Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

rkhanna

Country flag
Is this a stop-gap measure or a final purchase? Looks like the latter, but that means integrated comms only for commanders and not for the section? Not sure if the entire section needs it though. They will most likely stay within earshot of each other. :confused1:
Still, it looks cool.
No first world military also fields integrated comms across its soldiers. SOF, Recon / Ghatak Units is different and would get individually IMO.

Also i pray that we atleast get the sizing right and dont give our soldiers oversized darthvader helmets

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas I have a few questions for you
1)Why can't we train more SF than foot soldiers...because they can do any mission behind enemy lines,they don't need more rations(Once rations finished SF are trained to earn food,unlike foot soldiers rely on rations)
2)I have seen many old war videos of our soldiers charging on enemy like a whole group,that will give enemy more chances of hitting our soldiers...why can't hit enemy with stealth attack
3)How much ammunition did a small group or squad carry? is that enough for fighting for long time and what if the backup didn't comes?

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
@Kunal Biswas I have a few questions for you
1)Why can't we train more SF than foot soldiers...because they can do any mission behind enemy lines,they don't need more rations(Once rations finished SF are trained to earn food,unlike foot soldiers rely on rations)
2)I have seen many old war videos of our soldiers charging on enemy like a whole group,that will give enemy more chances of hitting our soldiers...why can't hit enemy with stealth attack
3)How much ammunition did a small group or squad carry? is that enough for fighting for long time and what if the backup didn't comes?
1. SF is akin to a scalpel and regular infantry is like a broadsword. One can not replace the other. Both are needed in an optimal ratio.
BTW SF dropped behind enemy lines are not self sufficient. They also rely on air support for resupply. So, regular infantry is much easier to supply than an SF behind enemy lines.

2. Soldiers don't charge unaided and haphazardly into an enemy defensive line. They employ different tactics. The most basic of these is the "fire and move tactic". For more infotainment on infantry tactics and the first question, watch HBO miniseries " Band of Brothers".

3. Watch Band of brothers episode 5 (as far as I remember). It shows how a para brigade surrounded by enemy and without support and resupply fought off the enemy in biting cold during world war 2. Its called "Battle of the bulge".

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Only commanders of small infantry formation like squad or platoon will have that helmet i am showing on first post, Units serving on front lines will get these helmets first ..

Nothing can replace Patkas, PARA SF has these helmets but they prefer PATKAs at field ..
Para SF has these in limited service except 4th and 11 Para has these in sufficient numbers.

But i agree no helmet can replace Patkas completely.

Adioz

Only commanders of small infantry formation like squad or platoon will have that helmet i am showing on first post
You mean only the helmets of commanders will have rails to mount equipment?

Btw MKU has a range of helmets catering to all sorts of roles. This one, Mukut, is for airborne troops:-
Mukut.png

They also have ones for tank crews:-
Tank crew helmet @ MKU.png
:-
It has better protection against frags.

Considering that the order is for some 1.5 million helmets, is it safe to say that everyone will get them? And that they will get different ones depending on whether they are light infantry, mechanized soldiers or airborne?

Adioz

I just found out, MKU is a subsidiary of GKG group (Indian Company) and a registered NATO supplier. It supplies gear for infantries all across the world to 100+ countries. :shock:

It manufactures the world's lightest helmet @ 1kg. It also manufactures night vision devices, ballistic shields, ballistic blankets and ballistic briefcases, ALL TYPES of body armour (including bomb-proof suits) and a variety of customized armour for various land, airborne and naval systems.
:notbad:

It is currently has products with 6th generation armour technology (40% lighter, 30% thinner and 50% more flexible).
:eek1:

They manufacture all this for 230+ forces worldwide. THEN WHY THE HELL DO OUR TROOPS STILL HAVE VINTAGE GEAR?
:facepalm:
:smash:
:frusty:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It said only commander helmets will have integrated radio headsets, I am assuming the rest will have mounts for mounting various equipment ..

You mean only the helmets of commanders will have rails to mount equipment?

Last edited:

Gessler

Country flag
Radio headsets will be available only to the commanders. But in all likelihood, atleast the front NVG mount will be available to everyone. Side rails...I'm not sure about those. They're only good for mounting flashlights or field cameras AFAIK.

Unlikely that the regular infantry will get the side rails.

WARREN SS

Country flag
170 cr or 140 cr Indian army spend that Much About on Stationaries

1-2 billion $ is Enough to Equip 2-3 of the Strength of Active Troops in Indian army

It Shame how Army Unable to Spend billions $ Which goes Back into Treasury

hardip

Some excellent progress being made! We're getting the head protection & vest/body armor departments in order...now we need to back these up with the following elements :

• Customizable, multi-tier chest rigs. A good belt, combined with the molle on the vest should allow for a fairly good rig/backpack arrangement that a unit can customize according to the tactical requirements in that battlespace.

• Upgraded clothing (BDU/TDU-type) with spaces for accommodating knee/elbow pad inserts. If at all the Army has a plan for a new camoflague pattern scheme (ACU-type or MARPAT digicam or anything else), now would be the time to think seriously about it.

We get these ready, together with the AAR/MCIWS rifle system, modern NVGs etc., and we'll have one of the best-equipped infantry (especially when compared with the size of the Army in question) in the world.

It's good to see that MoD and FinMin are finally looking to plug the huge gaps existing within the Army's infantry equipment procurement programs. It's one of the most basic things of any military and it's an utter shame that they received as little attention from the higher-ups as they did till now. Well, I guess better late than never!
Some excellent progress being made! We're getting the head protection & vest/body armor departments in order...now we need to back these up with the following elements :

• Customizable, multi-tier chest rigs. A good belt, combined with the molle on the vest should allow for a fairly good rig/backpack arrangement that a unit can customize according to the tactical requirements in that battlespace.

• Upgraded clothing (BDU/TDU-type) with spaces for accommodating knee/elbow pad inserts. If at all the Army has a plan for a new camoflague pattern scheme (ACU-type or MARPAT digicam or anything else), now would be the time to think seriously about it.

We get these ready, together with the AAR/MCIWS rifle system, modern NVGs etc., and we'll have one of the best-equipped infantry (especially when compared with the size of the Army in question) in the world.

It's good to see that MoD and FinMin are finally looking to plug the huge gaps existing within the Army's infantry equipment procurement programs. It's one of the most basic things of any military and it's an utter shame that they received as little attention from the higher-ups as they did till now. Well, I guess better late than never!

Needs is OK..

but india is so faaaaaar.. away like this.. need (very important) gear...

कब तक चलता है तो चलने दे..

चलता जाएगा???

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
It would b shame for management if they scrap this deal or delay it...
As per my knowledge...there is an Indian company which exports BP vests to european countries...and our chaps got nothing better. No wonder our government always puts soldiers to risk.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

PAPA

Country flag
It would b shame for management if they scrap this deal or delay it...
As per my knowledge...there is an Indian company which exports BP vests to european countries...and our chaps got nothing better. No wonder our government always puts soldiers to risk.

yes that company is Kanpur-based " MKU" and that company will make combat helmetes for Indian army ...........................MKU also supply helmets to US Army .

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
yes that company is Kanpur-based " MKU" and that company will make combat helmetes for Indian army ...........................MKU also supply helmets to US Army .
Company will make or is making helmets for our chaps?

PAPA

Country flag
Company will make or is making helmets for our chaps?

they are Making Helmets for NATO........ ...they are not making helmets for Indian army because there was no order from Indian army , it is a recent order ............. After getting orders from Army they just have to manufacture these helmets ..............no research or development or testing is required , their Factories are already established in Kanpur ,
so it will not take much time .

republic_roi97

Country flag
Hello sir, I am new here so please bear with me :tongue: if I ask something stupid :india2:or something that has been answered before. Do MKU guys at Kanpur allow civilians to enter their campus to see their products and stuff ?

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Hello sir, I am new here so please bear with me :tongue: if I ask something stupid :india2:or something that has been answered before. Do MKU guys at Kanpur allow civilians to enter their campus to see their products and stuff ?
I think you need to take permission or you need recommendation to visit a plant.
On some occasions they exhibit their products and it may be open to public.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles