Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Boots should be wooden brown instead and desert camo color or light gray ( sky like not white ) for different terrain.

The rifles need camo too .

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I disagree.
Kestrel orders would be limited to Recce and Support Battalions unless Indian Army decides to convert some Light Infantry Units into a "Heavy Infantry" unit. Right now, as far as I know, Indian Army doctrine doesn't employ APCs or any Heavy Infantry classification at all (other than in the recce role where we have BRDM, and again, BRDM is to be replaced by NAMICA for now).
Currently, Recce and Support Battalions are rather few (one per RAPID, I think). But I am tempted to believe that after the new realignment to Integrated Battle Group-based formations, maybe the Indian Army will think of having a Recce and Support Battalion in each IBG. This belief stems from the fact that both the US Army and PLA Ground Forces have this ORBAT. In the US Army each Brigade Combat Team (be it Armoured, Stryker, Airborne, Air Assault or Light Infantry) has a Cavalry squadron that acts as the Reconnaissance element. Similarly, in the PLA Ground Forces, each Combined Arms Brigade (be it Heavy, Medium, Light, Amphibious or Mountain) has a corresponding Reconnaissance Battalion.
But then again, while both PLAGF Combined Armed Brigades and US Army Brigade Combat Teams are trying to achieve modularity, Indian Integrated Battle Groups, on the other hand, are planning to be go in the exact opposite direction by specializing to a particular terrain and tasking. So there might be a similar doctrinal difference that might cause number of Recce and Support Battalions to not grow, although I still feel it will happen even though nobody knows the ORBAT of these new Integrated Battle Groups.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles