Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I believe the 36 M rifle tube would need blank cartridge to be fired. The one in Shivalik has bullet trap technology allowing live munition to be fired.
36 M grenade needs a separate blank cartridge + 7 Second Fuze + Iron ring + adapter firing attachment for barrel of 7.62.
If 4 Second fuze is used there will be an airburst of the grenade at 4 Second which has its own uses.

Due to these, a dedicated "bomber" is required to fire 36 M Grenade. One soldiers amonst ten is nominated and equipped to a "bomber".

For Shivalik Certain things are not clear :

How can the Grenade travel 200 meters when fired from a rifle launching tube as time of fuze is only 4 Seconds ?
Will every Rifleman be able to fire rifle grenade ? Safety ring provided and normal ball round used for firing ?
Any air burst technique ?

Kay

Country flag
36 M grenade needs a separate blank cartridge + 7 Second Fuze + Iron ring + adapter firing attachment for barrel of 7.62.
If 4 Second fuze is used there will be an airburst of the grenade at 4 Second which has its own uses.

Due to these, a dedicated "bomber" is required to fire 36 M Grenade. One soldiers amonst ten is nominated and equipped to a "bomber".

How can the Grenade travel 200 meters when fired from a rifle launching tube as time of fuze is only 4 Seconds ?
Will every Rifleman be able to fire rifle grenade ? Safety ring provided and normal ball round used for firing ?
Normal ball ammunition will be uaed. Rifle grenades tube is secured with a safety ring.
The Shivalik fuze has been designed to function on impact at all angles. Detonation on impact is also a feature of French AVAP40 and AC58 rifle grenades. These French grenades can be used at different ranges from 60 to 320 m.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Safety.jpg

@Kay .. I am sure you have never held a grenade in your hand.

For firing grenade from a rifle a cut Iron safety Ring is fitted on top of and around the grenade, on top of safety lever, with cut portion of ring at the backside of safety liver. Before firing the Safety pin is removed .On firing the safety ring is pushed backwards and comes out, safety liver is released and charge initiated. Safety ring has nothing to do with launching tube as you claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kay

Kay

Country flag
View attachment 34237
@Kay .. I am sure you have never held a grenade in your hand.

For firing grenade from a rifle a cut Iron safety Ring is fitted on top of and around the grenade, on top of safety lever, with cut portion of ring at the backside of safety liver. Before firing the Safety pin is removed .On firing the safety ring is pushed backwards and comes out, safety liver is released and charge initiated. Safety ring has nothing to do with launching tube as you claim.
You are right. I am that pesky keyboard warrior getting all my information from internet :).
I tried to answer some questions you asked. I had a rough idea of what you said from DRDO website, but you explained it better. I was assuming the ring at the base of the grenade to be the safety ring, but your illustration makes things clearer.
https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/techfocus/oct1999/arma.htm

I am surprised that you are questioning the terms offensive and defensive grenades - because they seem to be common army parlance and not something DRDO invented for marketing practices.

Blood+

Country flag

The fuze has an impact mode as well (at least as per DRDO), so there you go.
I'm more concerned about the comparatively smaller amount of explosive filler used in this thing.I mean just a hundred gms??!!Like, for real??!!

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Kitna deti hai ?
Kitne ki hai ?

Specifications ??.

Andar ka maal kahan se kharida hai?
BOSS is totally indigenous in material aspect. As far as specs is concerned, please find it below.

Untitled.jpg

It was deployed as a pilot project in LOC and LAC, so no commercial pricing available as of now.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
BOSS is totally indigenous in material aspect. As far as specs is concerned, please find it below.

View attachment 34363
It was deployed as a pilot project in LOC and LAC, so no commercial pricing available as of now.
Thank you Sir.

I was on one of the first introduced BFSR on LC (run with Microsoft Windows programme).
That used to give all false indication even on blowing wind or a tree swaying due to wind.
No distinction between an animal and a man. lots of running...
So we had to pack it.

I hope those faults have been removed.on Doppler processor and MTI. I also hope that it is not used only as a thermal imager.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Thank you Sir.

I was on one of the first introduced BFSR on LC (run with Microsoft Windows programme).
That used to give all false indication even on blowing wind or a tree swaying due to wind.
No distinction between an animal and a man. lots of running...
So we had to pack it.

I hope those faults have been removed.on Doppler processor and MTI. I also hope that it is not used only as a thermal imager.
Even we faced those initial issues. Good thing is that within the timeframe, most of them were rectified. Hopefully now its working fine as we could see its cut down versions in some tanks too.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The fuze has an impact mode as well (at least as per DRDO), so there you go.

I'm more concerned about the comparatively smaller amount of explosive filler used in this thing.I mean just a hundred gms??!!Like, for real??!!
Answering is more important than understanding ? is it ? First understand ....
If I fire a grenade from a rifle - it will gain a certain trajectory and then reach 200 meters away. Will that be reached in 4 seconds?
If not the grenade will be initiated in 4 seconds while it is in trajectory - that will be airburst and might be unsafe particularly when the firer is in open.

In 36M grenade one had to use 7 second fuze for rifle launching.

That is why the question.

Not much of explosive is required if kill radius desired is 5 meters. What is more important is the number of fragments the blast will generate.

itsme

Country flag
SCAR Ls.
SCAR Hs.
Mk49 LMGs.
Mod Deus HMGS (YESSS) for mounting on LSVs (those Force Gurkhas)
NVGs (quad tubes please)
Some other stuff.
AND AMMO. tonnes of ammo ( because, YES OFB ammo is that patchy)
Hopefully, we get more details on the NVGs, Optics for the SCARs and comm sets would be good too. Fingers crossed.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
SCAR Ls.
SCAR Hs.
Mk49 LMGs.
NVGs (quad tubes please)
Some other stuff.
I thought grain consistency, size and weight was important for sniper ammo only, may be for pistols too. For spraying the bullets around Indian OFB mal is ok.

rkhanna

Country flag
SCAR Ls.
SCAR Hs.
Mk49 LMGs.
NVGs (quad tubes please)
Some other stuff.
Why NVGs ?!! Tombo is making quadtubes in India now. We don't need to go the amrika for optics

binayak95

Country flag
I thought grain consistency, size and weight was important for sniper ammo only, may be for pistols too. For spraying the bullets around Indian OFB mal is ok.
OFB 5.56 is overcooked. Too much powder. It has caused several Tavors and M4s to crack wide open. And many INSASes too, now that I think of it.

binayak95

Country flag
Why NVGs ?!! Tombo is making quadtubes in India now. We don't need to go the amrika for optics
I don't know either, given Tonbo makes good quality stuff;

One complaint that I have heard that Tonbo's offerings are not of MIL-SPEC - they are fragile. A rough bump or two and the electronics get screwed.. they are working on it; in the meantime though....

abingdonboy

Country flag
SCAR Ls.
SCAR Hs.
Mk49 LMGs.
NVGs (quad tubes please)
Some other stuff.
That was the shopping list that was stalled by DAC but 1) not clear if what has been “cleared” is the same stuff and/or 2) what this “clearance” means, deals signed?

I would be VERY surprised if the NVGs are quad tubes.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles