Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

ManhattanProject

Country flag
That picture you posted is of a real eotech (and his dust cover is closed) so it's mounted correctly. If the army has Eotechs then it's correctly mounted, if they're some other brand it's likely it's backwards. It isn't uncommon for that to happen either, you'll see it in US army pictures even.

Good to know about the units though, thank you
just admit you were wrong and move on.

Killbot

Country flag
Looks like he took inspiration from ACR.

This be the most optimum design for modern battle rifles so I'm not suprised.
Nope, the AR-15 platform is the best design for a standard modern combat rifle. Or something on the lines of the AR-15.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
During a interview in defence expo 2020, he said short stroke gas piston with non reciprocating charging handle and ambidextrous control.

So astr rifle definitely has ACR influence both from outside and inside.
PS: most modern developed guns are moving towards short gas piston systems. Long stroke and direct impingement are slowly losing favour in the firearm industry. G3 style Roller delayed blowback has long gone and you only find it among some sub machine guns nowadays.

Killbot

Country flag
Long stroke and direct impingement are slowly losing favour in the firearm industry
You've definitely not heard of Kalashnikov concern then. Or low end AR-15s. Pretty much every SAW in use now is a Long stroke piston based weapon.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Nope, the AR-15 platform is the best design for a standard modern combat rifle. Or something on the lines of the AR-15.
I believe ar-15 does allow modularity on a large scale with lots of accessories mounting options than say AKs, FALs, G36 etc.
However, direct impingement is slowly losing favour in us military and they are moving towards short stroke gas piston systems like hk 416s.
This is because for DI systems to work efficiently, you need a certain minimum length of the gas tube, which is not possible with short barrel rifles. Hence losing a lit bit of accuracy, but moving towards more reliability, low maintainance and hassle free high cyclic rate of fire.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
You've definitely not heard of Kalashnikov concern then. Or low end AR-15s. Pretty much every SAW in use now is a Long stroke piston based weapon.
SAW/LMG/GPMG type machine guns are a different matter altogether. There long stroke gas pistons rule the game. It has been that way for a very long time, due to it's reliability.
I on the other hand was taking about assault rifles, where short stroke is gaining more and more acceptability.

operatorgrumby

Country flag
View attachment 72527
Look at that GHATAK Commando
MKU Hetmet with mount & rails plus lightweight plate carrier
The best i can guess is, All those things are bought from OLIVE PLANET on personal level by himself.
1.That's a Rothco Combat Jacket
2.Plate Carrier-Rothco or maybe something else from anywhere else in desert camo
3.Helmet not so sure
4.MFH Tactical Gloves

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Because Long Stroke gas piston is very reliable and SAW are mean’t to be reliable as it is a force multiplier for a squad.

Killbot

Country flag
I believe ar-15 does allow modularity on a large scale with lots of accessories mounting options than say AKs, FALs, G36 etc.
However, direct impingement is slowly losing favour in us military and they are moving towards short stroke gas piston systems like hk 416s.
This is because for DI systems to work efficiently, you need a certain minimum length of the gas tube, which is not possible with short barrel rifles. Hence losing a lit bit of accuracy, but moving towards more reliability, low maintainance and hassle free high cyclic rate of fire.
I meant piston operated AR-15 based systems. Specifically like the Sig MCX platform. The mechanism is pretty different from that of AR-15, though. But that is probably the most modular and one of the most reliable platforms on the market today. But systems like the HK-416 will also do.

Edit: sorry my reply was contradictory to what I posted earlier.

By low end AR-15 I meant civilian market one s under $600. Those use DI and aren't going away anytime soon.

You are right about SSP guns being the new trend wrt military rifles.

Last edited:

Killbot

Country flag
Because Long Stroke gas piston is very reliable and SAW are mean’t to be reliable as it is a force multiplier for a squad.
A gun is useless if it isn't reliable. And SAW use long stroke pistons.

Just on a side note, a SAW will be almost as accurate as a DMR, courtesy of the heavy contour barrel.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Incidentally on an AR-15 type platform, H&K was not the first to introduce the short stroke gas piston system with their HK-416. It was Patriot Ordance factor (POF), USA. This led to a mini revolution of sorts, and there are many manufacturers in US, like Sigs today with similar offerings. Even the POF gun has evolved into gen3 version.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Denel NTW-20 with IA, I am guessing this is a rare sighting.
Very few were bought, I have hold one with my hands last year when I was in New Dekhi, Denels, Carl Gustavs, INSAS, Ghillie suits, Dragunovs, Pika LMG etc ... and ya borors too.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles