Mob attacks man for moving HC to remove temple

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Mob attacks man for moving HC to remove temple
TNN 5 August 2009, 03:33am IST

AHMEDABAD: Controversy over a temple led to trouble in Sola area here on Monday night, with a riotous mob vandalising a bungalow near Bhuyangdev
cross-roads and assaulting its owner Jagdish Patel because he had moved the Gujarat High Court for the removal of a temple near his house.

Anticipating demolition by Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation, following the High Court order, the mob went berserk, even attacking the policemen who rushed to the spot. The pandemonium continued from 10 pm to 2 am and the police had to resort to lathicharge and burst 18 tear gas shells to bring the situation under control.

Tempers ran high even on Tuesday, with a large number of devotees continuing to surround the temple. Patel, who fled his house with his wife and son on Monday, has not been able to get back home.

Patel, a resident of Shakuntal bungalows, tried to get a four-feet-high temple removed from near his house. After failing to move the municipal authorities, Patel moved the Gujarat High Court, which had ruled in his favour on May 1.

The excitement had been building up ever since the order was passed, with people, including women in the neighbourhood, keeping a vigil at the temple all night.

Following this episode, SRP jawans were posted at the spot to keep matters under control. Five persons were injured in the stone pelting. A complaint was later registered at Ghatlodia police station and five persons were arrested for rioting.

Mob attacks man for moving HC to remove temple - Ahmedabad - City - NEWS - The Times of India

threadbrowser

Sigh....religion.

probably another case of land encroachment using temple excuse.
I remember near my home a nice little park with a tree at the center. First it was only a garland, then a year later an idol then a small shrine. Now, 7 years down the line there is no park at all only a temple on one side and a commercial complex pumping out money on the other.

Flint

Even Modi couldn't get temples removed from the streets of Gandhinagar.

IMO, this has more to do with complete lack of trust for the administration among people, rather than religion.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Sigh....religion.

probably another case of land encroachment using temple excuse.
I remember near my home a nice little park with a tree at the center. First it was only a garland, then a year later an idol then a small shrine. Now, 7 years down the line there is no park at all only a temple on one side and a commercial complex pumping out money on the other.
SC has issued guidelines that new religious worshipping places should be not constructed in the commercial places and the existing ones should not be expanded , and i really think its the right decision .

fateh71

Just land grabbing in the name of religion. These scums should be branded with hot iron... in the shape of their favorite religious symbol of course.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good thing that these temples constructed wherever one likes cannot be accepted. Same is with mazaars!

I find driving so irritating becauee of this obstructions!

Antimony

Just land grabbing in the name of religion. These scums should be branded with hot iron... in the shape of their favorite religious symbol of course.
Which would transofrm them into Martyrs and instant celebrities, apart from being illegal.

Tactically not a good move, leaving the legal angle aside

Since we are exploring illegal options, I say that we can convert them to their leastfavourtite religion, sit back and watch the fun.

Of course, this is a discussion only, we cannot actually practice it.

Anyway, back to the topic

Yes, land grabbing in the name of religion. SC can issue whatever they want, It is upto the politicians to implement, and threy would not dare or care

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
anti thats so cheap man whats so wrong with having a temple near to you house ??

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Good thing that these temples constructed wherever one likes cannot be accepted. Same is with mazaars!

I find driving so irritating becauee of this obstructions!
Mazaars are basically old graves which are existing since for more than 150 to 1000 years and are creating problems in the present day because of the newly constructed roads and the increase in vehicles .

Antimony

anti thats so cheap man whats so wrong with having a temple near to you house ??
Nothing, as long as it is built on legally acquired land. And that goes for any religious, civilian, government, commercial, industrial and military structure.

That goes for dham all everything that I can thinmk of.

If not, well, then it is encroachment and goes againsts the rights of the property owners, be they public or private

Unfortunately, that is not how it works in India. :((

fateh71

F14, please note these so called temples are illegal constructons that come up overnight just to protect some other illegal structures around it, as its easy to riot in the name of protecting a temple compared to the illegal chaiwala next to it.

BTW court ordered its removal, don't you have any respect for rule of law???

Abt antimoney and me, we were just having some fun and do not actually advocate what we said in jest. our disgust was genuine though.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles