• Amazing

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Looks cool man. Did you play this game?. If so, what kind of A/Cs are in the game.

J

JattDaDanda

Looks cool man. Did you play this game?. If so, what kind of A/Cs are in the game.
this is very addictive game i played mostly in MIG-29 and SUkhoi. because i like our aircrafts. They let u edit the entire scenario with air-refuelers and AWACS A-50.
A-10 and F15s are also playable. You have f-16, f-18, f-4, Su-25, Mirage-2000, Su-34, Su-24, Mig-25.
Other options are to use Russian Air Craft Carrier and USS Carrier with both Navy Flotila's.
You could have Ground support from artillery and S-300 all variants air defence Systems.
I bought this game for 10$ on EBAY. Its worth it.:twizt:

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
History of Guns That Can Shoot Around Corners

5 Guns That Can Shoot Around Corners

By James R. Rummel on July 15, 2009 1:51 AM | 5 Comments

It is the dream of any infantryman in combat, as well as a fair number of gunfighters, to be able to lay down accurate, aimed fire on the enemy while staying safe and happy behind a big piece of real estate. This is why castle walls and fortifications have firing loops and crenellations, as they allow the defenders to keep the majority of their bodies behind cover while shooting at the bad guys.
But what about a gun that would allow you to accurately shoot at the aforementioned bad guys while exposing nary a hair on your chinny-chin-chin? That would be the best!
Soldiers, for some reason, are dedicated to coming up with novel ways to keep as safe as possible, particularly when the bullets are flying thick and fast. That is why there have been a number of inventions over the past century to allow someone to keep to cover while still in the fight. I discuss five of them below.
1) The Trench Rifle/Periscope Rifle
Why the two names above? Because which label is used depends on who you talk to.
It is extremely difficult for those of us living today to appreciate just how horrible trench warfare was at the time. The death toll was almost unthinkable, yet men continued to be fed into that particular meatgrinder by the hundreds of thousands. No wonder they were desperate to find ways to reduce the risk.
According to this Wikipedia entry, an Australian building foreman named Sergeant William Beech is credited with inventing and using the first "Trench Mount". It was little more than a frame of wood designed to firmly hold a rifle overhead, with a few mirrors arranged in periscope fashion to allow the operator to use the sights. A piece of string was rung through the trigger guard to fire the gun.
Shoot at the Turks without providing a target for return fire. Can you guess how popular that turned out to be? Pretty soon the troops were tearing apart shipping crates down on the Gallipoli beach, not for the tea and bully-beef inside but for the wood they needed to make more frames. Shaving mirrors were being collected to be used on the sights.
I have no idea where they found the string.

Originally knocked together using materials found in any decently sized trash heap, the advantages to the trench mount was that it was cheap, simple, used common equipment, and was also generally effective in the intended role.

That, of course, meant that someone had to try and improve on the entire concept.
The French did this by constructing a special-use rifle with an odd Z shaped stock, pictures of which are deucedly hard to come by. The best I can do is the following tiny jpg, but it should be enough for you to make out a few details.

As you can see, the rifle's furniture, or wood parts, was simply changed into this very heavy monstrosity. A spiky bipod, perfect for jamming into the mud at the top of the trench, supplied stability.
The advantages were that the periscope mirrors were a part of the gun, which meant that they didn't have to be adjusted every time the rifle was hauled back down under the earth for reloading. The disadvantage, and it was a big one, was that the gun was useless for any other purpose. Better have a standard rifle nearby, one equipped with a bayonet, or else you would be in trouble if the Huns decided to charge.
The British eventually started to issue frames that their standard issue rifles could be screwed into. Very curious devices, they have a sort of steampunk, or Victorian mad scientist, look to them.

The same advantages were realized with this contraption that were enjoyed when using the French trench guns. The periscope was fixed, and didn't have to be realigned with every reload. But, while the gun could be used as a regular weapon when taken out of the frame, it also took some time to free it from the device. It took the Americans, Johnny-come-latelies to trench warfare, to come up with the perfect solution.

The guts of the weapon are a standard M1903 Springfield, but the stock is a delight of Transformers retrotech. With the stock in normal carry mode it would function as a standard infantry rifle in all ways. Pull a single pin near the trigger guard and the beast would unfold into a marvel of Yankee ingenuity.
The mirrors that made up the periscope sight would normally be carried in the stock, safe from most mishaps. As long as the rifle wasn't too roughly handled, it would only have to be sighted in at the firing range during Basic Training. You could even unfold that bad boy into overhead configuration and start sniping at the enemy trenches with a bayonet still attached. If the enemy decided that they had enough of your deadly fire and charged your trench, the stock could be made ready to repel unfriendly infantry in mere seconds.
But, like I said, the Americans weren't in the war long enough to put too many of these guns into the field. Pity, that. I want one just due to the looks of the thing, and I wouldn't get caught dead defending a muddy trench somewhere if I could at all help it.

5 Guns That Can Shoot Around Corners - Hell in a Handbasket

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
2) The StG 44 Kraumlauf
The Germans are credited with inventing the first true assault rifle during WWII, the Sturmgewehr 44. An extremely innovative bunch that liked to think outside of the box, they also came up with an attachement that could fire around corners. This is the Krummlauf Vorsatz, or "Curved Barrel Attachement".

It has been said that the inspiration for this particular mod was both the Battle of Stalingrad and the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. In both instances, the Germans with their 5-shot, bolt action rifles were at a serious disadvantage when faced with spitting-close, brutal combat in built up urban areas. "Vouldn't it be grate if vee had the schnell-firing gun that shoots-it around the corners, ya?"
So they made one.
A number of curved barrels, with various degrees of bend, were tried out. Model J with a 30 degree angle was the only one that was mass produced and issued in any significant numbers. This seemed to be the best trade off possible.
The Krummlauff came with a prismatic sight optical sight that twisted the image 30 degrees. This allowed aimed shots to be placed on-target without requiring the operator to stick his head out from behind cover.

The Germans seemed to be rather satisfied with the entire idea, and even started to look for other uses. They thought the Krummlauf might be nifty if used from inside of a tank, or even a bunker, to clear away annoying enemy infantry.

There were a few problems with the curved barrel mod, though. This webpage claims that Krummlauf muzzle velocity was a mere 300 m/sec, or about half the normal speed, due to the bullet scraping against the side of the barrel. This wasn't exactly a deal breaker, since the Germans were always intending to use this configuration in extremely close order battles.
The other problem was wear and tear. One side of the barrel would, very obviously, be subjected to some extreme stresses as it bent the path of the bullet. Estimates as to the number of shots that could be cycled through the barrel before it started to develop holes varies widely, with numbers between 1,000 and 2,000 rounds being quoted. I have no idea which one is more accurate, but it seems obvious that a large number of replacement barrels would have had to be kept at hand if the weapon was going to be used for any extended length if time.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
3) PPSh-45 Experimental
The Russians stole the idea for the assault rifle from the Germans. Why not steal the concept of a gun that can shoot around corners because of a bent barrel?

(Source)
This was an experimental submachine gun based off of the extremely successful PPSh-41. Apparently it was first completed during the last days of WWII in 1945, which was too late to be put into production with an expectation that it would have any effect on the war. This means it was an intriguing idea, but one that never saw any practical use.
You can watch a very interesting video at this link. It seems that the barrel of this particular gun could be twisted around so the gun could more easily be used as either an around-the-corner gun, or as a periscope gun. The optical sight seems to be much simpler than the German version, which probably means that it would be much cheaper but also less accurate.
It would have been interesting to see if this gun would have proved to be useful during the street fighting in Berlin. Pity it never had the chance to prove itself.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
4) The CornerShot
Most firearm enthusiasts have heard of the CornerShot. An extremely simple concept, the original weapon was merely a hinged frame that held a standard military pistol. A high definition digital camera was built in to the front of the frame, facing the same way as the gun. A small TV screen at the back allowed the operator to see what the gun was pointing towards, while the hinge allowed the operator to stay safely behind cover.

The pistol version proved to be very popular, so the company has also introduced an assault rifle variant, as well as one that fires 40mm grenades.

This seems to be the ultimate version of the original trench gun. The barrel is pointed directly at the enemy, so the gun won't wear out as fast as the Krummlauff. And digital cameras certainly provide a better sight picture, as well as being less meddlesome, than mirrors used in a periscope arrangement. There has even been a rather tongue-in-cheek effort to camouflage the barrel of the CornerShot.

Cute, huh?
The only real drawback I can see to the CornerShot, besides the fact that all of those digital cameras and little TV screens might be too delicate for use on the battlefield, is that they are expensive. SWAT teams and Special Forces might be able to afford them, but they are pretty much off the table so far as the average street cop is concerned.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
5) The Wireless Guncam
Technology keeps marching on, getting smaller and less expensive every year. I suppose it was inevitable that we would see something like this.

Sold through mail order, the camera can be attached to a standard handgun equipment rail. Going for $1200 USD for both the camera and receiver, it is certainly less expensive than the CornerShot. Less safe, too, since at least the hand holding the gun has to be exposed.
EPILOGUE
Devices such as these are useful, but only in extremely limited circumstances. Trench warfare at the scale and intensity found during WWI hasn't been repeated in close to 100 years, and advances in military technology has insured that it almost certainly won't happen again. Ditto for Stalingrad.
While it might be a good idea to have a few around-the-corner guns on hand in case they are needed, it would appear that they are now to be found in the role of hostage rescue and counter-terrorism. I really don't think that this is a bad thing.

venom

DFI Technocrat
2) The StG 44 Kraumlauf
The Germans are credited with inventing the first true assault rifle during WWII, the Sturmgewehr 44. An extremely innovative bunch that liked to think outside of the box, they also came up with an attachement that could fire around corners. This is the Krummlauf Vorsatz, or "Curved Barrel Attachement".

It has been said that the inspiration for this particular mod was both the Battle of Stalingrad and the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. In both instances, the Germans with their 5-shot, bolt action rifles were at a serious disadvantage when faced with spitting-close, brutal combat in built up urban areas. "Vouldn't it be grate if vee had the schnell-firing gun that shoots-it around the corners, ya?"
So they made one.
A number of curved barrels, with various degrees of bend, were tried out. Model J with a 30 degree angle was the only one that was mass produced and issued in any significant numbers. This seemed to be the best trade off possible.
The Krummlauff came with a prismatic sight optical sight that twisted the image 30 degrees. This allowed aimed shots to be placed on-target without requiring the operator to stick his head out from behind cover.

The Germans seemed to be rather satisfied with the entire idea, and even started to look for other uses. They thought the Krummlauf might be nifty if used from inside of a tank, or even a bunker, to clear away annoying enemy infantry.

There were a few problems with the curved barrel mod, though. This webpage claims that Krummlauf muzzle velocity was a mere 300 m/sec, or about half the normal speed, due to the bullet scraping against the side of the barrel. This wasn't exactly a deal breaker, since the Germans were always intending to use this configuration in extremely close order battles.
The other problem was wear and tear. One side of the barrel would, very obviously, be subjected to some extreme stresses as it bent the path of the bullet. Estimates as to the number of shots that could be cycled through the barrel before it started to develop holes varies widely, with numbers between 1,000 and 2,000 rounds being quoted. I have no idea which one is more accurate, but it seems obvious that a large number of replacement barrels would have had to be kept at hand if the weapon was going to be used for any extended length if time.

Battle of Stalingrad ....hmmmm just was the movie - Enemy At The Gates, Its a classic Masterpiece...

Tamil

Country flag
Desert Scorpions

Desert Scorpions - IA

:2guns::2guns:

indian_sukhoi

Nice topic Tamil,

I liked those bike pictures, There is a record by Army team called 'Tornadoes' with 34 people on a bike.

Tamil

Country flag
guys can anybody tell me what is that black thing above the ear of this commandos,in the pics????
wireless???

Yes is the receivers only. they are called as Special Service Force.

Tnx 4 ur compliment.:india:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles