Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Well my skepticism towards their claims of it being indigenous on side for a second,

looks OK to me, like they provided a standard pistol grip + buttstock adapter for SVD to it thus making it possible to give it more ;Battle Rifle; like ergonomics,after that providing front handguards fastened on its default place i.e. on its barrel via those locking tabs and of course hinged top mounted rail that fastens on new pistol grip-buttstock adapter, setup doesn't seem so ideal to me for a long range sniper rifle but guess something's better than nothing, as long as they could make it stiff enough to not wobble it is fine.

Seems design is inspired from Arsenal M5F41 to me lol
View attachment 62624

BTW a sidenote,remember this pic ? probably taken at yudh abhyas or some other exercise...

View attachment 62627
^this upgrade was done by FAB guys with their pattern of pistol grip-buttstock adapter + collapsible buttstock with adjustable cheek piece and of course railed handguards (here covered by sectional rail covers)

They were *this* near to provide us full upgrade package for SVD as well but seems they didn't bother much with top rails much else they might've got the contract who knows.
Actually the top rail of M5F41 was taken/inspired from beryl iirc.
Whats the practical issue with the side rail adapter system provided by Fab instead of a full top rail? Galil too have the same system.We can mount the scope on the side rail plus if there is thermals then it could be mounted on the top of handguards.Seems that both would cowitness

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Until this thing is ordered and inducted into domestic ops in India it's hard to get too excited but it is great to see it out there in the field and hopefully this will lead to successes on the domestic front.

There's a huge market for this kind of vehicle between the army and CAPFs

CISF has ordered the Renault Sherpa that must cost significantly more than this for protecting airports, CRPF has also inducted Sherpas into JK

All those up-armoured Gypsys have to be replaced sooner or later

No, unrelated
gypsies will probably have to stay to navigate thru narrow gullies.

GunDeGunday

Country flag
Actually the top rail of M5F41 was taken/inspired from beryl iirc.
Whats the practical issue with the side rail adapter system provided by Fab instead of a full top rail? Galil too have the same system.We can mount the scope on the side rail plus if there is thermals then it could be mounted on the top of handguards.Seems that both would cowitness
This is honestly a complex issue. Guns that have receivers like the AK - where you open the top cover and remove it entirely(incl. Dragunov) have this limitation.

If you want to field strip a side-mount gun then the scope will have to be removed if it's in the way of the cover and depending on the kind of mount and optic you may or may not lose Zero.

In top rail, again removing the top cover and putting it back is something you'll have to do if you want to field strip it. You will lose your scope/sight's Zero when you do that because there is 'play' involved in the components when they're removed and refitted especially on a top rail system.

One way to avoid having to remove the side-mounted optic is to have it offset so it's clear of the top cover entirely but this would cause a further problem where a right-hander and left-hander cannot use a gun setup for the other guy since it's offset in their direction. Another way is to have a high perched scope but that's not ideal to use either.

I only know of the AK200 series that has managed to make a top rail that keeps the zero after removing and reinstalling the top cover although I don't know how they did it. Not saying there aren't any others, I just don't know them if any. And I am no gun expert so I might have gotten things wrong.

Killbot

Country flag
Well my skepticism towards their claims of it being indigenous on side for a second,

looks OK to me, like they provided a standard pistol grip + buttstock adapter for SVD to it thus making it possible to give it more ;Battle Rifle; like ergonomics,after that providing front handguards fastened on its default place i.e. on its barrel via those locking tabs and of course hinged top mounted rail that fastens on new pistol grip-buttstock adapter, setup doesn't seem so ideal to me for a long range sniper rifle but guess something's better than nothing, as long as they could make it stiff enough to not wobble it is fine.

Seems design is inspired from Arsenal M5F41 to me lol
View attachment 62624

BTW a sidenote,remember this pic ? probably taken at yudh abhyas or some other exercise...

View attachment 62627
^this upgrade was done by FAB guys with their pattern of pistol grip-buttstock adapter + collapsible buttstock with adjustable cheek piece and of course railed handguards (here covered by sectional rail covers)

They were *this* near to provide us full upgrade package for SVD as well but seems they didn't bother much with top rails much else they might've got the contract who knows.
Putting rails on them is all well and good, but it means squat without optics on them. If the IA has issued a tender for this upgrade, is it reasonable to assume that they have plans for optics as well?
I'd personally like to see a 1-8x LPVO. Cheaper than sniper optics, but do the job.
@Johny_Baba

arkos

Country flag
could these be from 198 Whap tender from last year?
Vehicles for UN missions are selected based on requirements set by the UN and these are shared only with companies participating in the tender. These Mahindra ALSV were selected per UN requirements not Indian Army's. We buy the vehicle, pay for maintenance and training and afterwards UN will repay the amount spent us. UN also regularly inspects the vehicles and if they are not upto the requirement then they will not repay the full amount. Same thing happened with the Malaysians where their vehicles were found to be missing RWS and UN did not pay them back the full amount.

Dessert Storm

Country flag

DianaSanderson43lny

Country flag
I have been wary of usage of words “could” and “May” in news reports for a long time, they pad up a news report with one or two lines of factual information, and then peddle opinion using the words “could” “May” etc.

Anyways, FAB Defence also has a kit for SVD isn’t it?
a report from long time "May" contain information that "could" provide you positive changes in your stuffs, so you should never neglect those things.

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS

Vishalreddy3

Country flag

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Copying and taking inspiration are entirely two different things.Copying without IPR rights attracts copy right violations unless the ipr time period has expired.
If the posts i read are correct they are just buying from here and there and assembling guns.
Copying blindly and ripping off western designs - I am all A OK with this as long as they match the quality and ruggedness and provide our soldiers with superior equipment and saves lives. But then GoI must be ready to step in and defend the Pvt company once a lawsuit gets filed by the western company. This is where chinks have an edge, their govt does not allow such tamasha like courts !

Unknowncommando 2

Country flag
Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Copying blindly and ripping off western designs - I am all A OK with this as long as they match the quality and ruggedness and provide our soldiers with superior equipment and saves lives. But then GoI must be ready to step in and defend the Pvt company once a lawsuit gets filed by the western company. This is where chinks have an edge, their govt does not allow such tamasha like courts !
No govt with sane mind and concerned about their reputation in global trade would encourage such acts. Plus there are already many pvt players who had made JVs with foreign arms manufacturers like Punjlyoyd.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles