Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Killbot

Country flag
Agree with all the points.But still Galil will cost u 1200 USD min.Compare the proce of it with that of a Bulgarian M5F41 or Ak203 once we start mass production of it after the import of first batch of 50000 rifles.The prices will fall to somewhat in the range of 600-700 USD at max.Do the math whether these extra dollars fetch that much advantage for a 7.62x39 mm gun? Please do google why SAS chose to stay with Colt C-8 instead of buying Hk416 or why Deltas, Rangers and Green berets stick with M4s instead of replacing it with Hks.Same is the case here.
If you are going to buy a better one then there will always be one somewhere else.But its not the point, the point is whether the selected one is reliable, could it shoot straight and is the price right.In that sense Ak203 is good, though i still feel we could have bought or license produced milled receiver Bulgarian M5F41s.But then there is element of geo politics involved. We have to satisfy everyone. As far as Israelis are concerned they got orders for Negev, and remember they sold 12000+ X-95s to Capfs which were too costly and are of not much practical value for the units which it is distributed to. As far as Bulgarians are concerned they had sold more Aks than anyone else in India and then its the turn of Russians.Also to satisfy common man in UP there is a need to make a new factory there.(vote bank politics). Dont know whats the issue of production in Ishapore.
Regarding the bold part, price of ACE will also drop if substantial orders are given.

True, the M5F41s will be less expensive, but OFB is quoting ₹85,000 for AK 103. That's $1149. You can just pay $50-$150 for a better rifle. If it was the actual AK 203, then the $1149 price tag would be justified, if you factored the political BS in.

But, no point whining now, the deal will be sealed in December. So I guess just live with whatever you get. Still, how the OFB degenerate cunts scam the taxpayer and military is so fucking frustrating.

Please edit/delete if inappropriate.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
How do u compare Beryl, with Ak203 and milled receiver Arsenal M5F41.All these three are good options, but i really wished OFB would have dared to copy of a tactical Vz58 instead of making cheap knockoffs like Ghatak. But politics is politics.
Anyway opposed to many members view that we should have gone for GalilAce instead of Ak203, indont think buying a $1700 rifle bring that much leap forward advantages.
How do u think Kalashnikov wished the issue of holding zero in the receiver with top rail? If Bulgarians had succeeded in that a Milled receiver M5F41 was a better one than a stamped Ak203.
Also please do make a post on Ak15/12/19.
Anyway good work man, you are putting in good efforts which is reflected in ur writings 👍👍
Thank you bhai for praise.

As for your question on Beryl vs Ak-203 and Arsenal M5F41, i am of an opinion that they are basically same Kalashnikov made in different countries so except in certain points (for e.g. Furniture,Firing mode - in Beryl which has got 3 round burst with semi-auto and full auto and fire selector is on left side) overall performance is mostly similar,mainly because all these were former soshialist cuntries that got ;technological package; from मादर Rossiya (though yes it's a point to consider how they did production under stretched supply line in certain cases).

For more detailed explanation,i believe in doing background check of these variants and i could explain in detail how-they-did-that with pics and videos but 😥 i'm kinda limited in terms of time as life's progressing and more responsibilites are being burdened on me...Maybe in future i'd try to give detailed explanations.
For now all i can tell you is to keep checking different forums like "AKfiles","TheAKForum","M16 dot net","FALFiles","UziTalk" etc etc and try to search your queries there,chances are someone already may have replied required ans there.Also read instruction manuals,journals,books etc on firearms (for e.g. Ian V. Hogg's books are quite good) to get some more idea, try to imagine how a particular firearm works and of course Youthoob is your fren with guys like Larry Vickers,Ian Mcollum (of Forgotten Weapons),MAC guy,IraqVeteran8888,MrGunsnGear,FPSRussia,Jerry Michulek,Hicock45 and so explaining things.

As for Vz.58 vs AK,I'm kinda more inclined towards AK than Vz because despite rifle having advantages over AK (e.g. smoother operation with lighter recoil,even for same 7.62x39mm, more tactical features, easy to upgrade as it just requires swapping furnitures or top cover etc while AK's buttstock upgrade alone requires some consideration sourcing parts) it's action is more open than AK so fouling could jam that rifle (compare internals of Vz with AK fo that), albeit making it more sealed (by properly closing that big ejection opening on it) could be a nice idea and then it would be a good alternative to AK.

As for Kalashnikov's top rail and zeroing issue etc it's big effing thing to answer because it is related with whole AK-200/AK-12 saga...sadly i'm limited to explain it further,you'll have to find the answer from sources i mentioned above.

Still i will try my best to explain everything in detail with pictures/videos whenever i get some free time,maybe make a thread on that all.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Galil ACE has a left side charging handle. Kalash has it on right side.. It also has ambidextrous safety. AK has it on the right side. AK is actually harder to shoot for a right hander compared to lefty.

And, we'll be getting picatinny rails on 3,6,9 and 12 o clock positions for handguard and on dust cover. Dust cover locking mechanism is very rigid compared to AK, which makes it a very stable optics platform. Historically, AK top covers have been very unstable to mount optics on. That is why there are side rails and stuff. Optics on AK will lose zero very fast.

ACE is very sealed off. I.e, it let's very less dust in the action compared to AK. This is possible due to the top cover locking system, as I said, and a trapdoor like system which acts as a dust cover on charging handle. Its lower reciever is made of polymer and upper is made of milled steel. Very durable.

Its gas block is much more friendly to different muzzle devices than AK. So, if you want to put a different flash hider or even a suppressor, you have that option. Suppressors do not work well with AKs. But this part is probably irrelevant as we won't so it.
And, it has a foldable and collapsible buttstock. OFB does not offer a collapsible one.

It is also worth noting that ACE, while by no means lightweight, is less heavy than 3.9 kg AK 103 at 3.7kg. This 200g difference is significant due to ACE's milled steel reciever is more robust than AK's stamped one. It also has a better magazine well, but that is a minor thing.

And, as I said earlier, it will cost about as much as the AK 103 from OFB. So it is a good bargain.

If the army wanted 5.56 version, it would have same features as 7.62 version plus it takes stanag magazines. It has a different magwell and has a bolt catch and bolt release. This means that when last round is fired and magazine is taken out, the bolt will stay in open position. You just put magazine back in and press a button which releases the magazine. Just like M4. You don't need to crank the charging handle.

ACE also uses aperture based iron sights. Much better sight radius and target id abilities than AK sights.

So, overall, Galil ACE has much better features than AK.

View attachment 65870

View attachment 65871

Iiilll
I'm of an opinion that Galil ACE = just another AK,whatever is there on ACE could easily be done with any AK (including INSAS) so i find it difficult to share same enthusiasm towards it.

Sure ACE is a better alternative to the kind of AK we're getting in name of AK-203 (?) but not very excited about it either.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
BTW regarding 6.8x43mm,
Round is good but the thing is certain manufacturing specifications are still owned by Remington Arms (that was original designer of that round under guidance of US SF) that they aren't willing to share w/o some *ahem* Royalties, so whoever is making proper military grade ammo for that has to pay them fair share to get technical guidance to get certain things done right.

So that is not so ideal scenario if we're aiming to move to a complete new round and firearms for that,'specially manufacturing it all here.

^THIS is one of the reason why US Armed Forces,despite having initial plans to switch to 6.8x43mm SPC later dropped it and continued with 5.56 NATO by developing new variants.They were offered ;parts kit; from Bushmaster (mainly new uppers with 6.8x43mm compatible barrels and bolt group) for this upgrade but...

6.5x39mm Grendel OTOH doesn't have this type of limitation from designers.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

As for your question on Beryl vs Ak-203 and Arsenal M5F41, i am of an opinion that they are basically same Kalashnikov made in different countries so except in certain points (for e.g. Furniture,Firing mode - in Beryl which has got 3 round burst with semi-auto and full auto and fire selector is on left side) overall performance is mostly similar,mainly because all these were former soshialist cuntries that got ;technological package; from मादर Rossiya (though yes it's a point to consider how they did production under stretched supply line in certain cases).

For more detailed explanation,i believe in doing background check of these variants and i could explain in detail how-they-did-that with pics and videos but 😥 i'm kinda limited in terms of time as life's progressing and more responsibilites are being burdened on me...Maybe in future i'd try to give detailed explanations.
For now all i can tell you is to keep checking different forums like "AKfiles","TheAKForum","M16 dot net","FALFiles","UziTalk" etc etc and try to search your queries there,chances are someone already may have replied required ans there.Also read instruction manuals,journals,books etc on firearms (for e.g. Ian V. Hogg's books are quite good) to get some more idea, try to imagine how a particular firearm works and of course Youthoob is your fren with guys like Larry Vickers,Ian Mcollum (of Forgotten Weapons),MAC guy,IraqVeteran8888,MrGunsnGear,FPSRussia,Jerry Michulek,Hicock45 and so explaining things.

As for Vz.58 vs AK,I'm kinda more inclined towards AK than Vz because despite rifle having advantages over AK (e.g. smoother operation with lighter recoil,even for same 7.62x39mm, more tactical features, easy to upgrade as it just requires swapping furnitures or top cover etc while AK's buttstock upgrade alone requires some consideration sourcing parts) it's action is more open than AK so fouling could jam that rifle (compare internals of Vz with AK fo that), albeit making it more sealed (by properly closing that big ejection opening on it) could be a nice idea and then it would be a good alternative to AK.

As for Kalashnikov's top rail and zeroing issue etc it's big effing thing to answer because it is related with whole AK-200/AK-12 saga...sadly i'm limited to explain it further,you'll have to find the answer from sources i mentioned above.

Still i will try my best to explain everything in detail with pictures/videos whenever i get some free time,maybe make a thread on that all.
Thnks man, anyway among the pages u mentioned i occasionally browses the Ak files forum, Larry wickers, forgotten wewpons Misha's videos, Ak operators union etc.But no one has till date compared Beryl with Bulgarian ones or Ak103.
Once again thanks for giving a whole list many of which i had never heard before.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Regarding the bold part, price of ACE will also drop if substantial orders are given.

True, the M5F41s will be less expensive, but OFB is quoting ₹85,000 for AK 103. That's $1149. You can just pay $50-$150 for a better rifle. If it was the actual AK 203, then the $1149 price tag would be justified, if you factored the political BS in.

But, no point whining now, the deal will be sealed in December. So I guess just live with whatever you get. Still, how the OFB degenerate cunts scam the taxpayer and military is so fucking frustrating.

Please edit/delete if inappropriate.
The price quoted by OFB will come down, it also includes ToT, setting up cost etc.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

Dude one more doubt which i forgot to ask earlier, though it should have been posted in Assault rifle section.
Are the bulgarian Aks heavier than other stamped AkM versions.If not, how did they managed to cut the weight.
Also what about later Type 56 rifles, are those copies of Akms or Ak47s? Asking coz unlike many Akms i dont see any rivets over the dust cover of Type56s.

Killbot

Country flag
I'm of an opinion that Galil ACE = just another AK,whatever is there on ACE could easily be done with any AK (including INSAS) so i find it difficult to share same enthusiasm towards it.

Sure ACE is a better alternative to the kind of AK we're getting in name of AK-203 (?) but not very excited about it either.
AKs can be modded to be better than ACE as well but how many do we have here? Are 650,000 available? Who will make the mods? ACE is the best factory AK there is right now in terms of features.

Killbot

Country flag
BTW regarding 6.8x43mm,
Round is good but the thing is certain manufacturing specifications are still owned by Remington Arms (that was original designer of that round under guidance of US SF) that they aren't willing to share w/o some *ahem* Royalties, so whoever is making proper military grade ammo for that has to pay them fair share to get technical guidance to get certain things done right.

So that is not so ideal scenario if we're aiming to move to a complete new round and firearms for that,'specially manufacturing it all here.

^THIS is one of the reason why US Armed Forces,despite having initial plans to switch to 6.8x43mm SPC later dropped it and continued with 5.56 NATO by developing new variants.They were offered ;parts kit; from Bushmaster (mainly new uppers with 6.8x43mm compatible barrels and bolt group) for this upgrade but...

6.5x39mm Grendel OTOH doesn't have this type of limitation from designers.
6.8 won't work with AK platform rifles as well. Grendel will. Also 6.5 grendel has a much more flat trajectory, and loses less energy. In fact, it can deliver more energy on target at 600m that 7.62 nato. Excellent round.

Serbia is adopting an AK platform rifle in 6.5 Grendel...

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Dude one more doubt which i forgot to ask earlier, though it should have been posted in Assault rifle section.
Are the bulgarian Aks heavier than other stamped AkM versions.If not, how did they managed to cut the weight.
Also what about later Type 56 rifles, are those copies of Akms or Ak47s? Asking coz unlike many Akms i dont see any rivets over the dust cover of Type56s.
Yes bulgarian milled AKs are a little heavier because more material on receiver.To be honest Bulgarian Arsenal AKs are practically continuation of original milled receiver AK-47 of Type-3 pattern from their side with some little modernisation done on it.

As for Type-56,
it is choyneez kopy of AK-47 type 3,they received full set of materials such as product drawings, design calculations, dimensional chain calculations, test and inspection specifications, as well as process specifications, tooling materials and other process technical documents from the Soviet Union somewhere in 1950s.There are some differences between the two as the choyneez also modified base design as per their conveniences (most notably covering entire front iron sight base with cylindrical hood).As it was copy of AK-47 Type 3 (also milled receiver one) it's milled one but later in 1960s they did shift to stamped receiver like their ruskie kaamreds did with AKM

here is pic of both milled and stamped Type-56
1604859872425.png

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
It doesn’t.

Rather, the fact that Philippines, and even Cyprus, has a decently-equipped SF signifies the relative inconsequence of a well-equipped SF if the rest of the military is incapable, when viewed from the larger geopolitical/geostrategic lens.

Inconsequence means “having no important effects or influence”.

I showed that Philippines (apparently) does not even consider its well-equipped SF to be a big weapon because BrahMos is going to be its ‘first deterrent weapon’.

Please read my previous posts again.
its like the germans haviing some very powerful heavy panzers in ww2 that are more armoured and armed than general russian tanks but in the end only having a miniscule no of them to make any difference and having to rely on general purpose tanks and weapons like stugs and at guns for most of the tanks kills.while the russians did not have many gold plated designs in tanks they had enough of good enough to count in the results of the war.

most of these countries cannot and do not concentrate their efforts on large militaries with serious capabilities reaching usa/russia/india/china level depth in sophistication.in every branch of their military they will not have many platforms that are considered standard in those other militaries. so they concentrate on smaller parts which they can adequately form and equip properly and a special force infantry type is usually one of the areas where they pour in their money.they probaably wont use these forces successfully if any of these big countries for some reason decide to be aggressive against them like china is against phillipines.

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
It doesn’t.

Rather, the fact that Philippines, and even Cyprus, has a decently-equipped SF signifies the relative inconsequence of a well-equipped SF if the rest of the military is incapable, when viewed from the larger geopolitical/geostrategic lens.

I showed that Philippines (apparently) does not even consider its well-equipped SF to be a big weapon because BrahMos is going to be its ‘first deterrent weapon’.

In the indian context,i get the feeling that the sf needs to be heavily invested in but i dont think there will be a lot of bang for the buck we will put into them as the operations they can be put to use are not the ones that will promote strategic interest the most compared to what the same amt of effort can generate if poured into more conventional forces in all military branches.our main adversary is actually political islam or rather islam in pakistan,chinese occupational forces which if need to be defeated need large scale operational capability.

we all know our goals are to retake pok,cleanse kashmir and india of jihadi influence,getting back tibet and chinese occupied land,cleansing anti nationals within and these are more large scale general level operations (like wars) and they are not skirmishes or special operations.If we are ever to tackle pok and china,our conventional forces should be usa level raather than our special forces.sf will only be useful for a handful of things in there operaations if they are conducted.and the nature of political islam is that they can always replace bin laden even though temporarily it will be a loss for them.

that is my priority list and the things i worry about go in this order of importance )lesser to higher):

1.special squads in military and civilian spheres such as sf and certain political personalities.
(tip of the sphere)

2.general forces like army,navy,airforce.
(spear)

3.the info warfare landscape and laws favouring nationalists,propaganda,institutions,etc.
(the man holding the spear)

I am more worried about the latter than the former as in the indian context our nearest enemies requires destruction in depth rather than surgical strikes.both in civilian and military context : systems rather than heroes ,armies rather than squads,etc.

not saying that sf and other premium like forces should be not enhanced.they should definetily be grown and trained properly.it is just that i dont think the contribution they will have in achieving OUR nationalist objectives will be as high a proportion as some people here think.just my opinion.

do surgical operations help -> definitely ,but they should be pursued as small parts of larger systematic operations.

Last edited:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
AKs can be modded to be better than ACE as well but how many do we have here? Are 650,000 available? Who will make the mods? ACE is the best factory AK there is right now in terms of features.
1604868319995.png

We were having 1 Lakh of Romanian AKs alone in 1995,
then we have tonnes of Russians,East Germans,Hungarians,Bulgarians,Choyneez Type-56s and if we count desi ones like MRF-91 that were briefly procured then i belive number could easily exceed 5 Lakh in 2020

Source =
1604868467378.png

6.8 won't work with AK platform rifles as well.
:facepalm: bruh...That's bullshit!

What makes you think that 6.8x43mm couldn't be used with kalashnikov system ?! Just because AKs available in market aren't coming out chambered in that round ? That's because there isn't much market of 6.8x43mm out there and already AR platform has covered whatever little requirement of 6.8x43mm firearms is out there. Who would bother with creating an AK chambered in it under such scenario.

If you could make an AK in 5.56 NATO, 7.62 NATO,12 gauge slugs (Saiga 12),9mm Parabellum...Heck even in 7.92x57mm Mauser (Zastava M76) or 5.56x30mm MINSAS (Amogh,JVPC in hand), you can very well create an AK in 6.8x43mm, it just hasn't been done on big scale yet.

AZTEC

Country flag
OK. Let me try again. To prevent straw-man, I'll simply ask you:-
Do you think our Special Forces have a scope for improvement? If yes, why has it not been done yet?
Yes, of course! A lot of scope for improvement.

In my opinion, the reason why it hasn’t been done yet is a complex interplay of factors like: (Note: this list is not exhaustive)
- Bureaucratic indifference: IAS officers are smart but they are not military experts. They have to rely on the military to understand even the most basic ABCD of military stuff.
As of now, I don’t know anyone in MoD but I know many IAS officers from other ministries, so I can confirm this.

- Complex process of procurement: The process of procurement of military gear is extremely complex, and reforms have started now but they’re slow due to bureaucratic opposition. Yes, the bureaucracy usually opposes any move to dilute its powers.
This, for example, resulted in the procurement of MP-5 instead of the equally-priced MP-7 for NSG.

- Genuine lack of money: Please read my previous posts in the SF thread about per capita military budget (PCMB). This concept of PCMB can partially explain why India can’t buy NATO-level gear for its SF yet (although this will change in future as our economy grows).

- Priority for bigger things: I agree with what @Killbot said about why BrahMos can’t replace SF, but the fact is that bigger things need big-spending on a priority basis.

Some examples are naval fleet, nuclear arsenal, cyber-warfare, depleting fighter fleet, need to catch-up with China in key military technologies like hypersonics, etc. This list is long and goes on.

To illustrate what I am saying, let’s give you a very good example. In the great-power wars of the future, you will probably not see blitzkrieg-style tanks rolling across. Instead, the country with better cyber-warfare capabilities will cripple enemy’s financial sector and command and control systems, thereby rendering it incapable of fighting the war by sending tanks across.

I could have written more but I am feeling lazy right now.

Killbot

Country flag
View attachment 65915

We were having 1 Lakh of Romanian AKs alone in 1995,
then we have tonnes of Russians,East Germans,Hungarians,Bulgarians,Choyneez Type-56s and if we count desi ones like MRF-91 that were briefly procured then i belive number could easily exceed 5 Lakh in 2020

Source =
View attachment 65916

:facepalm: bruh...That's bullshit!

What makes you think that 6.8x43mm couldn't be used with kalashnikov system ?! Just because AKs available in market aren't coming out chambered in that round ? That's because there isn't much market of 6.8x43mm out there and already AR platform has covered whatever little requirement of 6.8x43mm firearms is out there. Who would bother with creating an AK chambered in it under such scenario.

If you could make an AK in 5.56 NATO, 7.62 NATO,12 gauge slugs (Saiga 12),9mm Parabellum...Heck even in 7.92x57mm Mauser (Zastava M76) or 5.56x30mm MINSAS (Amogh,JVPC in hand), you can very well create an AK in 6.8x43mm, it just hasn't been done on big scale yet.
Feeding issues like the ones in 5.56. But this was an old issue, it might have been rectified. AKs in 5.56 have significantly more failures to feed than ones in 7.62. That was why the AK 101/102 didn't sell all that well. Again, might be better now.

Also, 6.5 Grendel is based on 7.62 soviet. So, it will be a much better option, as it can use existing AK 47 pattern magazines.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
As for Type-56,
it is choyneez kopy of AK-47 type 3,they received full set of materials such as product drawings, design calculations, dimensional chain calculations, test and inspection specifications, as well as process specifications, tooling materials and other process technical documents from the Soviet Union somewhere in 1950s.There are some differences between the two as the choyneez also modified base design as per their conveniences (most notably covering entire front iron sight base with cylindrical hood).As it was copy of AK-47 Type 3 (also milled receiver one) it's milled one but later in 1960s they did shift to stamped receiver like their ruskie kaamreds did with AKM

here is pic of both milled and stamped Type-56
View attachment 65909
My bad.I know the difference between different Type -56s.But i thought smooth dust cover is a feature of a milled Ak exclusively and ribbed ones is a feature of AkM only.When ever i see a type 56, irrespective of milled ones or later ones all have smooth dust covers, so i was confused whether Type 56s are milled ones just like Bulgarians ones. Only today after checking some.sites i got to know that nowdays almost all the Aks comes with smooth dust covers and it didnt had to do with milled or stamped versions.
Sorry for the goof up.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
It doesn’t.

But how does this apply to us ? Since ours is indeed a capable and large military thus requiring a well equipped SF

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles