Modern Infantry Equipment Updates

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Taiwanese soldiers wearing ballistic masks look like 'the cavalry from hell'

Images of Taiwanese soldiers decked out in black body armour and ballistic masks have gone viral thanks to exposure on Japanese news sites, where viewers compared the look of the officers to something out of a video game or comic book.

The photographs, originally part of a series taken during a 2011 ceremonial parade in Taipei, depict Taiwan's Armed Forces, including both male and female special operations soldiers and military frogmen.

All of the soldiers in the photos wield heavy weaponry including assault rifles, bulletproof shields and submachine guns, but the images that especially captivated netizens were those that showed the elite forces wearing ballistic face masks.

Japanese Twitter users said that these elite force units looked like something out of a video game. Photo: DDN Japan

"They look like the calvary from hell," wrote a blogger on Japanese news portal DDN Japan, where the images went viral after they were posted on 19 October, attracting over 500 shares on Twitter and nearly 700 Facebook likes.

The photos were originally taken during a 2011 military parade in Taipei. Photo: DDN Japan

Other internet users compared the intimidating masks to the headgear worn by Japanese kendo fighters, while some said that they were reminded of characters in the video game franchise Army of Two, which features two armed mercenaries fighting in locations like Somalia and Shanghai.

The photos were later picked up by Western sites like Kotaku, which said that the soldiers were reminiscent of "comic book villains."

In reality, ballistic face masks are usually made of bullet resistant synthetic materials like Kevlar and are meant to protect soldiers from head wounds. The masks are padded for shock absorption and are built to absorb close-range shots of anything up to a .44 Magnum. Wearing a mask does not render a soldier completely bulletproof, however, as the force of a bullet's impact can still fracture a person's skull, depending on the proximity of the blast and the firearm used.

Taiwanese soldiers wearing ballistic masks look like ‘the cavalry from hell’ | StratRisks

まるでホラー「台湾の特殊部隊」のいかつさは異常 | DDN JAPAN

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
FN MINIMI Mk3 (7.62mm and 5.56mm)

FN Herstal's update of the FN MINIMI, the FN MINIMI Mk3 is probably the most important new firearm of 2013 given its widespread use by the militaries of North American, South America, Europe, South East Asia and Oceania. The new FN MINIMI Mk3, which will be chambered in both 7.62mm and 5.56mm NATO, features a number of upgraded components over the previous version.

Users of the FN MINIMI (China may also be using a clone)

FN MINIMI MK3 Upgraded Components highlighted in blue.

The old fixed stock has been replaced with a 5-position adjustable stock that has a 4 position adjustable cheek piece (two positions for iron sights and two for optics). The stock also integrates a shoulder rest and hydraulic buffer The forend/rail/ bipod have been upgraded and the folding bipod is now more compact and will not get in the way of accessories mounted on the picatinny rails. The topcover and feed tray has been upgraded for easier one-handed reloading. The cocking handle (not pictured above) is more more ergonomic and easier to operate with either the strong or weak hand. A new heat shield is an optional accessory.

Read more here-
FN MINIMI Mk3 (7.62mm and 5.56mm) - The Firearm Blog

SPIEZ

Country flag
Reebok 8 inch Dauntless Desert Tan Army Boot

The Reebok 8"³ Dauntless Desert Tan boot is available at US Patriot Tactical. The boot features a suede leather and 100 denier ballistic nylon upper, with an AEGIS anti-microbial moisture wicking lining. The outsole is an injected EVA midsole with rubber heel and forefoot pads. It comes standard with a moisture wicking, vented, shock absorbing, removable insole. Other features include 550 paracord laces and 100% non-metallic side air/drain vents.

Source : Reebok 8" Dauntless Desert Tan Boot
Kunal sir, sorry if off-topic.

What do you feel about Woodland shoes.

Before some really rich and highly educated guys comment, I would say Woodland shoes offer the best comfort and the longest life at affordable price.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I like woodland alot myself, Woodland shoes and garments are made in UP India ..

There shoes are very rugged but heavy often, Regarding garments, I consider there cargo are best among others in India and same clothing if used for Armed forces would be very nice..

Before some really rich and highly educated guys comment, I would say Woodland shoes offer the best comfort and the longest life at affordable price.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

I have a Pair of Woodland Shoes ..I used them more than 2 years ..Still It's shiny and New while using everywhere From Function to Playing

SPIEZ

Country flag
I have a Pair of Woodland Shoes ..I used them more than 2 years ..Still It's shiny and New while using everywhere From Function to Playing
Shining Woodland! No offense, my friend but you have used it to full potential.

Kay

Country flag
Hello Everybody
I have a query about the rations and survival kits of soldiers (not any particular army). In general, how many days of rations and water does a soldier carry in his/her backpack? So, in case the soldier gets isolated from the army/unit, how long would he/she survive on the basis of food and water carried in backpack alone?
I have heard of energy drinks, energy gels, energy biscuits, etc.? Are these viable alternatives to normal food?
Can the food carried by soldiers be consumed without cooking, heating and during battle? How is the food isolated/protected from harmful chemicals in battlefield?
Is it possible to carry ice instead of water to save volume?
Thanks in advance.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Hello Everybody
I have a query about the rations and survival kits of soldiers (not any particular army). In general, how many days of rations and water does a soldier carry in his/her backpack? So, in case the soldier gets isolated from the army/unit, how long would he/she survive on the basis of food and water carried in backpack alone?
I have heard of energy drinks, energy gels, energy biscuits, etc.? Are these viable alternatives to normal food?
Can the food carried by soldiers be consumed without cooking, heating and during battle? How is the food isolated/protected from harmful chemicals in battlefield?
Is it possible to carry ice instead of water to save volume?
Thanks in advance.
MREInfo.com - Home

And some history :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kay

Country flag
@W.G.Ewald: Great links and nice video :) Should have thanked earlier, but was not getting the time to visit and post in the forum.
I did some goggling. Apparently DRDO maintains a dedicated lab for food processing and I am surprised to find that the food looks quite tasty (hopefully!)
DRDO
:)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
@W.G.Ewald: Great links and nice video :) Should have thanked earlier, but was not getting the time to visit and post in the forum.
I did some goggling. Apparently DRDO maintains a dedicated lab for food processing and I am surprised to find that the food looks quite tasty (hopefully!)
DRDO
:)
Some of the best meals I have eaten have been off a steel tray on the fender of a truck, served by a field mess in the rain. God bless US Army cooks. We only joke when we say their motto is "Death from Within." :)

Reactions: Kay

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Titan Backpack

LBT's Titan backpack is a mid-sized modular backpack with multiple hook and loop pouch configuration capabilities. The main compartment base and side panels are fully lined with loop for customization. Two mesh zippered pockets line the front internal panel along with loop above and below for call signs/patch storage. A top zippered access pocket features three 1"³ elastic loops, for items such as tac lights, pistol mags, or utility tools. An external angled side zippered pocket fits miscellaneous items and a lower side mesh pocket features bungie retention for items such as bottles. A dual zippered access back compartment is capable of fitting up to a 15"³ MacBook Pro without a case. The Titan also features a padded breathable mesh back with air flow channels.

More here : London Bridge Trading - Titan Low Vis Backpack Available for Pre-order - Soldier Systems Daily

Reactions: Kay

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
D30 Reactive Protection Body Armor Add-On

This week's post from Tactical-Life.com covers D3O Lab's Reactive Protection body armor add-on. D3O is a non-Newtonian polymer material, and when worn underneath traditional body armor can absorb and mitigate the continued force of a stopped round, reducing or even eliminating shock effects. Through its TRUST (Trauma Reduction and Unrivaled Shock Technology) label, D3O Lab is producing knee and elbow pads, boot insoles, helmet pads, and a jacket with pad panels for military applications.

Your rigid body armor is heavy and cumbersome, but it will prevent a PK round from boring a hole in your chest. That's only half the story, however. The big bullet unleashes a large amount of force even if it bounces off your protective plate. It will knock you off your feet with sledgehammer force, crushing the armor against your body with enough impact to break ribs and shock critical organs.

Fortunately, you're wearing additional protection, a seemingly magical vest between your armor and your body that protects you from blunt-force trauma even though it defies your understanding. You move forward, cautious but confident, and help to neutralize the opposition. Danger does not come your way this day, but you are ready for it.

More here : D30 Reactive Protection | Body Armor Add-On | High-Tech | Tactical Life

Austinjimson

Hey kunal I saw on youtube that us army has developed "Dragon skin"bullet proof jacket for soldiers. Has our DRDO has anything similar to dragon skin because dragon skins are known to protect soldiers from HE grenades??

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Immanuel

Country flag
I think time for some new home made boots ideally by a collab between Woodland and DRDO to develop lightweight boots for Daily Police work, State Armed Police, SWAT teams and offcours a range for Infantry (ranging from Desert, Jungle, moutain warfare combat boots)

Based on certain designs already existing in Woodland line up, I don't see why with some adding comfort padding, water proofing and strengthening of the seams spin off can be developed for the IA, police forces and tactical units. They even come in a few colors.

This one could be an ideal daily police duty boot, comes in Khaki color.

Woodland Worldwide

This can be spinned off into a basic Infantry boot

Woodland Worldwide GREEN

This looks like a good tactical boot

Woodland Worldwide

Reebok boots are good but normally Bates, Danner have more experience, they do make some of the finest military boots out there.

Police Boots & Shoes - Shop Military Boots & Shoes | Bates Footwear

Danner - Boots

As for the LMG& MMGs, I think the modern Negev 5 and NG7 are better than the Minimis, both offer Semi auto modes and are light. NG5 is already in use by some forces in the IA/IN.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles