Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
The troops deserve a better AK, something more along the lines of the newest AK 12 (chambered in 762x39 of course). Far better iron sights and furniture.

AK-19 would have been a game changer weapon but idk from where did this 7.62x39mm cartridge came into consideration?

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
LoL 😂 Yes it does look like that I have noticed that as well. I don’t understand why the army didn’t use some practical designs instead of this IT Park looking building. It looks way to small to me to be a Army General Headquarters.
Ya'll Nibbiars Even the DRDO Bhavan is better than the Little AGH.

Ujjain

Country flag
The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) in it arms trade register documents a 2003 deal for supply of 250 launchers and 3,000 Kornet-E missiles. This has been affirmed by writing of Brigadier Gurmeet Kanwal (retd) where he mentioned induction of these missiles. It is generally believed that these missiles were imported after lesson learnt in employment of ATGMs in Kargil war. A missile like Kornet with heavy cum specialized warhead (thermobaric) will be able to take out the kind of fortified structures encountered during Kargil War.
Considering the relatively small number of launchers and missiles ordered, it is very likely that these were for specialized units like dedicated ATGM battalions (which existed earlier). But as explained in next section, ATGM units themselves have converted to tracked and wheeled Recce & Support (R&S) role.

It is not clear at present which arm - infantry or mechanized infantry - employs this potent missile.

(A.3.1) Missile details
9M113 Kornet (NATO reporting name: AT-14 ‘Spriggan’) is a heavy laser-beam riding ATGM which is meant to destroy the most well armoured tanks. It was developed as a successor to AT-4/AT-5 family of missiles with the objective of taking on the heavy western main battle tanks. But given the prize of the missile and state of Russian economy post 1991, one-on-one replacement was ruled out.
The missile has achieved fame, or notoriety, depending on who you speak to, for knocking out leading main battle tanks like US Abrams and Israeli Merkava. One of the main reasons ascribed to Hezbollah knocking out 40+ Israeli tanks during 2006 Lebanon invasion was use of Kornet-E missile.
The missile system consists of 9P163-1 portable launcher with 1P45-1 Sight Tracker, mechanical drives to steer the missile and 1PN79-1 Thermal Imager. The Kornet Missile comes in two configurations – 9M133-1 (anti-tank-HEAT-tandem warhead) and 9M133F-1 (thermobaric warhead for bunkers/fortified positions).
The missile weighs 29 kg with tube and the whole launcher with missile weights in excess of 50 Kg. The 1PN79-1 Thermal Imager itself weights more than 11 kg. Kornet-E is not exactly a man-portable system – it can be carried short-distance by a 2-man crew but needs a vehicle for longer range movement.
Infantry Units on the LOC have Kornet in their arsenal. They use them when an enemy bunker becomes a headache for them or for retribution for any casualty. But as far as I know they are pretty ineffective in dense vegetation and in an area with steep inclines and height.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars my Ideal AGH is like this.
View attachment 64819
It looks like an IT park, LOL!!
WE need something like the Pentagon, but then again we need $800 billion dollars as defence budget to even dream about it.
Mind you Pentagon construction started in 1941 and finished in 1943, just 2 years!! Meanwhile we have a potholes filled road near my house since I started going to my college, and that was 4 years ago!!

Haldilal

Country flag
It looks like an IT park, LOL!!
WE need something like the Pentagon, but then again we need $800 billion dollars as defence budget to even dream about it.
Mind you Pentagon construction started in 1941 and finished in 1943, just 2 years!! Meanwhile we have a potholes filled road near my house since I started going to my college, and that was 4 years ago!!
Ya'll Nibbiars ya then you mean something like Artdeco, Gothic style right?

Last edited:

Haldilal

Country flag
We will have to get Ambani into the fold for these buildings.
TBH we need something like pentagon.
The above hollonic Tower can be constructed under 3,000 crore. Even the Gothic tower can be constructed under 3,000 crores.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles