Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Patka has proved its mettle from time to time. In my opinion, we shouldn't redesign the shape of the patka, however, there is always scope of improvisation only in terms metal used in the patka. You mean like this ?
Looks good but not good enough as those fancy helmets.

I meant something like FAST patka ? Something that could provide all around head protection and sturdy as Patka as well ?

aliyah

watch complete video................... then comment

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

From a Bengaluru-based Indian start up that's making waves in the area of indigenous thermal and weapon sights. First orders placed by NSG recently. More orders expected from the other central police and paramilitary organisations. Stay tuned, you'll be hearing a lot of Tonbo in the next few days.

indiatester

Country flag
watch complete video................... then comment
Very interesting. And I don't even know if our garuds use Level III Kevlar helmets. One article says its ACH which should be more inferior IMO. What helmets are suitable for protection against AK47?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There is a reason Patka offer limited protection, Its mainly due to trade-off between protection and weight, There are helmets which offer protection against 7.62x39mm but are nearly 2-2.5kgs heavy ..

SM group was working on a helmet which use boron carbide and promised to be lighter but never worked in real conditions, This one though was 1.5kgs and protected from only 9x19mm rounds, Inferior to what MKU was offering with its lighter bolt-less helmets.

All these cool looking helmets are vulnerable to 7.62x39mm at any ranges ..

Are there no helmets that can provide full protection against standard firearms used by terrorist?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
=====================
=====================

Very interesting. And I don't even know if our garuds use Level III Kevlar helmets. One article says its ACH which should be more inferior IMO. What helmets are suitable for protection against AK47?

Willy2

I can't remember him right now but one senior member here replied me once that Patka's AK resistance capability is unquestionable...but Patka's inability to suppress/absorb the momentum and shock from high velocity bullet cause severe skull damage and death..thats why new helmets are better...how sound this point is ?

Mangal

Country flag
Pictures from CT area ..

=======
=======

I don't remember exactly where I read it. I suppose it was in this forum that the guy whose patka is in the pic died due to excessive blood loss due to injury over neck area. I guess both patka and helmets have pros and cons.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Trauma pads can be fitted inside patka helmets just as they are fitted in western style helmets.But it will add weight. In other countries the army would have funded the improvement of the patka helmets. But here in India we are dumping the indegeneous designs and going for fancy looking western style helmets which cannot withstand the AK 7.62*39 mm round which is the weapon of choice of the terrorist.
End result: as more of these helmets are inducted our casualties due to head shots will increase in kashmir.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Patkas have many variation and manufactured by many Indian companies including TATA, some of these which are in service don`t have much of trauma padding ..

Instead of going for newer design they went for these cool looking helmets which offer better trauma padding and accessories but lack protection from heavy bullets such as 7.62M43, It would have make sense if these helmet went for infantry units which are not active in CT areas ..

========

The difference between tin bucket and MKU design is that MKU got more turma padding, protection level is same as tin buckets, The ACH was used by PARA SF for some time but no longer seen again ..

@aliyah

I can't remember him right now but one senior member here replied me once that Patka's AK resistance capability is unquestionable...but Patka's inability to suppress/absorb the momentum and shock from high velocity bullet cause severe skull damage and death..thats why new helmets are better...how sound this point is ?
The first pic has a BREN!!! Love that gun. Though heavy and 30 rounds is a bit less.

Second pic, what;s the LMG the soldier on the far right is carrying over his shoulder??

Flame Thrower

I dont think that is true.

Patka saved soldiers life....six months
ago.

Terrorists fired AK from close distance (maybe 30mts or less) that news was posted in in the tread also.

While Mukuts could withstand only 9 mm.

I wish we had tests comparing both Patka and 9mm.

If those two soldiers were wearing Patkas then they would be alive today and celebrating Diwali with their company.

Here is the link. https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.ndtv.com/india-news/gunner-rishi-kumar-killed-2-terrorists-bulletproof-patka-saved-his-life-1687274?amp=1&akamai-rum=off

From article's picture, it seems that soldier had no head injury let alone skull crushing damage.

Vinod DX9

Country flag
Superb video...... I guess there are really no "Bullet Proof" helmets at all.... Patka don't give protection in the top

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles