2 years back, Now ever solider have one of those useless camos..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I will be great-full if you post one picture. BTW till this date i have seen Army soldiers wearing those green fatigues in deserts.
I don't have my own photo, but when I served in the desert, we wore desert uniform during exercises.

The General was wearing one.

If you are in the Army, have you not seen vehicles with desert camouflage?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

IND10.Indian Army semi-desert camo sets.Jacket,pants,cap.
Used by artillery and infantry posted in Rajasthan - a semi-desert area.
I understand armour based there is also authorized to use it.Also
currently being worn by Indian peacekeepers serving in Angola.
Jackets are button up with 2 upper and 2 lower pockets.Pants
have 2 front pockets,2 cargo pockets,1 back pocket.Available in sizes
from 32" to 44" waist, and from a 42" to 52" chest.
Pants $34.95, Jacket $34.95, Hat $12.00

Semi Desert cam

Parthy

Air Warrior
Think of camo types which changes it colors based on its surroundings.. You know there's one technology from Microsoft of this sort but used for a commercial purpose.. DRDO should try one of this sort - They're still trying to grind the already refined wheel... :emot15:

Evolution starts when the thinking goes out of box... :emot180:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I don't have my own photo, but when I served in the desert, we wore desert uniform during exercises.

The General was wearing one.

If you are in the Army, have you not seen vehicles with desert camouflage?
No i am not in Army but my uncle is, he is one R&R officer and unfortunately i have never seen him wearing any type of desert camo or anything close to yellowish. Though i have surely seen pictures of Army hardware painted in semi desert and full desert camo. Newest among them is Army Dhruv.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Think of camo types which changes it colors based on its surroundings.. You know there's one technology from Microsoft of this sort but used for a commercial purpose.. DRDO should try one of this sort - They're still trying to grind the already refined wheel... :emot15:

Evolution starts when the thinking goes out of box... :emot180:
The advent of flexible OLED displays who knows we will soon have complete OLED camouflage stuck on Soldiers or Vehicles. OLEDS dont even look expensive. This would assure in an new age of camouflage.

Future of Camaflouge?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@ Rahul,

R&R is not deployed in the desert.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
@ Rahul,

R&R is not deployed in the desert.
Yeah i know that R&R is a purpose built force for J&K and NE. BTW when he was in Grenadier and was posted in deserts of Rajasthan he did not brought home even single photograph in which he was wearing anything yellowish rather i saw a photograph of him wearing that old looking jungle dress while posing somewhere in middle of desert with his troops and operation gear with him. However i did not ask him the reasons because he is quite "You bloody bastard civilian" type army officer even in house. :emot154:

BTW few pictures which raises the concerm

BMPs in Desert camo, T-72 in desert camo then why not this soldier is in desert camo?

In Thar wearing same old jungle camo!

ALH in yellow, jeep in yellow but not the soilder!

Just for comparison, Pakistani Army troops in desert.

Last edited:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
These pictures definitely show that IA soldiers do not have the right camo for desert ops. What are the army brass thinking? Or is it "unimportant" till a war starts and our soldiers start dying?
it's a shame that even Pakistani soldiers have better Camo!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Pakistan Army uniform.

Pakistani military uniforms closely resemble those of the British armed services. The principal colors are greenish brown for the army, navy blue for the navy, and light blue for the air force. Brown and black camouflage fatigues are commonly worn by army troop units.

Pak Army

The uniform as we see worn by the Pak Army is khaki! Similar to the desert colour!

Rage

DFI TEAM
The IA definitely needs a new camo for the desert sands.

I very much like the MARPAT camo of the US marines:

These countries have a long history of developing camoflauge. So, we needn't be discouraged. Taking something from them would work well.

But I also like the Flecktarn pattern of the German Bundeswehr:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flecktarn

I don't know how rigorous our testing is. But I think new patterns must be tried at an Army Snipers school as well as thru something like an HOSS before being evaluated on the field.

Plus I've seen pics like these:

Which means that at least some soldiers, or officers, of desert / plains regiments have desert - specific camos.

The old BDU's are not that bad though, given the right light. You can see that under the hot bright light of the desert sun.

But "compromise" is not something you want when it comes to the lives of your soldiers and citizens.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Plus I've seen pics like these:

I am not sure if this officer in desert camo is from army. Looking at his 'HAT' i guess, he is probably from ITBP also there is no patch on right shoulder.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am not sure if this officer in desert camo is from army. Looking at his 'HAT' i guess, he is probably from ITBP also there is no patch on right shoulder.

One in the Para beret is Lt Gen Pattabhiraman.

The other is in the floppy is possibly Nandrajog.

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
What is the role of camouflage for the average infantry soldier (not talking about SFs here)?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Sorry for lazy copy+paste reply.

Military camouflage became an essential part of modern military tactics after the increase in accuracy and rate of fire of weapons during the 19th century. Until the 19th century, armies tended to use bright colors and bold, impressive designs. These were thought to daunt the enemy, foster unit cohesion, allow easier identification of units in the fog of war, and attract recruits. In addition, bright uniforms, such as the red coats formerly used by the British, tended to deter desertion.
Conversely, the intent of camouflage is to disrupt an outline by merging it with the surroundings, making a target harder to spot or hit, or to confuse an observer as to its nature. Different countries have undergone different evolutionary stages towards the development of military camouflage.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What is the role of camouflage for the average infantry soldier (not talking about SFs here)?
Why things are seen:

Shape
Shadow
Shine
Silhouette
Surface
Movement

Well actually, this is the basic lesson that we are taught as cadets in the Camouflage and Concealment series.

There are 7 'S' and one 'M'.

It slips my mind as to what are the other 2 'S'.

In fact, though raunchy in content, Lt Col Bunny Malhotra of The Guards, who was our Battalion Commander in the NDA, told us never to forget 'why things are seen' and to take action to prevent being seen. He told us never to forget the 7 'S' and one 'M' by remember that there are but 7 Salyes (cuss word brothers in law) and one 'Mam-mey' (female lactating gland!). So, I remember that, but have forgotten the two 'S'!!! The power of profanity I presume!

Therefore, camouflage and concealment means that you should ensure that these aspects do not expose you and your equipment.

It is applicable for all.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles