Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
There is nothing wrong with L1 procurement system per say, without L1 system the scope for corruption increases. let’s say L1 price 100 ₹ and L2 price is 150₹, L2 has more money to spend on lobbying because of the margins built into the quotation price

in DPP 2016, MoD has remedied this scenario by saying if L1 fails to deliver/ sign contract within stipulated time frame, MoD has the option to offer the contract to L2 but at L1 price. as far as I know this scenario is yet to play out in any procurement yet, since this will be applicable to tenders issued after 2016 only.

There is an aspect of procurement that is not talked about by journalists, perhaps for the fear of getting cancelled by those companies. during a tendering process, other parties in the RPQ or tender phase will raise objects about L1, which halts the procurement from going forward. for Ex: Mahindra’s objections stalled LSV procurement process in early days. this is business. swedes stalled VSHORAD procurement.

to counter this delay, the current gov is ensuring the development/certification process private or PSU products of the same category.

this is generic overview, if you want anything specific let me know.
Thank you for the detailed answer, are there any other more efficient methods used in other nations but at the same time ensure less scope for corruption? I remembe the CEO of Tonbo Imaging a few years ago saying that a deal for a specific number of thermal devices with the Philippines was concluded in a matter of weeks after winning a tender, whereas a similar deal in India would have taken months or years to conclude, is that another area we need to improve and why do we take so long? I don’t think it can be only funds as even Philippine’s struggles for funds every single year for their defence budget.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Thank you for the detailed answer, are there any other more efficient methods used in other nations but at the same time ensure less scope for corruption? I remembe the CEO of Tonbo Imaging a few years ago saying that a deal for a specific number of thermal devices with the Philippines was concluded in a matter of weeks after winning a tender, whereas a similar deal in India would have taken months or years to conclude, is that another area we need to improve and why do we take so long? I don’t think it can be only funds as even Philippine’s struggles for funds every single year for their defence budget.
emergency procurement will reduce the timelines drastically, but that can only be used for small purchases not For major items. emergency procurement cannot be used continuously without a emergency situation on hand.

As far as Philippines deal with Tonbo goes, we need to find out whether that particular deal was funded by Philippines govt or US coalition support fund. if it was CSF there will be less scrutiny, since it is not tax payers money.

Not just in Indian Govt, in any govt across the world, new industry will face some problems until an precedent is established. even if Tonbo has nice things to say about current govt, media houses will either not print it at all or suppress it in one line in some article.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
There were some reports of a wierd snow camo that indian army adopted as standard any one has any pics?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles