Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Killbot

Country flag
AK at full-auto would yeild a similar video with a rookie like that shooting. 😏
Because, old AKs don't have a muzzle device to reduce recoil. Compare AK 103/203 to SCAR. Muzzle device significantly reduces recoil.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Because, old AKs don't have a muzzle device to reduce recoil. Compare AK 103/203 to SCAR. Muzzle device significantly reduces recoil.
True. But, my point stands in this context.
Those muzzle-deviceless AKs with similar recoil served en masse & probably had been fired in full auto.

Nonetheless not combing Ak-203 with Sig-716 in each squad will be a supremely retarded thing to do... exactly the sort of retarded bullshit.... you'd expect....... Indian Army to do.............. :smash:

Killbot

Country flag
True. But, my point stands in this context.
Those muzzle-deviceless AKs with similar recoil served en masse & probably had been fired in full auto.

Nonetheless not combing Ak-203 with Sig-716 in each squad will be a supremely retarded thing to do... exactly the sort of retarded bullshit.... you'd expect....... Indian Army to do.............. :smash:
That would be a FUBAR beyond the current FUBAR. First off, if one squad member runs out of ammo, and his buddy has a different rifle, he's fucked.
Procuring the AK-203 is the biggest mistake army is making. Good luck training an infantry Jawan in on 3 different weapon systems. Carbine (AR 15), battle rifles (AR 10), and AK. And RIP logistics. What if they give AK ammo to a Jawan on LoC with a Sig... 🤣😭😭
That plus the armored corps...:cruisin2:
Well good luck IA. The AF has always been a zoo. Army is gonna become one soon.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
That would be a FUBAR beyond the current FUBAR. First off, if one squad member runs out of ammo, and his buddy has a different rifle, he's fucked.
Procuring the AK-203 is the biggest mistake army is making. Good luck training an infantry Jawan in on 3 different weapon systems. Carbine (AR 15), battle rifles (AR 10), and AK. And RIP logistics. What if they give AK ammo to a Jawan on LoC with a Sig... 🤣😭😭
That plus the armored corps...:cruisin2:
Well good luck IA. The AF has always been a zoo. Army is gonna become one soon.
That's a too critical view imo.

Almost 3-quarter of 20th century (2 WWs) it had always been a combination of SMG & battle-rifle... NATO combined assault rifles are now conbined with same caliber DMR & LMG, but Indian army already has 7.62×51/54 for the other two.

I don't know why AK-203 can't be used instead of another 5.56mm carbine.

Killbot

Country flag

Almost 3-quarter of 20th century (2 WWs) it had always been a combination of SMG & battle-rifle... NATO combined assault rifles are now conbined with same caliber DMR & LMG, but Indian army already has 7.62×51/54 for the other two.

Well the AK ammo is much heavier than 5.56 for one. And it has a low ballistic coefficient i.e it sucks beyond 350ish meters. Still, 7.62 would more than suffice for a CQB carbine. Another FUBAR.
Well each caliber is a tradeoff in terms of performance. So having dedicated calibers for each role does improve performance. But you've gotta weigh that with logistics. Its far from ideal as things stand now.
And a new caliber like 6.5 grendel or 6.8 SPC can replace 5.56, 7.62 soviet and 7.62 NATO.
.338 Lapua/Norma Magnum can replace .50 BMG HMG and 7.62 NATO GPMG and also be a sniper.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Well the AK ammo is much heavier than 5.56 for one. And it has a low ballistic coefficient i.e it sucks beyond 350ish meters. Still, 7.62 would more than suffice for a CQB carbine. Another FUBAR.
Indian soldiers carry 60-80 ammo only (Insas 20rd mag). Weight difference won't be significant, even for 90 AK rds.

And forget new callibers. India doesn't do new. Unless tested & battleproven by others we don't risk it... A prudent measure given our limited resources. For carbine roles 350m is enough.

Last edited:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
How does a Ghatak or TAR compare with the downgraded version of AK203, which we are getting in terms of range, accuracy and recoil?

Also, Insas gained a bad reputation in the army due to the pathetic manufacturing quality control issues by OFB. But the AK 203 which army wants is going to be manufactured in OFB factory only (apart from the first lot of 100k, which is a direct import).

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag

I feel A short barrel version of AK-203 should be used as a carbine.
something like AKS-74U.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I feel A short barrel version of AK-203 should be used as a carbine.
something like AKS-74U.
Why?.. It already has short effective range (Although 103/203 variqnt is demonstrated to atleast be accurate upto 500m).

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Why?.. It already has short effective range (Although 103/203 variqnt is demonstrated to atleast be accurate upto 500m).
Lol 😂
Accurate to 500 m, its bullet drop is horrific, I found why 6.8 ammunition is being slowly adopted.
2298BD8B-1064-469A-AD7D-78218AB83C9A.jpeg

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Oh. I'm not very knowledgeable on this. I just saw some videos of such demo. 🤷‍♂️
AK Rifles are excellent for short ranges, for 500 metres Russians made 5.45x39 mm as their standard cartridge, 7.62x39mm isn’t the standard issue for the Russian army who made the AK-47s how can we make it our standard issue?
6.8mm is best.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Indian soldiers carry 60-80 ammo only (Insas 20rd mag). Weight difference won't be significant, even for 90 AK rds.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
But that's overall, switching the ammo type wouldn't add more than few hundred grams... Not even a dent compared to 40kg.

JBH22

Lol.Noob or pro the bullet used is 7.62 Nato, so the recoil would be heavy when compared with even Ak.Its best suited only for long range

Well it seems Russkie bhaiya found the solution.
Ak 107 seems recoil less🤪

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Lol.Noob or pro the bullet used is 7.62 Nato, so the recoil would be heavy when compared with even Ak.Its best suited only for long range
not true, it also depends on the shooters skill, the weight of the gun, the operating mechanism, the type of powder used, the type of muzzle device used.
the person shooting in this video is a novice, you can tell by the way he was trying to find a place to hold the rifle with his supporting hand, he is also very small.
the scar17 is very light for a 308 rifle so without a muzzle break can have alot of recoil.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles