Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have seen new camo ( French look alike ) induce in Indian Army, The decisions was taken by Army coz those days the leaf camo was used by Army as well as paramilitary which create confusion in local people as well as Human rights, Resulting unwanted troubles for IA.

When the new camo was induced in Army, reaction were different, the one who are in cities see it as a eye candy, where as equally same and opposite views were observed within field men and officers, the new camo glows like a torch in heavily vegetated areas, It was so attractive and glowing that it don't suit to any Indian environment, that's why we see CT operators like RR mostly in old Camo..

I think we need to include a new camo which will be act like as a eye candy also a practical in both light and dark environments , also make IA men separate from Paramilitary groups..

***Members pls do give their opinion and Ideas abt better IA camo.. ***

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
i seriously don't like Army using same Jangle Camouflage uniform for mountain warfare and desert. Especially in desert where because of this deep green camouflage our soldiers will become more visible because of this popularly known as 'Jungle Dress'. Army needs to introduce yellow camo (similar to one US troops wear in Iraq) for deserts and grey-green-black camouflage (similar to one wear by US troops in Afganistan) for mountain warfare.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
My Idea is to get Multicam as their are other type of multicams available for desert and Jungles..

Besides troopers can use their Old camos..

plugwater

I really don know what is new in this camo..

But i thought this is the new camo waiting for induction in army after 2010

this is the new camo used by our paras in yudh abhyas 2010.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I wholeheartedly agree that we need better camos. Using a dull and dead pattern over and over again is kind of a glam-killer. IA also needs its share of glamour. What irritates me is that why isn't IA opting for digital camos?

They can use different camo patterns like:

SNOW PATTERN

DESERT PATTERN

FOREST PATTERN (STANDARD ISSUE--SAID ABOVE)

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
how this orange mixed camo is gonna to give edge when engaged in jungle operations?

Agantrope

Need some of these kinds in the NE region for snipers and Assault group. Known as Ghillie suit and used by the US Army after they got their hands burnt in the Vietnam

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I wholeheartedly agree that we need better camos. Using a dull and dead pattern over and over again is kind of a glam-killer. IA also needs its share of glamour. What irritates me is that why isn't IA opting for digital camos?

They can use different camo patterns like:

SNOW PATTERN

DESERT PATTERN

FOREST PATTERN (STANDARD ISSUE--SAID ABOVE)

Indian Army Already use Snow Camo ( Mono type )..

Indian Army dont field any desert type but Gen here wereing some sort of desert one..

Regarding jungle i like the new camo call hyperstealth but no one have picture of it in field use so its hard to decide abt its effectiveness, till then i like multicam..

this is the new camo used by our paras in yudh abhyas 2010.

I seriously didn't like the half german and half french camo used by Indian troops on International war games..

Need some of these kinds in the NE region for snipers and Assault group. Known as Ghillie suit and used by the US Army after they got their hands burnt in the Vietnam

Indian Army already operate Ghillie suits for use in jungle as well as desert..

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One must not get deceived by photographs.

Using the correct background, light and shade any camouflage dress can be made to appear very effective.

Camouflage designs are based on scientific inputs.

Glamour is required in uniforms that are not used for combat i.e. daily use in peace. mess dress etc. This is to make it attractive and impressive so that it has a lasting effect on the population, whereby they are attracted by the uniform and join the Forces.

Many opted for the Armoured Corps since they had very attractive and unique mess dress and the Guards had very interesting brass buttons, even for their daily use uniform, in an interesting asymmetry that made it very singular.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Techniques of employing Camouflage, Cover and Concealment (CCD)
Hiding, blending, disguising, disrupting, and decoying

CCD is an essential part of tactical operations. It must be integrated into METT-TC analyses and the IPB process at all echelons. CCD is a primary consideration when planning OPSEC. The skillful use of CCD techniques is necessary if a unit is to conceal itself and survive. A general knowledge of CCD methods and techniques also allows friendly troops to recognize CCD better when the enemy uses it. The table below lists the five general techniques of employing CCD (hiding, blending, disguising, disrupting, and decoying).

METT-TC

The following sets forth a METT-TC methodology to help determine CCD priorities:

Mission. The mission is always the first and most important consideration. CCD efforts must enhance the mission but not be so elaborate that they hinder a unit's ability to accomplish the mission.

Enemy. An enemy's RSTA capabilities often influence the camouflage materials and CCD techniques needed to support a unit's mission. Before beginning a mission, conduct an intelligence analysis to identify the enemy's RSTA capabilities.

Terrain and weather. The battlefield terrain generally dictates what CCD techniques and materials are necessary. Different terrain types or background environments (urban, mountain, forest, plains, desert, arctic) require specific CCD techniques.

Troops. Friendly troops must be well trained in CCD techniques that apply to their mission, unit, and equipment. A change in the environment or the mission often requires additional training on effective techniques. Leaders must also consider the alertness of troops. Careless CCD efforts are ineffective and may disclose a unit's location, degrade its survivability, and hamper its mission accomplishment. Intelligence analysis should address the relative detectability of friendly equipment and the target signatures that unit elements normally project.

Time. Time is often a critical consideration. Elaborate CCD may not be practical in all tactical situations. The type and amount of CCD needed are impacted by the time a unit occupies a given area, the time available to employ CCD countermeasures, and the time necessary to remove and reemploy camouflage during unit relocation. Units should continue to improve and perfect CCD measures as time allows.

Civilian considerations. From conflict to war and from tactical to strategic, civilians in the area of operation (AO) may be active or passive collectors of information. Commanders and their staffs should manage this collection capability to benefit the command and the mission.

Five general techniques of employing CCD explained:

Hiding:

Hiding is screening a target from an enemy's sensors. The target is undetected because a barrier hides it from a sensor's view. Every effort should be made to hide all operations; this includes using conditions of limited visibility for movement and terrain masking. Examples of hiding include:

* Burying mines.
* Placing vehicles beneath tree canopies.
* Placing equipment in defilade positions.
* Covering vehicles and equipment with nets.
* Hiding roads and obstacles with linear screens.
* Using battlefield obscurants, such as smoke.

Blending:

Blending is trying to alter a target's appearance so that it becomes a part of the background. Generally, it is arranging or applying camouflage material on, over, and/or around a target to reduce its contrast with the background. Characteristics to consider when blending include the terrain patterns in the vicinity and the target's size, shape, texture, color, EM signature, and background.

Disguising:

Disguising is applying materials on a target to mislead the enemy as to its true identity. Disguising changes a target's appearance so that it resembles something of lesser or greater significance. For example, a missile launcher might be disguised to resemble a cargo truck or a large building might be disguised to resemble two small buildings.

Disrupting:

Disrupting is altering or eliminating regular patterns and target characteristics. Disrupting techniques include pattern painting, deploying camouflage nets over selected portions of a target, and using shape disrupters (such as camouflage sails) to eliminate regular target patterns.

Decoying:

Decoying is deploying a false or simulated target(s) within a target's scene or in a position where the enemy might conclude that it has found the correct target(s). Decoys generally draw fire away from real targets. Depending on their fidelity and deployment, decoys will greatly enhance survivability.

Reference: Compiled from various portions of FM 20-3 Camouflage, Concealment and Decoys
This is a very general guide.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
The best camo is always to stick couple twigs and leaves in your dress.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
One must not get deceived by photographs.

Using the correct background, light and shade any camouflage dress can be made to appear very effective.

Camouflage designs are based on scientific inputs.
@Ray Sir,
I agree those photographs are indeed taken in perfect light and perfect background, But again the New Camo of IA is useless in Indian environment, We are using two different Jungle Camos, mostly in cities the glamorous French looking Camo and in CT ops the old one, Isn't its better to have a single jungle camo?, The new camo is filled with larger patterns or large blotches of colors are easier to see from far as well as close where small micro-patterns used in old camo was harder to see in Indian vegetation, My argument is to have a modern micro-pattern camo with colors of our own choice, Such pattern are available for example Multicam, marpet, Cadpet, arid etc..

This pattern are practical as well as good looking..

French / Indian camo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_camouflage_patterns

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The problem of Camouflage uniform in India is not really the design and the disruptive pattern, but the standardisation.

Since the Govt Issue fades in no time, one buys cloth that is available of a similar design (as close to it) and gets it sitched.

Even in an unit, one can find a great variety and one can do nothing since the clothing is issued as per the Life Cycle System.

As far as the Jungles are concerned, the jungles vary in composition.

There are places that have primary jungles and then there are those which are secondary forests. Therefore, the density if not similar and hence for a perfectionist, there will be a requirement of each type of forest and that too, within them, different types of camouflage consistent with the degree of growth and density!

It is financially not productive to have uniforms area specific, that too, when the areas are so energised in disparity.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The problem of Camouflage uniform in India is not really the design and the disruptive pattern, but the standardisation.

Even in an unit, one can find a great variety and one can do nothing since the clothing is issued as per the Life Cycle System.
I agree to some extend, But both patterns are available at local shops in market, Why would Men like to get older as well as new one together?, Yes Dress should be correct but sir soldiers / Officers do avoid wearing odd uniforms where his mates are using regular type, He certainly don't want to be center of attention, Its come from inside, Regarding other branch like AMC, AD and others, i cant say the same thing for sure..

Sir, but pattern are same, its just some of them are dark-ones and some are light?..

As far as the Jungles are concerned, the jungles vary in composition.

There are places that have primary jungles and then there are those which are secondary forests. Therefore, the density if not similar and hence for a perfectionist, there will be a requirement of each type of forest and that too, within them, different types of camouflage consistent with the degree of growth and density!
Indeed Sir, Their are different jungles in India mostly are light and some are thicker specially in NE, to counter such things the camo have lighter also have dark colors acting together which do create confusion in both light and thick vegetation for enemy, Also its true that no Camo can provide 100% camouflage in every scenario..

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Indian Army dont field any desert type but Gen here wereing some sort of desert one..

I think he took one from ITBP laundry or he might be deputed to ITBP for special purpose. BTW most interesting is that background is all lush green tropical type, so even if its his, he is still not in right required camouflage. Most surprising is that both BSF and ITBP issues desert camouflage for deserts but Army still not.

ITBP's female recruits.

The officer on right is from ITBP overseeing training of his troops under deputation to NDMA. His desert camo looks quite similar to one you have posted.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indian Army does have desert camouflage uniform and so are its vehicles of desert units painted so!

The photo must have been from one of those areas which are being de-desertified.

The Maj Gen may have been from a Corps HQ where the op area contains deserts and semi desert areas and on a tour/ reecc, having come by helicopter.

He would not have borrowed a uniform from ITBP.

If a Tibetan Border Police can have desert uniform, would it not be surprising that Indian Army which is deployed for the desert don't have them and wear OGs?

Is that what is the latest happening in the IA? I would not know.

Also have a look at those chaps in the background. The photo has been taken very close, if they were at some distance, would they be seen so clearly?

Lastly, more than camouflage, the skilful use of ground is what is most important. This is what is actually not been paid attention to, since it appears to be very basic and not exciting!

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Why are you looking for glamoures camo ? it ain't made for glamour.
I was simply joking dude. Seriously I meant that it is important for army to be well hidden from the enemy especially in open combat theaters. Multicamos and digital pattern camos are a long time pending requirement for our armed forces.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Indian Army does have desert camouflage uniform and so are its vehicles of desert units painted so!
I will be great-full if you post one picture. BTW till this date i have seen Army soldiers wearing those green fatigues in deserts.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles