Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Indian made combat vests cost peanuts, around 300 INR. They don't have the provision to insert plates. Our Jawans won't buy anything that costs money, doesn't matter what is their pay. The officers might want to buy good stuff but unfortunately no firm in this country makes them. I myself never had a tactical plate carrier and wore BP plates may be only in 10% of all the ops I went to. Sad but true. Absolutely no good plate carriers and rucks/ tactical bags.
Had you heard of Armasen Tactical when you were in service? I understand if you do not want to comment about them as they are your competitors right now. They're a company based in Delhi.
Do take a look at their website.
And their instagram,

rkhanna

Country flag
Indian made combat vests cost peanuts, around 300 INR. They don't have the provision to insert plates. Our Jawans won't buy anything that costs money, doesn't matter what is their pay. The officers might want to buy good stuff but unfortunately no firm in this country makes them. I myself never had a tactical plate carrier and wore BP plates may be only in 10% of all the ops I went to. Sad but true. Absolutely no good plate carriers and rucks/ tactical bags.
How much does the lack of such basic equipment prevent you from getting the maximum out of the training imparted ? Or is training also a function of equipment at hand ?

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

Fire and groove

Country flag
5.56 coming out of an 8 inch barrel wouldn't have the velocity and velocity is what makes 5.56 tumble and create a mess of a wound
That isn't entirely true, the bullet variant you're using matters. Plus at close range the "lethality" isn't really that important, you're supposed to shoot till the guy drops dead and stops moving, and even then it doesn't hurt to dead check. On the other hand, having a shorter barrel means better maneuvering of the rifle and space as well as lesser fatigue holding it up. Plus it helps even more if you plan to attach a suppressor at some point

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
That isn't entirely true, the bullet variant you're using matters. Plus at close range the "lethality" isn't really that important, you're supposed to shoot till the guy drops dead and stops moving, and even then it doesn't hurt to dead check. On the other hand, having a shorter barrel means better maneuvering of the rifle and space as well as lesser fatigue holding it up. Plus it helps even more if you plan to attach a suppressor at some point
.223 which the 5.56 was based on was designed for a 20 inch barrel.10.3 inch is the most a 5.56 weapon can go and it is validated by testing by SOCOM.smaller barrel has a lot of cons that out weigh their pros.because of the unburned powder the muzzle flash would be out of the world.

Fire and groove

Country flag
.223 which the 5.56 was based on was designed for a 20 inch barrel.10.3 inch is the most a 5.56 weapon can go and it is validated by testing by SOCOM.smaller barrel has a lot of cons that out weigh their pros.because of the unburned powder the muzzle flash would be out of the world.
Again, bullet variants matter. An M855A1 has different flight characteristics and terminal ballistics than a Mk262 mod 1. And a good suppressor will still dramatically cut down on muzzle flash.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
We keep whining about the procurement process of MoD and in the case of this thread, indian army , but can anyone tell me in complete seriousness how it works? And how do other countries handle procurement? We’ve always complained of the L1 system saying it’s complicated and unfair to other firms, what are the other alternatives? Could someone help me understand
Thanks in advance

Fire and groove

Country flag
We keep whining about the procurement process of MoD and in the case of this thread, indian army , but can anyone tell me in complete seriousness how it works? And how do other countries handle procurement? We’ve always complained of the L1 system saying it’s complicated and unfair to other firms, what are the other alternatives? Could someone help me understand
Thanks in advance
That's the thing, it doesn't work 😂

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
That's the thing, it doesn't work 😂
I've specifically mentioned I would appreciate only serious answers to exactly understand what are the problems we face, so if you've got something to say in that regard please do, if not keep it to your self.
Thank you.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
I've specifically mentioned I would appreciate only serious answers to exactly understand what are the problems we face, so if you've got something to say in that regard please do, if not keep it to your self.
Thank you.
In L1 all trials are done and finally of all the systems that passes the tests the cheapest one is selected.it can be advantageous in overall putting prices down.other way instead of going for the cheapest system send both the final weapons to some frontline soldiers and ask which weapon do they want like americans did with the SCAR program.but as the FN scar look futuristic troops selected it over colt ar15 rifle and we all know what happened to FN scar

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Thanks in advance
There is nothing wrong with L1 procurement system per say, without L1 system the scope for corruption increases. let’s say L1 price 100 ₹ and L2 price is 150₹, L2 has more money to spend on lobbying because of the margins built into the quotation price

in DPP 2016, MoD has remedied this scenario by saying if L1 fails to deliver/ sign contract within stipulated time frame, MoD has the option to offer the contract to L2 but at L1 price. as far as I know this scenario is yet to play out in any procurement yet, since this will be applicable to tenders issued after 2016 only.

There is an aspect of procurement that is not talked about by journalists, perhaps for the fear of getting cancelled by those companies. during a tendering process, other parties in the RPQ or tender phase will raise objects about L1, which halts the procurement from going forward. for Ex: Mahindra’s objections stalled LSV procurement process in early days. this is business. swedes stalled VSHORAD procurement.

to counter this delay, the current gov is ensuring the development/certification process private or PSU products of the same category.

this is generic overview, if you want anything specific let me know.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles